Author Topic: Allyson Bird  (Read 35550 times)

Offline Peter Roberts

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Dangerous Tales
Re: Allyson Bird
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2010, 06:03:42 PM »
Hi Ally,

I finally made it here. So many great writers to browse through - a fab forum, well done!  :)

See you Thursday? I'm having a go at Pitch Black - nothing to lose except a shard or two of confidence, and easily repairable at the bar!

Offline allybird

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • Allyson Bird website
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2010, 04:12:07 AM »
Thanks Peter. I'd thought about asking the committee quite a long time ago if I could help set it up so we all would have a place where we would be welcome to spread news and talk about projects etc. A hub for us all.

You'll be fine at Pitch Black and I'll see you in the bar. My train gets in before noon which means more time at WHC! :)

« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 03:11:05 PM by allybird »

Offline allybird

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • Allyson Bird website
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2010, 04:29:11 AM »
Here's a relevant article, in the Guardian, linked to my story THE BLACK SWAN OF ODESSA from Ex - Occidente.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2010/mar/20/will-self-white-guard-bulgakov

http://exoccidente.com/morphine.html

THE MASTER IN CAFÉ MORPHINE: A HOMAGE TO MIKHAIL BULGAKOV
Edited by D.T. Ghetu
Cover art: C. C. Askew
Final Publication Date: February 20th MMX
ISBN: 978-929-7694-23-5
Sewn hardcover, limited to 250 copies, 500 pp with end papers and a full-color frontispiece.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 04:31:55 AM by allybird »

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2010, 05:32:33 PM »
Really pleased to be working on this project with Joel Lane.

Never Again is an attempt to voice the collective revulsion of writers in the weird fiction genre against political attitudes that stifle compassion and deny our collective human inheritance. The imagination is crucial to an understanding both of human diversity and of common ground. Weird fiction is often stigmatised as a reactionary and ignorant genre – we know better.

The anthology will be published by Gray Friar Press in September 2010, edited by Allyson Bird and Joel Lane. Cover by Daniele Serra.

It will be a mixture of original stories and reprints from Ramsey Campbell, Lisa Tuttle and Joe R. Lansdale amongst others. Never Again is a non-profit initiative aimed at promoting awareness of these issues among readers and writers of weird fiction. The editors, authors/artist and publisher will receive no fees for this work. Any profits made from sales will be donated to anti-racist or human rights organizations, e.g. The Sophie Lancaster Foundation.’

Looks like a great project. I'd be more than happy to run a free ad in TQF for it.

Offline allybird

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • Allyson Bird website
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2010, 06:01:15 PM »
That would be great, Stephen. Thank you!

Offline allybird

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • Allyson Bird website
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2010, 11:20:07 AM »
Just a reminder that I'm on a panel at WHC with Ellen Datlow, Sarah Pinborough, Tanith Lee, Maura McHugh, and Suzanne MacLeod. 'Femme Fatales...there is no doubt that men outnumber women in horror – both as writers and readers. So what can be done to attract more female authors to the genre and are there specific themes that women want in their horror fiction?'

Saturday at noon. Hope you can join us  :)

Offline Ali_L

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2010, 12:47:55 PM »
A belated response, but - the new book covers look fabulous!   :)

Offline allybird

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • Allyson Bird website
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2010, 10:53:46 AM »
Thanks Ali!

I'm going to drink coffee and giggle about WHC Brighton all day....horror writers on a ghost ride, the steampunk party, the endless free drinks, the wonderful people I met....the hangover I still have. How are you all?  :)

Offline allybird

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • Allyson Bird website
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2010, 07:21:37 PM »
Many high spots but I'll try to mention a few....

Meeting and enjoying Barbie Wilde's company and then looking down and seeing the cenobite photo. Penny dropped.

A big thank you to Charles Rudkin for taking us for cocktails and the curry house on the first night. Sitting next to F Paul Wilson and helping him choose a curry...wonderful man with a great sense of humour.

Finding Lisa Tuttles' Nest of Nightmares in the dealers' room and looking for Lisa to sign it. When I found her, imagine my surprise when she pulled Bull Running for Girls out of her bag and asked me to sign that. Reading what she wrote to me and thinking I will treasure those words forever.

