Author Topic: Campaign for Real Fear  (Read 7751 times)

Offline Jen

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jennybarber.co.uk
Campaign for Real Fear
« on: March 09, 2010, 11:27:41 am »
Extracted from the latest Chris Fowler blog here... (go check it out for the full details!)

"Horror has some great champions in the UK, but some of them seem to have forgotten that it doesn’t exclusively belong to a small group of white males. Recently, anthologies and magazines have been running state-of-the-art articles on horror and have managed to avoid including any women or minorities, not because they aren’t there (they are, in healthy numbers) but because their selection process has been entirely run by the boys’ club. The story has been picked up by the national press, and questions are being asked.

"That’s what the Campaign For Real Fear is all about.

"It’s not a club; you don’t get a membership badge. It simply shows a level of awareness on your part and allows us to gauge how much work needs to be done. But we hope it will also lead to new writing and a fresh perspective. Britain has led the world in great horror and fantasy in the past, and should be able to adapt to the rising challenges of the future.

"Maura McHugh and I are looking for ten members who can write just 500 terrifying words. That’s the length of the kind of column most journalists can manage in an hour. We want horror that’s relevant to the modern world. The old vampires and werewolves scenarios are just about worn to death – where are the new fears that reflect our world – fear of alienation and losing your identity, fear of simply going unnoticed and unmourned. Anything and everything is fair game."

They're working in partnership with Andy Cox/Black Static so what are you waiting for peeps... go read the blog...
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 11:31:05 am by Jen »

Offline Steppedonwolf

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.archivesofpain.com
Re: Campaign for Real Fear
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 12:50:23 pm »
Well, I got rejected.  :'( It was a great challenge, though, thoroughly enjoyed it  and I'm really looking forward to reading the ten winning entries.

How about anyone else? Did any of you chaps and chapesses manage to get in?
"A room without books is like a body without a soul." - Cicero

http://www.archivesofpain.com

Offline John Forth

• Whirlpool
  • Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 09:25:28 pm »
Well, I got rejected.  :'( It was a great challenge, though, thoroughly enjoyed it  and I'm really looking forward to reading the ten winning entries.

How about anyone else? Did any of you chaps and chapesses manage to get in?

No joy for me either, or for my girlfriend who I think probably submitted the stronger entry. Very curious to see the winners.

I do worry that Maura McHugh is on a hiding to nothing with this though - if the winners are predominantly female, then there will be calls of bias; if there are more men than women in the final ten, then people will suggest she was wrong; and if there's an even split, then it'll look like compromise.

Anyway, that aside, it was a useful and interesting exercise. 500 words isn't much to play with, is it? It'll be good to see what the winners have managed to do with the limited space.

Offline LouM

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Lou Morgan
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 08:31:32 am »
if the winners are predominantly female, then there will be calls of bias; if there are more men than women in the final ten, then people will suggest she was wrong; and if there's an even split, then it'll look like compromise.

Well, I won't be one of them!   :-\

More importantly than addressing the gender issue, it's got a lot of people having a go at putting a (very) short horror story together, and trying to do something new in terms of theme - which surely can only be a good thing in terms of the genre? Chris Fowler said on Twitter that they'd had around 300 entries, I think, which makes me feel a bit better; statistically speaking, anyway...

Offline CarolineC

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 07:59:34 pm »
Er .. am I too late for this? I clicked the link to go to Chris Fowler's blog for info but it said it wasn't there.  ???
Please 'like' Frightful Horrors on Facebook
www.facebook.com/frightfulhorrorsuk

Offline John Forth

• Whirlpool
  • Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 08:00:01 pm »
It might be fun to set up a thread here for people to post their rejected entries, just so we can all have a bit of a read at them. There's probably a lot of interesting stuff that might not have made the final cut.

In fact, I think I'll go and do that just now...

Edited to add link to the other thread: http://www.britishfantasysociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=2541.msg16862#new
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 08:13:46 pm by John Forth »

Offline John Forth

• Whirlpool
  • Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 08:12:45 pm »
Er .. am I too late for this? I clicked the link to go to Chris Fowler's blog for info but it said it wasn't there.  ???

Afraid so, Caroline. They stopped taking entries last Friday.

Offline CarolineC

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 02:54:13 pm »
Whoops! Oh dear. Never mind. I reckon it would have been a foregone conclusion that I wouldn't have got anywhere with it anyway.  :'(

Thanks for letting me know, John.  :)

Offline Roy

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 12:03:31 pm »
Well Caroline C it was here (Other Media thread) March 9, on the Guardian website March 31 on the TTA (publisher of Black Static) forum and on TTA's Facebook page plus other website fora. And it had its own webpage since March 10.

As the TTA publicity man I'm interested to know how we missed you. What sites should I be using to 'catch' you for instance?

I suppose people can still write an entry and post it with the other rejects either here or on the TTA thread if they feel are missing out.

The 20 winning entries will be published in Black Static Magazine, probably June and August's issues; numbers 17 &18. Subscribe now to be sure of your copy.

Offline Selina

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • The Girly Comic & Blog
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 01:17:51 pm »

The 20 winning entries will be published in Black Static Magazine, probably June and August's issues; numbers 17 &18. Subscribe now to be sure of your copy.

