Author Topic: William Meikle  (Read 74738 times)

williemeikle

Re: William Meikle
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2010, 10:03:34 PM »
There comes a point with anthology submissions where the deadline set for submissions comes and passes. That's when I start to get twitchy, knowing that the final hurdle is just ahead. I have two stories in that state, and a third joining them on Monday.

All three are to publications I really want to be in, and I don't know when the decisions will be made. I can do nothing about it but sit and wait.

I try writing, and that works, for a time.

But I keep coming back, like picking at a scab, to the fact that my submission hasn't been rejected, but hasn't been accepted.

I wait, in limbo, quivering in anticipation like a big quivering thing that's just been poked with a stick

williemeikle

« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2010, 10:17:28 PM »
 Just cracked Escapepod, THE top Sci-Fi Podcast market, with my story "Variations on a Theme." I'm a very happy bunny

williemeikle

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2010, 12:05:05 AM »
I've just done something I haven't had to do for a while - print out a story to send by snail mail. The editor of the anthology my latest story is headed for is a self-confessed Luddite and demands paper.

Which is fine by me. I cut my teeth in the early days on large piles of A4 envelopes, reams of photocopier paper and almost daily replacement of ribbons on an old daisywheel printer.

Given the acceleration of technology it feels like I'm looking back at the Dark Ages, but it was actually only fifteen years ago.

Most markets now allow electronic submissions, but it felt nice to slip a smart shiny manuscript into a new envelope, address and enclose an addressed envelope, and sign at the bottom of a cover letter.

And tomorrow I'll go to the post office and buy a couple of International Reply Coupons.

The nostalgia of it all may well overwhelm me. :-)

williemeikle

« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2010, 01:17:12 AM »
Just found out that I'm on the shortlist for another pro antho... something else to fret about then   

That's 2 pro anthos I'm on the shortlist for, and along with sales to the forthcoming hardcover Cthulhu 2012 antho, Escapepod, the Watch antho and Des Lewis' Null Immortalis it's turning into a good year for short story sales. It sort of vindicates my decision to be picky about where I submit

Here's hoping the second half goes as well.

williemeikle

« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2010, 03:56:41 PM »
Des Lewis has announced that Null Immortalis is officially released today. My story "Turn Again" is first up and I'd be very interested on any feedback on it...

williemeikle

« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2010, 12:03:42 AM »
Rakie Kieg's blog comments on the number of novels she's written made me count mine

In order of writing them, starting in 1998 I have :-

Eldren: The Book of the Dark
Eldren: The Book of the Dead (trunked and trashed as it was crap)
The Midnight Eye Files: The Amulet
Island Life
Watchers: The Coming of The King
Watchers: The Battle For the Throne
Watchers: Culloden
The Midnight Eye Files: The Sirens
The Road Hole Bunker Mystery
Generations
Hunter's Dock (not yet published)
The Concordances of the Red Serpent (not yet published)
The Midnight Eye Files: The Skin Game (not yet published)
Berserker (not yet published)
The Valley
Crustaceans
The Invasion

So the one I'm on is number 18. Blimey!

williemeikle

« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2010, 02:30:03 AM »
A Lovecraftian tale for bedtime for anyone? Listen to my story "When the Stars are Right" at Dunesteef.

http://dunesteef.com/2008/10/30/page-16-when-the-stars-are-right-by-william-meikle/

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2010, 07:21:32 AM »
Rakie Kieg's blog comments on the number of novels she's written made me count mine

In order of writing them, starting in 1998 I have :-

Eldren: The Book of the Dark
Eldren: The Book of the Dead (trunked and trashed as it was crap)
The Midnight Eye Files: The Amulet
Island Life
Watchers: The Coming of The King
Watchers: The Battle For the Throne
Watchers: Culloden
The Midnight Eye Files: The Sirens
The Road Hole Bunker Mystery
Generations
Hunter's Dock (not yet published)
The Concordances of the Red Serpent (not yet published)
The Midnight Eye Files: The Skin Game (not yet published)
Berserker (not yet published)
The Valley
Crustaceans
The Invasion

So the one I'm on is number 18. Blimey!