THE party on the pier. What a wild time we all had that night...Simon C and Paul were drinking triple whiskies and beer. Getting back to the hotel and Simon Clark dashing over to us saying he'd found another party, so we started all over again. Dancing until 2a.m. I managed to get Rob Shearman to dance for 30 seconds!

Sitting next to Ellen Datlow on the femme fatales panel the morning after with a killer of a hangover thinking I'll never be asked to another panel again and then being asked to be on the same panel at Alt. Fiction.

Getting hammered with Conrad, Shaun Hamilton, Zed ...at which ever launch party it was and staring at Zed in astonishment when he repeated something he had said earlier to someone. The waiter nearly had to scrape me up off the floor after laughing at that one. Going to Sarah Pin's birthday party and having cake and champagne.

Ashtree Press will be held responsible when my husband realises I took my credit cards to Brighton...

Tried twice to get to John and Kate's performance but failed each time...so apologies for that but I did manage to get John's AGAINST THE DARKNESS when I worked out that I just had enough money left (still trying to read what you wrote John : >).

On the journey home I had one of those strange twilight moments when I though what a shame I didn't meet up with Roberta Lannes (Simon Bestwick had asked me if I had met her) then I glance down and see the WHC book bag and ask the lady next to me if she had a good time and sure enough it was Roberta on her way to Derby to meet relatives (she lives in L.A.).

It was a great convention and will be talked about for years! :)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 12:34:58 PM by allybird »

Offline allybird

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • Allyson Bird website
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2010, 01:33:14 PM »
I've finally finished writing my last story for WINE and RANK POISON published by Dark Regions Press later this year. :)

My editor Norm Rubenstein, also reviewer for HORRORWORLD (many on this board have been reviewed by him) has made the first comments on the new collection.

'You have a wonderful, unique, light touch with your “horror/fantasy” and your stories can be considered as “straight” literary fiction of the highest and most professional kind. Truly, you have already found your own “voice” and your stories are all distinctive and recognizable in the best of ways.'

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2010, 02:44:53 PM »
Tried to have a chat with you at WHC myself, but everytime I saw you we were going in opposite directions. It was that kind of convention, though. Fun but hectic.

David

Offline allybird

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • Allyson Bird website
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2010, 07:35:49 PM »
It was hectic. See you at Fantasycon! I'll be going to Alt.Fiction in Derby in June, too!

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2010, 08:11:33 PM »
It was hectic. See you at Fantasycon! I'll be going to Alt.Fiction in Derby in June, too!

Won't be at Derby but I'll definitely be at Fantasycon.

Offline allybird

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • Allyson Bird website
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2010, 12:19:26 PM »
A big thank you to Peter Tennant, writing in Black Static, for the mentioning of the anthology, NEVER AGAIN, that I'm editing with Joel Lane. In the magazine you can also see the wonderful cover by Dani Serra.  :)

Black Static just gets better and better, with many writers/artists on this board featured in it, and it can be obtained here.......

http://ttapress.com/

« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 12:25:59 PM by allybird »

Offline allybird

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • Allyson Bird website
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2010, 11:52:42 AM »
The introduction by Joe. R. Lansdale to WINE AND RANK POISON is in with the publishers now...I think of an intro as a first review.

A little bit of it here...

'…She reminds me of a few writers, and it’s my guess that it’s coincidence, because the reminding is not due to style. But, she shares a way of thinking with such inventive writers as Philip Jose Farmer and Avram Davidson. Both could take simple ideas and turn them into unique stories that defied classification. They were brave…

It takes a certain knack partly learned, partly inborn, to write these kind of stories, these brave ventures into the dark lands where creeks of blood flow and bodies hang from trees. I’m speaking metaphorically, of course. Not about the content of Allyson’s, or anyone else’s stories. But it’s an attitude that can’t be faked, can’t be borrowed. It can only be stimulated by hard work.

So let me repeat: as a writer, Ms. Bird is her own thing. She has a kind of nuthouse sanity, if you will; she believes in her own writerly psychosis. She is a writer of organized chaos. Her work is Halloween candy with razor blades in it. Fairy Tales with the flesh and blood and bones and viscera in them. Her skill is sneaky and exciting, and everything a reader could want from a good story.

“The Twelfth Chair” and “Atalanta” will show you right off what I mean…

I envy you the reading of this book.

And I am honored to introduce it.

Joe R.Lansdale.'