Author Topic: Rhys Hughes  (Read 34275 times)

Offline rhysaurus

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • The Spoons That Are My Ears
Re: Rhys Hughes
« Reply #150 on: April 30, 2013, 09:46:17 AM »
Today is the very last day you can order a signed limited-edition copy of my new novel STRINGENT STRANGE. After today you will never be able to get one, not at the current price at any rate. This edition is limited to less than 100 copies.

When the limited-edition is sold out, there will be a trade paperback, but that won't be as collectable, obviously...

For information on how to obtain on, please visit the publisher's website here:

http://meteorhousepress.com/stringent/

Hope you enjoy!!

Offline rhysaurus

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 30, 2013, 03:24:20 PM »

The Abnormalities of Stringent Strange has been published at last, three and a half years after I sat down and wrote it. My apologies to all those who pre-ordered it for the delays! This first print run is the signed limited edition and there are only 88 copies, each one given the name of one of the 88 official constellations. The trade paperback will follow. The booklaunch was in London and it turned out to be a very good night indeed.

Offline rhysaurus

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 10, 2013, 02:46:54 PM »
Yesterday I received a parcel from Amazon containing a very remarkable book, namely a comprehensive anthology of OuLiPo writing from the 1960s to the present... Edited by Harry Matthews (one of the only English speaking members of OuLiPo) this anthology is packed full of cerebral delights that for the most part are inspiring and amusing.

One of the reasons I was attracted to the literature of the 'weird' in the first place is because it promised unfettered imagination and genuine originality; subsequently I was disappointed. Most 'weird' fiction is derivative, bland and conceptually timid. OuLiPo successfully achieves what the weird fails to do and for my money it is the most inventive 'movement' to appear in Literature and the work produced by OuLiPo writers is the most original, unexpected and genuinely imaginative that I have ever encountered...

For instance, one of the works included in the Compendium is One Hundred Thousand Billion Poems by Raymond Queneau. The title is no exaggeration. There really are 100,000,000,000,000 poems here, all of them coherent and different, but you have to cut each multi-function line of the ten sonnets into strips to get access to all the permutations... This conceit is an example of the sort of formal brilliance that never seems to occur to genre writers and is why I have a horror of regarding myself as a genre writer.

Offline Des Lewis

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • DF Lewis Website
« Reply #153 on: September 10, 2013, 03:34:42 PM »
... This conceit is an example of the sort of formal brilliance that never seems to occur to genre writers and is why I have a horror of regarding myself as a genre writer.

This is why I have been long wedded to the 'avant garde' as well as to genre fiction.
They can make a great blend. Interesting in the light of what I said about your story 'Story With A Clever Title' here: http://nullimmortalis.wordpress.com/12871-2/#comment-6011

That looks like a great book, Rhys. Thanks.
MY WEBSITE: www.nemonymous.com

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #154 on: September 10, 2013, 04:53:52 PM »
Yes, it's a fun book. I bought it for a friend's birthday last year.

Offline rhysaurus

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 09, 2013, 11:12:06 AM »

My new book is now available for general consumption. The Just Not So Stories features no less than 30 of my most absurdist-flavoured tales, including some of my personal favourites such as 'The Leveller of Neptune', 'How to Lose Friends and Alienate People', 'Message to Rosita', 'My Crow Nation', 'The Blue Jewel Fruit' and 'The Sun Trap'.

This collection is dedicated to Nebula Award winner Michael Bishop because the final story in the book was one he graciously consented to contribute to. 'My Own Worse Anemone' is partly set in the Land of Oz and partly in our world; and Michael is a character who gets to speak dialogue he wrote himself. It's always a joy when an author as renowned as he is shows himself willing to involve himself in such playful experiments!

The Just Not So Stories is published by The Exaggerated Press (a relatively new British small-press) and can be purchased here:

http://www.lulu.com/shop/rhys-hughes/the-just-not-so-stories/paperback/product-21208234.html

...for the sum of 7.99, making it one of my cheapest ever books!

Offline rhysaurus

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 31, 2013, 11:13:07 AM »
My novel The Young Dictator is coming soon!

...in the next few days in fact!

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #157 on: October 31, 2013, 11:50:33 AM »
Just downloaded the sample from Amazon. Looks good.

Offline Des Lewis

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • DF Lewis Website
« Reply #158 on: October 31, 2013, 12:06:50 PM »
I've ordered the paperback, Rhys. A coming highlight of my reading, I anticipate, having read the first chapter in the BFS journal.

Offline rhysaurus

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 31, 2013, 05:40:19 PM »
Thanks folks!
I wasn't actually supposed to announce it just yet.
But thanks for seeking it out anyway! :-)

HAPPY HALLOWEEN by the way!!

