Author Topic: Nemonymous (Megazanthus Press)  (Read 38136 times)

Offline Degsy

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Nemonymous (Megazanthus Press)
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2010, 01:12:36 am »
Out of curiosity I've done bit of extra googling and apparently the Stokesay memorial is not just to the fallen, uniquely (to the best of my knowledge) on the other side is a list of those locals who returned alive from the Great War, giving thanks that they survived the carnage. How weird to walk past every day and see your name amongst the dead...

I found this quite moving.

Here's what Alan Bennett had to say about the Stokesay memorial (LRB Jan 2005).

"...we wander round the graveyard and come upon the war memorial. It’s of a soldier, solid and even squat, looking as much French as English and though it’s strictly representational with something of Vorticism about it, like a three-dimensional version of the figures that populate the paintings of William Roberts. There’s a reluctance about the soldier, too, the heaviness of the figure more to do with resignation than any eager embracing of the military calling. One of my fellow conscripts in the army used to maintain that the pose of soldiers on war memorials only made sense if you thought of them as just having been caught skiving. And certainly this soldier hardly looks keen and definitely not noble."

I beg to disagree.

Great find DFL!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 04:20:52 pm by Degsy »

DFL

« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2010, 08:40:41 am »
Great find DFL!

Thanks. And thanks to you for extra research. I did not know one of my favourite writers (Alan Bennett) had written about the Stokesay memorial (Craven Arms, Shropshire).

I recall laying down in the sun with the old camera (well it was new then) and looking up at the silhouette and catching what I thoiught was an effective photo of a strange statue.  I'm not sure now if I knew what it represented, as, knowing me, I always rush through sight-seeing on holiday!

And well done, Natt, for officially finding it first.

And thanks to both of you for fully entering into the spirit of the competition. You both win the eight books and the forthcoming 'Null Immortalis' for which I'm still receiving submissions. Expect your prize in the next few days.  Tell me if you've changed your addresses since last week!
des

DFL

« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2010, 08:46:55 am »
How odd to have found them while writing this. I feel like I'm doing a real-time review.

Absolutely priceless! :)

DFL

« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2010, 09:04:35 am »
The next question. From which motorway was this traffic cone stolen  (on 'Cone Zero' cover)  :)

DFL

« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2010, 09:13:22 am »
The next serious question to win Nemonymous 4 & 5 (Natt and Degsy excluded). Which story in Nemonymous Three is depicted by its cover:

DFL

« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2010, 02:38:00 pm »

Here is a bigger picture of that cover:

Artwork: Janell Golden

DFL

« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2010, 09:10:00 pm »
The next serious question to win Nemonymous 4 & 5 (Natt and Degsy excluded). Which story in Nemonymous Three is depicted by its cover:

I've had a blog written about Nemo 3 for at least a day or so now - giving the answer!!  :)

Competition still open. First here with the answer!

Offline Jay Eales

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Factor  Fiction
« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2010, 06:48:46 am »

I've had a blog written about Nemo 3 for at least a day or so now - giving the answer!!  :)

Competition still open. First here with the answer!

Lucia by Paul Evanby, innit! : )

And a gorgeous cover it is, too. I don't think I knew that you published Lavie Tidhar's first story either, so you learn something new every day with these competitions, Des!

Jay
http://www.factorfictionpress.co.uk

DFL

« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2010, 08:32:41 am »
Thanks, Jay. You'll be receiving Nemonymous 3, 4 & 5 in the post. :)

The last competition for a while:

Nemonymous One & Two (increasingly rare) as a prize to the first person (other than Degsy and Natt who have won these already) who places on this board below all the literary quotes that have appeared in Nemonymous Editions.
It is possible to do this without owning any of them.

DFL

« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2010, 11:11:04 am »
The last competition for a while:

I have changed my mind. This below is the last competition for a while

In recent weeks I have asked for 'Weirdmonger' by DFL (Prime 2003) to be placed in what I consider to be its natural status of 'out of print' after seven years. 

