Author Topic: Cold to the Touch by Simon Strantzas  (Read 2604 times)

Offline tartarusrussell

• Ray Russell - Tartarus Press
  • Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Tartarus Press
Cold to the Touch by Simon Strantzas
« on: February 16, 2010, 10:13:05 PM »
Simon's Cold to the Touch (http://www.tartaruspress.com/coldtothetouch.htm) has just received a great review at Publisher's Weekly:

"Readers who prefer subtlety to shocks and suggestion over explicitness in horror fiction will find much to enjoy" 

The collection is managing to garner a pretty impressive array of reviews  :)

_______

"...Strantzas succeeds in imbuing his strange tales with the sense of intellectual fear...", Dead Reckonings 6

"Dark but with frequent glimpses of light and beauty creating a dazzling mix of heady highs and tragic lows. . . . A work of great quality." - Tales from the Black Abyss

"An impressive collection of stories that subtly unsettles." - Flux magazine.

"This exceptional collection is highly recommended." - Grim Rictus Reviews 

"Overall, the thirteen stories in this collection offer the reader strange rewards. There are no easy explanations, which is realism of a sort. There are no simple payoffs or cheap twists. There are shadows everywhere, and few signposts that can be trusted. But there are moments of humour and humanity amid the darkness and decay. " - David Longhorn, Supernatural Tales 16

"Mr. Strantzas is an amazing writer . . . Cold to the Touch is easily one of the best books I have read this year. Rating: 10/10" - The Speculative Fiction Junkie

"Cold to the Touch is a formidable gift to the field of weird literature." - The Grim Blogger, Grim Reviews

"One thing is certain, Mr. Strantzas ripped out a bit of his soul and threw it onto the page with a violent beauty. Such stories could come from no other place. This collection is evocative, endearing, strange and horrifying all at once. . . All of the stories in this collection are delightfully dark and wonderfully weird. - Sarah L. Gerhardt, She Never Slept

"Say hello to a new and important voice in the canon of weird fiction." - Michael Kelly, FearZone.

"An excellent writer who likes to deal with the weirdest and more mysterious aspects of human condition, who likes to disturb and upset and manages to do that very effectively by emphasizing the dark shades lurking behind the light of everyday reality." Mario Guslandi at The Short Review.

Offline iamacanadian

• Canadian, but not un-cultured!
  • Thaumaturge
  • Selecting Only the Finest Experts’ Made-Up Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Atomic Fez Publishing
Re: Cold to the Touch by Simon Strantzas
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 10:32:40 PM »
This is excellent stuff to hear. Publishers Weekly is a wonderful way to shove quality material into the noses of book buyers.

Will there be any copies of any of the Tartarus titles — especially this one — at World HorrorCon in Brighton?
Ian Alexander Martin; Proprietor, Atomic Fez Publishing

Offline tartarusrussell

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Tartarus Press
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 09:13:35 AM »
Hi Ian.

Yes, we'll have a table in the dealers room and I'm aiming to bring along all the books that are currently in print, with a few extra of more recent titles like Simon's.

As with everybody else attending, I'll also have a couple of new books which I intend to announce in the next couple of weeks.

I see you have a table as well. It'll be good to meet up and have a chat.

All the best

Ray

Offline Colin (Black Abyss)

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • The Black Abyss
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 05:03:02 PM »
I like it too http://talesfromtheblackabyss.com/2010/01/24/cold-to-the-touch-by-simon-strantzas/ and lets be honest who's more important TFTBA or Publishers Weekly...oh right, so they are, I'll get my coat ;)

Offline tartarusrussell

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Tartarus Press
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 05:42:51 PM »
I like it too http://talesfromtheblackabyss.com/2010/01/24/cold-to-the-touch-by-simon-strantzas/ and lets be honest who's more important TFTBA or Publishers Weekly...oh right, so they are, I'll get my coat ;)

In practical terms, Tales from the Black Abyss is probably more important. A higher proportion of your readers may actually buy a copy of the book! Any review from the Times Literary Supplement (for instance) would always be quoted first by a publisher, but I promise that a well-respected web-site in the genre with a fraction of the readers has more power to sell books!

Offline Colin (Black Abyss)

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • The Black Abyss
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 06:00:08 PM »
Power..I have power..mwah-ha-ha-ha - now you will all suffer at my hands weaklings....Ahem.

Interesting thoughts Ray and if I can point at least one person to work of the quality of Mr Strantzsas then all that note taking and web tinkering will have been worth it  :)