Offline rhysaurus

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 01, 2013, 11:13:07 AM »
I am delighted to announce that my twenty-sixth book was published yesterday. The Young Dictator is available from Amazon right now and will be available from many other places in the coming weeks... This novel is my most accessible book to date, so if you are new to my work and want to try something but don't know what to go for, I'll say try this one. It has been described as Roald Dahl meets Spike Milligan and Kurt Vonnegut and that's exactly the effect I was aiming for!

Many years ago I tried to write a children's story but I never completed it. Then back in 2010 the editor Mike Ashley asked me to write a YA (young Adults) story for an anthology he was compiling. I dusted off the story I had started long before and finished it for him. As it happened, his anthology was cancelled so I decided to make my story the first chapter of a novel. The result was The Young Dictator. It's not really a YA novel, though I do think it can be easily read by anyone from the age of 12 onward.

That first chapter was published as a stand-alone story in the Spring issue of the BFS (British Fantasy Society) journal last year and was received well by readers. I sent the finished novel to my agent but he didn't like it very much. He felt that the main character, Jenny, a young girl, was too vicious. But that's the point. The novel is a comedy about dictatorship and nice dictators aren't much fun in fiction, are they? My agent also didn't enjoy the fact that the novel often uses lateral logic rather than the logic of everyday events.

Luckily there was a publisher out there who was willing to embrace absurdity and humorous darkness. Pillar International Publishing was founded in Ireland in the 1930s by Victor Lloyd and named after Nelson's Pillar, a structure that stood in the middle of O'Connell Street in Dublin until it was blown up by the IRA in 1966 (it had already survived an earlier attack in 1955 in which nine students had tried to melt it with flamethrowers). The original press issued many murder mysteries of the Death Carries a Coffin and She Died of Death type...

Victor's grandson, Mark Lloyd, refounded the press last year and by happy chance I learned of its existence thanks to the writer Sara Crowe. I submitted the book and it was accepted, and now it is a physical object and an ebook. I am proud of all my books but this one has increased the width of my grin by an unprecedented magnitude. It can be purchased online from Amazon here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0957459831/ref=cm_sw_r_fa_asp_8SeQG.17KW4Q4

All hail The Young Dictator! All hail her Gran too!

Offline Des Lewis

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • DF Lewis Website
« Reply #161 on: November 01, 2013, 04:31:51 PM »
This book is going to make absurd history.

Offline rhysaurus

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 01, 2013, 06:34:23 PM »
Thanks Des!!  :D

Offline rhysaurus

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 21, 2013, 01:19:55 PM »
How does one promote two books AT THE SAME TIME?

The only answer is to duplicate yourself and promote them both equally... So here we go. I closed my eyes and strained and eventually popped into two individuals this morning! It wasn't easy...

THE JUST NOT SO STORIES on the left; THE YOUNG DICTATOR on the right. (And yes, she is mainly on the right, even if not always in the right)

The Just Not So Stories can be purchased by clicking on this link:
http://www.lulu.com/shop/rhys-hughes/the-just-not-so-stories/paperback/product-21255301.html

The Young Dictator can be purchased by clicking on this link:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Young-Dictator-Rhys-Hughes/dp/0957459831

Thanks!!

Offline rhysaurus

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 04, 2013, 12:29:23 PM »
Bear with me folks! I am going to promote a different book of mine every few days of this month as part of some misguided 'Advent Calendar' promotional campaign. It won't work, of course, but why should that hold me back?

The first book to promote is my very first book ever, WORMING THE HARPY, a collection of 16 stories which was originally published as a limited-edition hardback in 1995 by Tartarus Press. It was published when I was 29 years old, so I effectively began my career at the same age that Christopher Marlowe ended his. The first edition sold painfully slowly but it did make a small mark in the minds of certain luminaries, who championed my work in later years.

At the time, WORMING THE HARPY contained what I regarded as my best stories. They are mainly a bit more gothicky and orthodox than my later tales but I was already moving away from traditional themes to lighter, more complex and more absurdist concerns, so it straddles what I used to be and what I became. In short my influences changed from Poe, Le Fanu, Hoffmann, etc, to Boris Vian, Barthelme and Calvino.

The book remained out of print for seventeen years until the second edition was issued in 2012 as a paperback, and it's the paperback I am promoting today, as the original hardback has become a collector's item that fetches hundreds of dollars.

If you buy it directly from the publisher, he gets more money, I think. But don't feel you have to buy it at all, of course!
http://freepages.pavilion.net/tartarus/wormingtheharpy.htm

Thanks for listening!