Author Topic: Do RPG'S have a place in the BFS?  (Read 12866 times)

Offline CraigLockley

• BFS Reviewers
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Knifesedge PBeM RPGs
Do RPG'S have a place in the BFS?
« on: April 24, 2003, 01:02:44 am »
I mentioned this elsewhere, but thought it deserved a mention here as it's dedicated to the subject. Are there any BFS members out there that feel that Roleplaying Games should get coverage by the BFS (mainly through Prism, for example) ?
As Indie Press Reviews Editor, I notice there is an increasing amount of fiction (be it Fantasy, Sci Fi or Horror) based in RPG worlds, usually produced by RPG companies. I myself and a gamer (and proud  :D ) but have never heard any discussions among members at Con's I have attended, so wondered what the general feeling is. Have your say now!
Craig
BFS Indie Press and RPG Reviews Editor

So many books, so little time...

Offline Jen

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jennybarber.co.uk
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2003, 11:53:01 am »
Actually I think RPG coverage would be great.  It's something I'd like to know more on but never get around to doing anything about it.  (I remember years ago I got sent an RPG mag for review and found it fascinating because it covered all sorts of subjects I hadn't neccessarly associated with RPG before.)

I'd also like to see some sort of RPG area at Fcon this year - just to get a looksie at what it's about, y'know?  (Not sure if it's been done at an Fcon before, and what success it had though.)

Offline Wayne Mook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2003, 10:03:32 pm »
Rpg's should have a place in the BFS.

I'm a retired gamer. I do not know any mature gamers in the area.

I would love to read stuff for nostalgia's sake. I used to play Vampire (Some live), Shadowrun (Magic, dragons etc. in an SF world.) and others, as well as running DnD, Call of Cthulhu.  :twisted:

Morgan

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2003, 09:25:34 am »
I went on ebay the other day and bought an old fantasy boardgame 'Battlecars' I remembered playing it when I was a nipper - also trying to track down an affordable version of talisman... ah those were the days...

Offline Wayne Mook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2003, 01:19:40 am »
Did you play any of the other Steve Jackson (the American) Games. Never got round to the Illuminati game (Though I like the idea of the cubs scouts trying to take over the world :D)  but I do have the Dracula game, still.  In fact i may still have F&F books by Livingstone and Steve Jackson (the English one).
Does anyone know where to get emulators of the comp. games?

Offline Debbie

• Thaumaturge
  • x
    • View Profile
    • http://www.debbiebennett.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2003, 10:26:35 pm »
Better late than never (don't get online on this site very often....). For those who are interested, we will have a dealer table doing RPG stuff at Fcon this year (or live role playing anyway).

I've thought of having RPG events there, but to be honest they require lots of space and time and nobody's ever been that interested.  Happy to oblige for 2004 if there's enough interest. I'm also intending to contact Games Workshop this week about promotional material.

Can't do LRP though - insurance wouldn't cover it! I'm about 20 years past dressing up and running around in skimpy costumes anyway. Oh the nostalgia of running round Sefton Park doing freshers week for the LRP club...

Offline CraigLockley

• BFS Reviewers
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Knifesedge PBeM RPGs
New Section for Prism - In Character
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2003, 10:50:43 pm »
Well, the first set of reviews for RPG material have gone to press for the next Prism, along with an introductory article by Jonathon Oliver. Look out for "In Character" in the next issue.
As for RPGs at the Con, it's something I'd be happy to help with but to run a game would take the best part of a day and would detract from the rest of the Con. It's not something you can do in an hour slot! Be good to see something from GW there though, even though they seem to have stepped away from RPG's and more into wargaming.
Craig
BFS Indie Press and RPG Reviews Editor

So many books, so little time...

Offline Debbie

• Thaumaturge
  • x
    • View Profile
    • http://www.debbiebennett.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2003, 01:41:56 pm »
I'm working on Games Workshop!  Spoke to the events manager there this morning - he actually came to Fcon 10 years ago so I'm trying to persuade him to come this year. That and donate some goodies for the bags/raffle!

A decent RPG would take up most of the day. Mind you I haven't done any gaming since the mid 80s and the rest of life has speeded up so maybe gaming has too?!

Nicki Robson

FCon 2004
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2003, 10:23:22 pm »
There's a possibility that I could put on a Role Play "Special Interest Group" on at FCon 2004.  The idea being that a few people "in the know" sit and chat and answer questions from the audience.  Kind of like a panel but mostly just to tell people what it's about - with audience participation...  Will there be enough demand?

Offline Wayne Mook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2003, 10:46:21 pm »
Most gaming is still slow.

I would be interested in a panel. At a push I would even sit on a panel. (Now what have I let my self in for.  :shock: ) I currently play on a PBeM, Play By e-Mail. With chat rooms, e-mail groups etc. it is no longer the domain of war and strategy games. Plus there is the on-line stuff.

Wayne.

Offline Jonathan Oliver

• BFS Reviewers
  • Initiate
    • View Profile
RPG Panel
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2003, 01:08:25 pm »
I'd definatley be up for doing an RPG panel in 2004. Maybe we could get some UK gaming publishers interested as well. Does anybody know if Hogshead games are still alive?
Jon

Stephen Gallagher

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2003, 09:51:25 am »
RPGs have been part of the scene ever since I fell into fandom. I suppose I can best describe gaming as a separate but integrated element of every local meet-in-a-pub fan group I've ever been part of. By "separate" I mean that it was never a topic on meeting nights; by "integrated" I mean that a significant proportion of the people I knew would meet on another night for the sole purpose of gaming.

So my stance on it is, go right ahead, I'll be over at the bar.

Nicki Robson

Re: RPG Panel
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2003, 09:40:25 pm »
Quote from: "Jonathan Oliver"
I'd definatley be up for doing an RPG panel in 2004. Maybe we could get some UK gaming publishers interested as well.

This SIG is looking more and more likely then... have you registered for FCon yet?  :wink:

Offline Jonathan Oliver

• BFS Reviewers
  • Initiate
    • View Profile
Fantasycon 2004
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2003, 10:43:03 am »
Hi There

Is the Fantasycon 2004 hotel anywhere near a railway station or easily reachable through public transport? Otherwise it's going to be difficult for me to get there

All The Best

Jon
Jon

Nicki Robson

FantasyCon hotel
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2003, 10:38:20 pm »
I believe their information says that it's about 3 miles from the station.