Author Topic: Rhys Hughes  (Read 33495 times)

Offline rhysaurus

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • The Spoons That Are My Ears
Rhys Hughes
« on: March 09, 2010, 10:59:17 AM »

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhys_Hughes

My Blog: http://rhysaurus.blogspot.com

My list of publications:

Books:
* Worming the Harpy (1995)
* Eyelidiad (1996)
* Rawhead & Bloody Bones (1998)
* The Smell of Telescopes (2000)
* Stories from a Lost Anthology (2002)
* Nowhere Near Milk Wood (2002)
* Journeys Beyond Advice (2002)
* The Percolated Stars (2003)
* A New Universal History of Infamy (2004)
* At the Molehills of Madness (2006)
* A Sereia de Curitiba (2007)
* The Crystal Cosmos (2007)
* The Less Lonely Planet (2008)
* The Postmodern Mariner (2008)
* Engelbrecht Again! (2008)
* Mister Gum (2009)
* Twisthorn Bellow (forthcoming April 2010)
* The Impossible Inferno (forthcoming summer 2010)
* Tallest Stories (forthcoming September 2010)

Chapbooks:
* Romance with Capsicum (1995)
* In Praise of Ridicule (2003)
* The Skeleton of Contention (2004)
* Madonna Park (2009)
* Plutonian Parodies (2009)
* The Fanny Fables (2010)
* To Err is Divine (forthcoming 2010)
* Flash in the Pantheon (forthcoming 2010)

Books in Preparation:
* Lots and lots of them...

« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 11:39:18 AM by rhysaurus »

Offline allybird

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • Allyson Bird website
Re: Rhys Hughes
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 02:46:05 PM »
Ah! TALLEST STORIES on here...

http://www.eibonvalepress.co.uk/

Offline allybird

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • Allyson Bird website
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 05:39:17 PM »
Great blog as usual Rhys and very good that you mentioned the BFS and linked back to here to increase traffic :>) I'll do the same tonight...I'm lagging behind you and some others!

Offline John L Probert

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • John Llewellyn Probert
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 06:14:22 PM »
Hi Rhys

Did I read somewhere that there's going to be a reprint of Worming the Harpy? It's the only volume of yours I don't have.

Cheers

John

Offline rhysaurus

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 10:19:03 AM »
Hi John. I might have some good news on a second edition of Worming the Harpy later this year. Unfortunately I can't say anything until then. Portugal might be connected with this news, or it might not... Harpy was supposed to be reissued by Prime Books five years ago, but after twiddling my thumbs for ages they finally dropped it last year. It's high time this volume was reprinted, in my view!

What have I been up to recently? The year started strongly. I wrote a novel in five weeks. The Abnormalities of Stringent Strange is a humorous homage to the forgotten science-fiction pulp writers of the 1920s, 30s and 40s.

Then I wrote a piece for a forthcoming anthology themed around 'creativity in the wilderness'. Then I wrote a story intended for an anthology with a theme I canít yet reveal!

I've just finished writing a story that's a tribute to the Italian writer Dino Buzzati. I wrote this for an anthology that won't even be soliciting submissions until next year, but I couldn't wait! I'll sit on it until the publisher opens his doors to submissions for that volume. I'm very pleased with it, and in fact I regard it as one of my best stories.

Next I'm going to finish a pirate story that's actually more like a mock interview with the eight pirates who feature in my book The Postmodern Mariner. It's a sequel to that book, or rather a bonus that I'll post on one of my blogs. There's a link to that blog in the book itself, so the whole thing is a sort of a joke (but in a good way, I hope!) And in fact the blog in question can be found here:
http://postmodernmariner.blogspot.com/

Then I'm going to write a short tale for a forthcoming 'Futurist' anthology. After that I'm going to try writing a story aimed at 'young adults' for a Robinsons Books anthology. Mike Ashley is editing this and asked me to contribute and I agreed even though I've never written for that age group.

Then I'm going to write a Philip Jose Farmer tribute for an anthology featuring stories based in one of the worlds or futures he created. The PJF estate is involved with this project.