I retain only 4 new copies of the paperback and 2 of the hardback.

I am offering a copy of the ‘Weirdmonger’ paperback (a beautiful book to look at and handle, personally signed if required) for the winner of another Nemonymous competition, running in parallel with the one above.
Please write on this board 70-100 words critiquing the Nemonymous phenomenon as a whole – e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nemonymous

Once there are five separate entrants here, I will judge the most thought-provoking and/or best written critique  of the five - and he or she will win the book.  The critique does not necessarily need to be complimentary.   My decision is final.

====================================================

My own real-time review of ‘Weirdmonger’: http://weirdmonger.blog-city.com/realtime_review_of_weirdmonger_by_df_lewis_by_df_lewis.htm

No sooner is Weirdmonger out of print than I discover a quote from it in a Lexicon along with Keats, MP Shiel, James Joyce, Shakespeare and Clark Ashton Smith:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/reader/0982429649/qid=1267479540/ref=sib_books_pg?ie=UTF8&keywords=weirdmonger&p=S0FK&checkSum=s9CN0iyjvqpIcRWYTP6e6SuxaemAmhBhp3CO7Rbke70%253D#reader-page

DFL

« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2010, 03:23:58 pm »
PS: You do not necessarily need to have directly experienced any of the Nemonymous Editions to write your short 'critique'. You can base it, if you like, on what you know about Nemonymous by reputation and expressed intentions in many places on the internet including the authors it has published etc. etc.

DFL

« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2010, 05:09:06 pm »

Offline Wroclaw

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2010, 08:19:24 am »
DF Lewis’s Nemonymous anthologies have been a phenomenon running almost diametrically opposite to every major current in our diseased zeitgeist. In a society crazed to the point of hysteria at the slightest prospect of fame, for him to have made people queue up and long for: anonymity, has been a unique and perverse achievement. One is reminded of the Australian Aboriginal’s ultimate and most noble goal: to leave the earth entirely without mark or record of one’s passing. DF Lewis is a messiah of negation, offering each of us a seductive portal to non-entity. Something in each of us urgently longs to be erased by this man. :)

DFL

« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2010, 11:21:21 am »

Bump TWO competetions below. We have one entrant so far for former on this board above and none yet for latter. All necessary info is on the internet.

In recent weeks I have asked for 'Weirdmonger' by DFL (Prime 2003) to be placed in what I consider to be its natural status of 'out of print' after seven years. 

I retain only 4 new copies of the paperback and 2 of the hardback.

I am offering a copy of the ‘Weirdmonger’ paperback (a beautiful book to look at and handle, personally signed if required) for the winner of another Nemonymous competition, running in parallel with the one above.
Please write on this board 70-100 words critiquing the Nemonymous phenomenon as a whole – e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nemonymous

Once there are five separate entrants here, I will judge the most thought-provoking and/or best written critique  of the five - and he or she will win the book.  The critique does not necessarily need to be complimentary.   My decision is final.

====================================================

My own real-time review of ‘Weirdmonger’: http://weirdmonger.blog-city.com/realtime_review_of_weirdmonger_by_df_lewis_by_df_lewis.htm

No sooner is Weirdmonger out of print than I discover a quote from it in a Lexicon along with Keats, MP Shiel, James Joyce, Shakespeare and Clark Ashton Smith:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/reader/0982429649/qid=1267479540/ref=sib_books_pg?ie=UTF8&keywords=weirdmonger&p=S0FK&checkSum=s9CN0iyjvqpIcRWYTP6e6SuxaemAmhBhp3CO7Rbke70%253D#reader-page

Nemonymous One & Two (increasingly rare) as a prize to the first person (other than Degsy and Natt who have won these already) who places on this board below all the literary quotes that have appeared in Nemonymous Editions.

