Author Topic: Twisthorn Bellow: He’s dynamite — and he has a short fuse!  (Read 5325 times)

Offline iamacanadian

• Canadian, but not un-cultured!
  • Thaumaturge
  • Selecting Only the Finest Experts’ Made-Up Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Atomic Fez Publishing
Twisthorn Bellow by Rhys Hughes; his new novel
and heart‑felt homage to the late Philip José Farmer

Rhys Hughes once again foists his mad tale-spinning ability upon the world with this brand‑new novel of monsters attacking all that is bad (musicians, Frenchmen… you know, those sort of people), including both Hellboy and Philip José Farmer in the story while he’s at it. When this author describes something as “this is the maddest thing I’ve ever written”, you know you’re in for something ‘special’. With this exciting cover by the talented Steve Upham you only get a slight taste of the adventures which await you within!

These are at the printers now, and will be on-sale at World HorrorCon in Brighton. Or, head to the “STORE” on the site and pre-purchase using VISA, MC or PAYPAL you can ensure a copy is sent to you in Britain as soon as I have a moment during the week after WHC, or arrive mid-April if you're in North America.

It may come as no surprise that France wants to take over the world again. But this time they plan to go much further and gain control of the spiritual dimensions too, making French the official language of the afterlife!

Twisthorn Bellow is a freshly baked golem who has fallen into a vat of nitroglycerin, turning him into a living stick of dynamite. As well as battling against monsters and rock musicians, he’s the only thing that can preserve and protect the glorious British Empire and prevent the French‑ification of the entire cosmos. But considering the French have all the best ideas and tunes, he doesn’t stand a soufflé in Hell’s chance!

How to Kill Fiends & Intimidate People:

1. Set yourself a golem;
   2. Give that golem a piece of your mind;
   3. Unleash him on an unsuspecting world…

It comes in one ‘Trade’ edition as follows:

* ISBN: 978−0−9811597−1−3
    * $24.99 (CAN/USA) – £14.99 (UK)
    * bound in a paperback biding

Advance Praise for Twisthorn Bellow:

Rhys Hughes is so completely his own creature that words fail when it comes to describing his work; ‘Rhys Hughesian?’ I don’t think that’s gonna fly. How about just ODD? But odd in the best possible way: the kind of odd that is, at times, goofy (I like the word ‘imbecilic’) and yet you are always keenly aware that he is a super genius, that he is toying with his reader like a madman (a genius madman having way too much fun) poking and prodding a little tiny octopus with a spoon. In a good way.

–Mike Mignola; creator of Hellboy

Hughes (Engelbrecht Again!) spins an absurdist tale of a supernatural defence agency protecting British interests at home and abroad from monstrous threats, the most monstrous being (of course) the French. … Eventually, as narrated by the Eiffel Tower, they confront the chief villain in his subterranean lair beneath Strasbourg. Wordplay, fractured classical mythology, pop culture and homages to fellow authors, above all the late Philip José Farmer … heavy satire …gonzo … tomfoolery.

–Publisher’s Weekly; July 20, 2009

PRAISE FOR MR. HUGHES:
Rhys Hughes seems almost the sum of our planet’s literature… As well as being drunk on language and wild imagery, he is also sober on the essentials of thought. He has something of Mervyn Peake’s glorious invention, something of John Cowper Powys’s contemplative, almost disdainful existentialism, a sensuality, a relish, an addiction to the delicious. He’s as tricky as his own characters… He toys with convention. He makes the metaphysical political, the personal incredible and the comic hints at subtle pain. Few living fictioneers approach this chef’s sardonic confections, certainly not in English.

— Michael Moorcock
Just beginning to read: saliva already forming on chin.

— Brian Aldiss
Ian Alexander Martin; Proprietor, Atomic Fez Publishing

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
Re: Twisthorn Bellow: He’s dynamite — and he has a short fuse!
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 06:48:49 AM »
I've just started reading this - a lot of fun so far.

Offline Screaming Dreams

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Screaming Dreams
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 12:11:58 PM »
This book is the sort of classic surreal fun and adventure that we all come to expect from Mr Hughes! A must for fans of Rhys' work.

Offline iamacanadian

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Atomic Fez Publishing
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 06:09:08 PM »
Thanks, gentlemen. It is classic Hughes's material. Refreshingly, it's not done in a Collector's Edition as well!

Offline rhysaurus

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • The Spoons That Are My Ears
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 11:14:11 AM »
I'm certainly refreshed by that news, Ian!

Last year (while I was writing this book) I 'reconstructed' some of the monsters that appear in it, and took photos of those reconstructions. I see no reason why I shouldn't display some of those pictures here... (but not all at once because these are real monsters [even though they're not] and that would be too scary!)

Here's the first... The robot Crystalbonce...

He might look like a yellow crystal balanced on a dogclip that is balanced on an inverted tealight, but in fact he's a cybernetic mechno-fiend!

Offline rhysaurus

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 11:26:25 AM »
The second monster is the pterodactyl Ptula Graark. After a busy day swooping and croaking, there's nothing Ptula likes more than a nice mug of Ovaltine. When the malted milk beverage is fully absorbed into her cryptozoologic metabolism, she becomes a calmodactyl. That's better!

More monsters from the novel in due course...

Offline rhysaurus

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 10:09:20 AM »
The third monster is the extremely fearsome Enid Hans. He can open bottles of wine if need be!
Let's have a little sing-song. All together now...

Enid Hans – to strangle a righteous golem!
Enid Hans – to trip a mighty god!
Enid Hans – to refuse a refund on goods you sold them!
Enid Hans – to fill them full of fears!
And when you feel nobody wants to know you…
Enid Hans – to make them pay in blood!

Offline iamacanadian

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Atomic Fez Publishing
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 08:41:50 PM »
New reviews!

Hughes has claimed the book is his tribute to Philip José Farmer… but he is a writer who wears his influences lightly and the spirits of other literary worthies gleefully flit in and out of the text… each contributing something to the tasty brew that ultimately is all Hughes’ own.
… There are running jokes… sight jokes… and wordplay… and just about everything else that you’d expect from Hughes… with the reader not given a second in which to catch his or her breath.
… Rhys Hughes is more fun than one of those barrels of monkeys people talk about, and you’re probably going to have a good time with his book.

Peter Tennant; “Case Notes: Books”, Black Static Issue #16

…for the readers who relish ideas over plotting, and for sheer generation of ideas, word play and dazzling creativity, Rhys Hughes is a hard act to match; “Twisthorn Bellow” is Hughes at his most madly inventive.

–Colin Harvey, “Sci-Fi/Fantasy Fiction, Suite 101″ Apr 26, 2010

Offline rhysaurus

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 10:52:56 AM »
Here's a guest blog that I did about how Mike Mignola inspired Twisthorn Bellow...
http://gestaltmash.com/2010/07/mignola-daydream/

Offline Selina

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • The Girly Comic & Blog
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 07:00:35 PM »
Here's a guest blog that I did about how Mike Mignola inspired Twisthorn Bellow...
http://gestaltmash.com/2010/07/mignola-daydream/

Hey Rhys, enjoyed the blog post as we're big Hellboy fans too & really interesting to read how it inspired you.

Offline allybird

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • Allyson Bird website
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 08:56:25 PM »
'a villain with a walnut whip for a head.'

That is the best image I've had in my head all week. And an edible one at that.  :)

Offline rhysaurus

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2010, 10:53:30 AM »
Thanks Selina and Ally!

As for the villain with a walnut whip for a head, his name is République Nutt and here's a real-life photo of what happened when he got his foot stuck in a giant brandy bottle: