Author Topic: Very New  (Read 4782 times)

Leemanchee

Very New
« on: February 16, 2010, 10:23:40 am »
Hi Everyone

I'm new, not just to this site, but to writing altogether. I started about eight months ago and haven't looked back.

I have written several short stories and have ideas for more than I have time for. I'd say I have no fixed style yet. Still musing with the written word, letting them do the talking shall we say.

I'm not very well educated as far as a literate sense goes. I spent most my time in English lesson staring out through the condensated windows, imaging ninjas fighting the undead, and the likes.

Also I'm a Graphic Designer by trade, and anyone in that field will know that a trait of ours is bad spelling. I also have poor grammar, which I'm working on. We're good at making things look pretty though.

I suppose Fantasy and Sci-Fi are my favorite genres, but I like them dark usually and I'm a sucker for twists.

The biggest thing I think I have going for me is probably my imagination and I'd like to think originality plays a big part in the things I've written so far.

My aim is to read more, and write more. I also entered my first two competitions last month, and now have a nervous wait until April to find out. I intend on entering the BFS comp, I have a few stories that should be suitable with a tweak or two.

Why am I here? Well I'm not really sure. Advice when I need it, learning from others and maybe even help and advise others too.

I have been on other sites but most seem to be very American, and I find it difficult to get certain concepts to translate. For example one story I wrote was reviewed by over 50 people. It got a great response which is why I've decided to take the writing more serious, but even though I'd stated the age of the main character, the American audience had somehow concluded he was fifteen, instead of eleven as stated in the story. They criticised that a fifteen year wouldn't act the way my character did, which was obviously poor reviewing, but frustrating. Apart from that the story went down very well, especially with the Brits.

So hopefully I can get a better idea of things from people who understand me better, well that's the idea.

Look forward to hearing from anyone, thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings.

Offline che2000

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Very New
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 12:49:00 pm »
Hi There,

Welcome to the neighbourhood

Offline Colin (Black Abyss)

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • The Black Abyss
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 06:52:29 pm »
Welcome Lee, hope you enjoy your stay.

Offline Jim Steel

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Panglossian Hubris
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 10:01:34 pm »
I hope the BFS can help you with your writing - it's certainly helped me with mine.

Offline iamacanadian

• Canadian, but not un-cultured!
  • Thaumaturge
  • Selecting Only the Finest Experts’ Made-Up Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Atomic Fez Publishing
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 05:25:23 am »
Welcome!

Please keep all chocolate out of the hands of Ally. She becomes quite silly if you don't.
Ian Alexander Martin; Proprietor, Atomic Fez Publishing

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 06:44:53 am »
Welcome to the forum, Lee!

If you end up actually joining the Society, we have a writing circle, Whirlpool, which is just getting going. It has its own private section of the forum, and the members are just getting ready to start exchanging monthly writing.

Leemanchee

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 08:33:30 am »
Welcome to the forum, Lee!

If you end up actually joining the Society, we have a writing circle, Whirlpool, which is just getting going. It has its own private section of the forum, and the members are just getting ready to start exchanging monthly writing.

Excellent!

Do you need to be a member to take part?

Leemanchee

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 08:34:34 am »
Welcome!

Please keep all chocolate out of the hands of Ally. She becomes quite silly if you don't.

No risk of that. I'm not a chocolate fan.lol

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 08:58:16 am »
I'm afraid so... But of course being a member enhances your life in many other ways too - for example (while stocks last) a copy of an exclusive BFS anthology featuring dozens of top writers, the chance to vote in the British Fantasy Awards, and most important of all, our magnificent journal, Dark Horizons, a sturdy new issue of which is imminent.

Offline allybird

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • Allyson Bird website
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 10:16:35 am »
Welcome Lee!

It's Ian who really has this thing for chocolate. Obsessed he is :>)

Offline Mike Chinn

• Thaumaturge
  • Cavy Slave
    • View Profile
    • Displacement Activity
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 03:11:02 pm »
most important of all, our magnificent journal, Dark Horizons, a sturdy new issue of which is imminent.

Not that he's at all biased  ;D

Welcome.
Mike Chinn

Offline iamacanadian

• Canadian, but not un-cultured!
  • Thaumaturge
  • Selecting Only the Finest Experts’ Made-Up Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Atomic Fez Publishing
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 06:18:46 pm »

most important of all, our magnificent journal, Dark Horizons, a sturdy new issue of which is imminent.

Not that he's at all biased  ;D

Of course not!

Notice that he didn't mention either New Horizons or Prism, however, also periodicals which you receive as part of one's membership...

Welcome Lee!

It's Ian who really has this thing for chocolate. Obsessed he is :>)

Rubbish! I'm not obsessed! …it's just that I really appreciate it, you see. Not the same at all.
Ian Alexander Martin; Proprietor, Atomic Fez Publishing

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2010, 06:27:50 pm »
Dark Horizons is brilliant. I read every issue from cover to cover.  ;)