Then I need to write further instalments of various story cycles that are ongoing -- an 'Albarracin' tale, a 'Chaud Melle' story and a 'Happenstance' story.

Then, fingers crossed, I can finally get back to writing the novel I abandoned two years ago, The Pilgrim's Regress. I can't wait!

Steve Lockley

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 04:29:37 PM »
You are without doubt the most prolific man I know! Long may it continue.

Offline rhysaurus

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 10:49:28 AM »
Thanks Steve! But I'm not nearly as prolific as some writers. In the past 20 years I've averaged between 300 and 400 words per day. That's not much really -- but it has been every single day. It's the tortoise method... Lately I've speeded up a lot, but that's because I'm not doing much other than writing. This situation will probably change very soon and then I'll slow down again...

I've just booked for ODYSSEY 2010 (alias EasterCon):
http://www.odyssey2010.org/

So if anybody around here is going to that, I'll see you there!

I've just heard that Twisthorn Bellow now exists as a book. Yippee!

Gary Fry

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 12:15:07 PM »
Has The Crystal Cosmos sold out in both editions, Rhys? Very few PS authors manage that trick, you know . . .

Offline rhysaurus

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 12:21:31 PM »
Hi Gary. I have no idea. I could ask Pete Crowther, I guess. I'm hoping that one day it'll be reprinted together with all my other SF stories in one volume (probable book title, The Isle of Chrome). Don't know when that'll be, though!

Gary Fry

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 12:28:26 PM »
Check out the PS archive. Both editions are in there, which means they're gone.

Offline rhysaurus

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 12:58:49 PM »
Great! Later this year (via my agent) I'm going to pitch Pete Crowther another SF book called Ditto and Likewise, which is about a 'Counter Earth' on the far side of the sun. I've only written part of it so far, but I'm sure it can progress in the coming months.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 03:28:38 PM »
Twisthorn Bellow was great fun - I should have a review of it ready for the next TQF and Prism. I enjoyed the cameos! Did you try to capture PJF's real character? I don't know much about him beyond the books.

Offline rhysaurus

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2010, 11:08:41 AM »
Thanks Stephen! I look forward to your review!
The scene with PJF (where he disaparages Stanislaw Lem) was partly inspired by the fact that back in the 1970s there was a big spat in the SF writing community, and at one point PJF and Lem were at loggerheads, so to speak. The irony is that they are both two of my favourite writers and those petty squabbles are of no consequence to me at all...
Readers often perceive the writing world as one big happy community and are mostly unaware of the infighting and minor disputes that goes on -- but the fact is that those disputes ultimately mean diddly squat.
The fact that Lem hated all American SF (except for Philip K. Dick) doesn't stop me enjoying Silverberg, PJF, Vance, etc, in the slightest; and the fact that plenty of Western SF writers railed against Lem (Brian Aldiss had some sniffy things to say about him; I love Aldiss too) doesn't stop me regarding Lem as one of the greatest writers who ever lived.
Anyway... that's the unnecessarily long answer to your question. :-)
Regards and thanks again!

Offline rhysaurus

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2010, 10:30:48 AM »
Ally mentioned something about putting a picture of my book The Postmodern Mariner here...
I took this one last year.
Even though the book was published in the summer of 2007, it hasn't had an official launch yet.
I'm hoping there will be one at the end of April, here in Swansea Central Library.
Dressing as a pirate isn't mandatory if you decide to come!
But it's not a bad idea...
The book launch will in fact be a minor literary event involving readings by other writers as well as me, all with a piratical or ghostly theme. The event will be called SHIVER YOUR TIMBERS!
More details when I know more!

On a different note, I've written a short blog post about the writer Ernest Bramah here:
http://postmodernmariner.blogspot.com/
He was a very interesting writer and definitely worth checking out!

Offline Screaming Dreams

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Screaming Dreams
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2010, 09:43:17 PM »
The Postmodern Mariner by Rhys Hughes

Essential reading for fans of Rhys' work. A book of implausible adventures featuring absurdities, anachronisms, exaggerations, outrageous puns, pirates, mythological beings, giant cups of tea and the occasional metafictional trick.

Find out more at : http://www.screamingdreams.com/mariner.html