I thought there were going to be ten winning entries, did they decide to expand it to 20?

Offline LouM

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Lou Morgan
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 01:42:55 pm »

I thought there were going to be ten winning entries, did they decide to expand it to 20?

Chris Fowler mentioned on his blog that they were hoping to get the top 20 published as they were all so good.

(Which is making me pout & kick the furniture even harder...  :P)

Offline Roy

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 07:15:47 pm »
Ten Is Now Twenty!
We were going to get the Top Ten stories from the Campaign For Real Fear published by Action Audio and placed on Spoken Ink, but Simon Taylor at Action Audio liked our story selection so much that he is prepared to take your Top Twenty tales!

Meanwhile, Black Static has promised to take the Top Ten and we’re hoping they might be persuaded to take the full twenty as well

Black Static's editor Andy Cox was also happy to agree to the change.
I think there were so many entries and such a high standard (plus they are only 500 words max) that the judges asked for the extra freedom to save them a difficult choice.

Thanks for repeating my "Subscribe now to be sure of your copy". Very kind. Hopefully I'll have the issues on sale at Fantasycon but just to be sure why not....

Offline CarolineC

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 12:00:32 am »
Well Caroline C it was here (Other Media thread) March 9, on the Guardian website March 31 on the TTA (publisher of Black Static) forum and on TTA's Facebook page plus other website fora. And it had its own webpage since March 10.

As the TTA publicity man I'm interested to know how we missed you. What sites should I be using to 'catch' you for instance?

I think I'm probably just a bit slow on the uptake, Roy, that's all!  :D  I'm afraid I try to avoid Facebook like the plague for starters. Apart from this forum and the Ramsey Campbell Message Board I don't really look anywhere else on the net nowadays. I think I'm just one of those 'difficult to reach' people!

Offline LouM

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Lou Morgan
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2010, 10:05:42 am »
Winners announced:

http://www.christopherfowler.co.uk/blog/?p=5045

Well, the Campaign For Real Fear is over, and was everything we hoped it would be. The entries were smart, mad, trying, puzzling, disturbing and every stop in between. We doubled the number of winners and added seven Honourable Mentions because we simply couldn’t narrow it down any further. The big surprise in the statistic was – well, we’re letting Black Static magazine print the stats first, but I’ll add them here after publication.

So, the next two issues of Black Static will print all of the winning entries, with comments from Maura McHugh and I on how and why we chose what we did. They’ll go on to be podcast by Action Audio, and hopefully bright futures. So here are the winners.

Top Twenty
(in no specific order)

* ‘Copy Degradation’ by Gemma Files; Canada
* ‘In The Night Supermarket’ by James Burt; UK
* ‘Nice One, Truly’ by Alan Morgan; UK
* ‘On The Beaten Path’ by Janos Honkonken; Finland
* ‘Sanctuary’ by Katherine Hughes; UK
* ‘The Price’ by Jennifer Williams; UK
* ‘The Rude Little Girl’ by Kaaron Warren; Australia
* ‘This Is Mung’ by Christine Emmett; South Africa
* ‘The Flinchfield Dance’ by Mary Elizabeth Burroughs; Australia
* ‘Shades of Blue’ by Catherine MacLeod; Canada
* ‘Infected With Death’ by John Fagan; UK
* ‘The Exchange’ by Eileen Chao; USA
* ‘Under The Microscope’ by Donald Jacob Uitvlugt; USA
* ‘See You Later’ by M. M. De Voe; USA
* ‘Showtime’ by James Carroll; Australia
* ‘Hounded’ by Christina Koh; UK
* ‘Big Brother, Little Sister’ by Sam Fleming; UK
* ‘Cuckoo’ by Lorraine Slater; UK
* ‘Dreadless’ by Anna Rogala; UK
* ‘Give Me More Eyes for Nakedness’ by Paul Synnott; UK

Honourable Mentions

* ‘Victoria Sponge’ by Carole Johnstone; UK
* ‘Live Coverage: Crucifixion’ by Gareth May; UK
* ‘Don’t Ask Me’ by R. B. Russell; UK
* ‘The Wise Ones’ by Neslihan Atcan Altan; Turkey
* ‘Us or Them’ by Adam Napier; UK
* ‘Primogeniture’ by Kirsty Logan; UK
* ‘What’s On Your Mind?’ by Aoife MacCormac; Ireland

Congratulations to all our winners for writing such memorable stories. We’re saddened we couldn’t take more, which is why we listed seven honourable mentions. There were several other strong contenders we had to put aside with a great deal of regret.

We received a range of work from first-time writers through to seasoned professionals. Our final group represents a spectrum of experience as well as showcasing the variety of talent writing modern horror fiction.

Thanks & respect also to Maura McHugh, who turned an idea into reality.

Offline tartarusrussell

• Ray Russell - Tartarus Press
  • Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Tartarus Press
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2010, 09:32:40 pm »
I was close...  :)
500 words isn't many for an author to get an idea over effectively, but it was an interesting exercise.
I look forward to reading the winning entries.
All the best,
Ray