Author Topic: Twelve Beautifully Red Tales from James Cooper.  (Read 2828 times)

Offline iamacanadian

• Canadian, but not un-cultured!
  • Thaumaturge
  • Selecting Only the Finest Experts’ Made-Up Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Atomic Fez Publishing
Twelve Beautifully Red Tales from James Cooper.
« on: February 06, 2010, 07:21:31 AM »
Red…
The colour that surrounds us as we enter the world;
the colour that consumes us when we die.

Red…
The colour of life and everything in it.

Red…
The colour we produce when we scream…

The Beautiful Red

12 extraordinary tales of madness and dysfunction,
inhabiting the red world, where only the sound of our violence can be heard…

A brand-new collection of twelve horror tales from James Cooper. His second collection comes complete with a foreword from the Award-Winning Master of Urban Horror Christopher Fowler!

Certain tropes and themes emerge here, repeating and revolving in uncomfortable permutations; human simulacra, corrupted children, acts of creation, the bones beneath the skin, lives warped and poisoned, innocence lost, loneliness and the ever present sensation of impending death. Luckily, James manages to weave these elements into his plots in a way that entertains, otherwise he’d have his readers cutting their throats.
    …[James Cooper] is intent on stepping inside his characters, instead of simply describing them from the outside. He calibrates his effects instead of going for shocks. He’s clearly fascinated by the mournful realities (and dream-states) of life and death. It’s been quite a while since I’ve encountered stories like this, tales that ignore topical tastes in favour of a strange view of humanity that’s timeless, classical, and mysteriously sad.
    –Christopher Fowler (from his foreword)

These are at the printers now, and will be on-sale at World HorrorCon in Brighton. Or, head to the “STORE” on the site and pre-purchase using VISA, MC or PAYPAL, and you can ensure a copy is sent to you in Britain as soon as I have a moment during the week after WHC, or if you're in North America: mid-April once I'm home again in Vancouver.

It comes in one ‘Trade’ edition as follows:
  • bound in a paperback biding
  • $24.99 (CAN/USA) – £14.99 (UK)
  • ISBN:  978−0−9811597−0−6
Ian Alexander Martin; Proprietor, Atomic Fez Publishing

Offline Gary Mc

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Twelve Beautifully Red Tales from James Cooper.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 11:39:42 AM »
This is one of the 2 or 3 books I'm allowing myself at World Horror. Can't wait.

Offline RossWarren

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 07:13:44 PM »
An exceptional production with unsettleing artwork, arrived just in time to take on holiday. Been dipping into it piecemeal so that it lasts longer. Coupled with 'The Harm' which I also bought with me I feel like Cooper and McMahon are duking it out to be the best, and most relevant UK genre writer at this moment in time!

Offline iamacanadian

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Atomic Fez Publishing
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 05:41:28 PM »
Thanks for the support, both of you fine gentlemen.

Offline iamacanadian

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Atomic Fez Publishing
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 08:46:45 PM »
New reviews!

‘There’s Something Wrong With Pappy’… chronicles the dissolution of a family after the death of the mother, with sympathetic magic… and all sorts of micro/macro shifts of perspective… but also eerie and strangely compelling… Even better is ‘Eight Small Men’… with events past and present informing each other, and excellent characterisation throughout… a moving and powerful story, and testament to what Cooper can accomplish when he stretches himself.
    … As so often with Cooper [in ‘My Secret Children’] there’s the suggestion of something else going on in the background… it’s the ideal note on which to end this collection by one of the most promising writers to emerge from the small press pack in recent years.

Peter Tennant; “Case Notes: Books”, Black Static Issue #16

The Beautiful Red is James Cooper’s second collection of short stories. It’s twelve stories long, and four of those stories are better than just about anything else you’ve ever read.
The Beautiful Red is packed with fantastic writing and powerful emotion. My skin is still crawling just thinking about it.

Little Miss Zomcon; “Dark Reviews”, Horror-Web.com April 6th, 2010