Author Topic: ...and on stage  (Read 6503 times)

Offline Roy

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
...and on stage
« on: January 07, 2010, 12:23:27 pm »
Manchesterís Royal Exchange Theatre staging an SF (and horror?) classic.
24 February 10 - 27 March 10
Nineteen Eighty-Four
George Orwell's classic novel adapted and directed by Matthew Dunster and designed By Paul Wills

WORLD PREMIERE of Matthew Dunster's sensual and sensitive adaption

War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

Winston Smith rewrites history for the Ministry of Truth, but when he's handed a note that says simply 'I love you' by a woman he hardly knows, he decides to risk everything in a search for the real truth. In a world where cheap entertainment keeps the proles ignorant but content, where a war without end is always fought and the government is always watching, can Winston possibly hold onto what he feels inside? Or will he renounce everything, accept the Party's reality and learn to love Big Brother?

Offline CarolineC

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
Re: ...and on stage
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 12:47:29 pm »
This sounds good. I always think there isn't enough of our genre on stage, and I love live stage plays. OK we've got entertaining musicals like Little Shop of Horrors and Return to the Forbidden Planet, but I think the only really good genre thing I've seen on stage was The Woman in Black. I'd love to see more of this kind of thing live.
Please 'like' Frightful Horrors on Facebook
www.facebook.com/frightfulhorrorsuk

Offline Roy

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 10:40:34 pm »
My wife does voluntary work at the REx so I'm there quite often. I keep telling the directors that they should do more SF but they aren't really interested. My wife says I overdo the proselytising. They did a version of Dracula a while ago and a Welsh ghost story in the studio but that's about it.
I doubt they consider 1984 as SF.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 10:53:12 pm by Roy »

Offline gileadslostson

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Disordered Observations
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 12:02:08 am »
It's funny, the things people don't think of as SF  ???

Offline CarolineC

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 01:16:41 pm »
Yes, I have seen a version of Dracula on stage, but it was an amateur production - not in the sense of being performed by amateurs as they're often the best, but in the sense of OTT acting and laughable special effects. It wasn't actually meant to be a comedy, but the audience were in fits of laughter by the end!  :D

I also saw a version of Frankenstein which was OK but not brilliant.

I think one of the best genre things I've seen on stage apart from The Woman in Black was a version of Gormenghast, believe it or not. Can you imagine that? I mean, they had enough trouble bringing a version to TV, but on stage ..?! It was quite magnificent! The same troupe also did The Ancient Mariner, which was good too.

But I'd still like to see more on stage. Apart from stage versions of things like the above, is there anyone actually writing original genre stage plays nowadays? We've got lots of contemporary drama, comedies and thrillers - and musicals coming out of our ears - but how about some new SF/horror. I reckon the stage was made for spooky stuff myself.  8)

Offline Roy

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 02:13:10 pm »
Dracula was very popular on stage I believe though we don't see it done now so often. I saw it in Manchester as an outdoor production but no one wanted my review.

I saw Time many years ago, but my wife likes Cliff Richard, and Lord of the Rings on stage in London. That was well done and Gollum was brilliant. I've also seen some Pratchetts, which seem to work on stage but not on TV. Never saw His Dark Materials though. It was not on for long enough to organise the travel/reservations involved.

Not much SF though Forbidden Planet the Musical came close but its follow up Hot Shoe Shuffle (?) is back to comedy horror. 

You still have the Queen musical WE WILL ROCK YOU but Ben Elton,s script/book is less than great.

Offline Natt

• BFS Reviewers
  • Warrior
    • View Profile
    • In The Gloaming Podcasts
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 05:00:55 pm »
If everything goes to plan we will be performing a stage adaptation of one of the In The Gloaming podcasts on either the Friday or Saturday evening at the World Horror Convention in March. It will probably be staged like the Round The Horne... Revisited  of a few years ago, as if we were doing a radio performance, but I've been thinking of putting together a proper horror-comedy stage play.

Offline CarolineC

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 08:38:43 pm »
Oooo - sounds interesting, Natt. I'm booked for WHC so I'll watch out for that on the programme.  :)

Offline Natt

• BFS Reviewers
  • Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 10:06:51 pm »
We're still working out the details, but I'll let everyone know when it's finalised. Otherwise, I'll be at WHC anyway, if anyone who wants a drink and a chat about such things then...

Offline Roy

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 09:54:24 pm »
Sounds interesting and I'll be at WHC 2010 all being well.

Plus, as Pete wrote on the TTA Forum, Terry Pratchet's Nation was adapted for the stage and is playing at the National Theatre.

For those not wanting a trip to the NT, the matinee for Saturday the 30th of January is being broadcast live to selected cinemas:-

http://www.picturehouses.co.uk/ntlive/nation

Offline Natt

• BFS Reviewers
  • Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 09:40:33 am »
It's been confirmed, we'll be performing two different comedy-horror plays at the World Horror Convention; one on the Friday evening, and one on the Saturday evening.

I'm really looking forward to it...

Offline Roy

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2010, 11:44:06 pm »
Your chance to be on stage in 1984 in 2010

24 February 10 - 27 March 10
Nineteen Eighty-Four George Orwell's classic novel staged at Manchesters Royal Exchange Theatre.

Offline Roy

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2010, 03:13:21 pm »
Shouldn't there be more sci-fi on stage?

Contemporary playwrights tend to give science fiction a wide berth. Are they afraid of looking silly?

The 1984 cast is listed now but I can't copy it here. Winston is played by Jonathan McGuinness who has an interview streamed on the site.

Offline Roy

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2010, 12:11:30 am »
My review of Orwell's 1984 as staged at The Royal Exchange Theatre in Manchester (on for another week) is now on the Enemy's Matrix website. (Just kidding folks)