Offline Jay Eales

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Factor  Fiction
« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2010, 07:32:19 pm »

Bump TWO competetions below. We have one entrant so far for former on this board above and none yet for latter. All necessary info is on the internet.

I've had a good scour, and found these, but if there are others past NEMO 5, it may take a better man than I to find 'em!  :)

Jay

NEMO ONE
“The oblivion which is my only refuge from the unnamed and the unnameable.” – HP Lovecraft, ‘The Hound’.
“Names should be charms – I used to hope that, by saying some of them often enough, I might evoke reality.” – Patrick White, ‘Voss’.
“Writing will cease to be eventually. The future should found bureaus, where everyone at a certain age submits, anonymously, a truthful biography, it could become material for a real science of man, if such a thing should prove necessary.” – August Strindberg (specially chosen & translated for Nemo by Henrik Johnsson (where are you now, Henrik?)).
“He always has an alibi, and one or two to spare / At whatever time the deed took place – Macavity wasn’t there!” – TS Eliot.
“Whoever I am, I don’t know, I’ll never know, in the silence you don’t know…” – Samuel Beckett.
“In an instant I seemed to rise from the ground. But I had no bodily, no visible, audible or palpable presence.” – Edgar Allan Poe (Tale Of The Ragged Mountains).
“Nothing, like something, happens anywhere.” – Philip Larkin.
“'It’s giving girls names like that,' said Buggins, ‘that 9 times out of 10 makes ‘em go wrong. It unsettles ‘em. If ever I was to have a girl, if I ever was to have a dozen girls, I’d call ‘em all Jane.” – HG Wells (Kipps)
“I would venture to guess that Anon, who wrote so many poems without signing them, was often a woman.” – Virginia Woolf (A Room Of One’s Own).
“Nobody ever tells me anything.” – John Galsworthy (The Forsyte Saga).
“Anyone who isn’t confused here doesn’t really understand what’s going on.” – Anonymous.
NEMO TWO
“…then on the shore Of the wide world I stand alone, and think Till love and fame to nothingness do sink.” John Keats.
“I’ll be your mirror.” – Lou Reed.
“We burn daylight.” – William Shakespeare.
“The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.” – HP Lovecraft.
“One can live in the shadow of an idea without grasping it.” – Elizabeth Bowen.
“…clothes possess an influence more powerful over many than the worth of character…” – Louisa M Alcott.
“So, to that question: ‘Who has ever fathomed the depths of the abyss?’ two men, among all men, have the right to reply: Captain Nemo and I.” – Jules Verne.
NEMO FOUR
"The nemo is an evolutionary force, as necessary as the ego. The ego is certainty, what I am; the nemo is potentiality, what I am not. But instead of utilizing the nemo as we would utilize any other force, we allow ourselves to be terrified by it, as primitive man was terrified by lightning. We run screaming from this mysterious shape in the middle of our town, even though the real terror is not in itself, but in our terror at it." -- John Fowles 1964 (from 'The Necessity of Nemo' in 'The Aristos')
"Glass Onion." – The Beatles.
NEMO FIVE
“'Secret Way!' said Anne, her eyes shining. ‘Oh, I hope it’s that! Secret Way! How exciting. What sort of secret way would it be, Julian?’ ‘How do I know, Anne, silly?’ said Julian. ‘I don’t even know that the words are meant to mean “Secret Way.” It’s really a guess on my part.’” -- Enid Blyton (Five Go Adventuring Again).
“There was a pleasant anonymity sitting down at a corner table alone in the little restaurant, ordering vitello alla Marsala and half a bottle of Merlot. He took his time, enjoying his food but eating in a kind of haze, a sense of unreality still with him, while the conversation of his nearest neighbours had the same soothing effect as background music.” -- Daphne du Maurier (Don’t Look Now), a quote chosen for Nemo by Margaret B Simon.
“Memo Nemo Omen” – the author of 4’33”
[/quote]