18 in thirteen years - good going! How many had Rakie Kieg written?

I've written just six:

Professor Challenger in Space
Quiet, the Tin Can Brains Are Hunting!
The Fear Man
His Nerves Extruded
The Doom that Came to Sea Base Delta
The Day the Moon Wept Blood

None of them fit for human consumption!

williemeikle

« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2010, 03:11:09 PM »
Another good review for Crustaceans.

"Fans of the old creature feature movies and killer animal books will find it to be a wonderful guilty pleasure. Recommended."

http://monsterlibrarian.com/killeranimals.htm#Crustaceans_by_William_Meikle

williemeikle

« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2010, 09:50:14 PM »
Interim Report for 2010

Well that's the first six months gone, and there's been good and bad on the writing front.

The year started well with the publication of my story "The Blue Hag" in the South African magazine "Something Wicked" but it was rather slim pickings after that, with only several chapbooks from GWP to show any glimmer of hope.

Recently though things are showing signs of a better year to come.

Kindle releases of several works have shown steady, if a tad unspectacular, sales.

And on the short story front, some recent sales have picked me up; one to Des Lewis' Null Immortalis anthology, one to a forthcoming anthology about Voyeurs, and a reprint sale (at a pro rate) to Escapepod. Along with that, I got confirmation of my sale to Cthulhu 2012, a forthcoming pro hardcover anthology from Mythos Books

I'm also waiting for quite a few anthology submissions that should be announced in the coming months, so fingers crossed.

On the longer work front, there should be several new print works coming in the 2nd half of the year from GWP, and the release of the 3rd Midnight Eye novel: The Skin Game, from Black Death Books.

Also coming from Black Death Books will be the release of my back catalogue with them in ebook format, bringing seven new ebooks in the coming months.

On the actual writing front, things have been a bit slower than last year but that's no bad thing as I needed a bit of a rest. I have completed a short SF novel, The Invasion and several short stories. I'm currently at work on a very British disaster novel, The Creeping Kelp, which is working out like a blend of John Wyndham and Professors Challenger and Quatermass with added shuggoths.

As for the waiting... that continues, as I hold my breath for the print editions of things I've written over the past few years, the new ebook releases, the publisher that's looking at Hunter's Dock, the anthology submissions, other submissions to various publications, and the film companies who are in various stages of preproduction on my scripts.

More news, dear readers, as it gets to me. But for now, here's to the downhill slide to the festive season.   

williemeikle

« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2010, 09:52:35 PM »

...the one I'm on is number 18. Blimey!

18 in thirteen years - good going! How many had Rakie Kieg written?

I've written just six:

Professor Challenger in Space
Quiet, the Tin Can Brains Are Hunting!
The Fear Man
His Nerves Extruded
The Doom that Came to Sea Base Delta
The Day the Moon Wept Blood

None of them fit for human consumption!

Rakie's on 15.

And you're not supposed to eat them... maybe that's the problem? :-)

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2010, 09:54:09 PM »
I thought if I made them cheesy enough...  ;D

williemeikle

« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2010, 06:43:52 PM »
What a day that was.

Let's start with some background. Two things I think are pertinent. The first is the date.

On 12th July 1984 I got married. It turned out to be the worst decision of my life, but that's a tale for another day. That same day my old Gran died and my childhood went with her. So, not a date I remember with any great fondness.

The other thing worth mentioning is that I have just started a new short story about a "Trickster" spirit.

So let's get to the day itself.

It started inauspiciously. I did my business in the morning, flushed the toilet... and the chain inside the cistern broke.

Went out to buy a new chain and checked the PO Box. I found to my delight that I had my contributors copy of the Null Immortalis anthology, one I'm particularly proud to get in to.

Back home, turned off the water supply, fixed the chain in the cistern, turned on the water supply.

Sue calls out from the garden that the washing line has broken, dumping a load of washing on the grass.

I start to head out then notice a "hissing". Further investigation shows that hot water is pouring out of the bottom of our boiler, flooding the laundry room floor. I turn off the water and phone a plumber.

Meanwhile, spend an hour or so fixing the washing line and mopping up the laundry room.

Make a coffee. Finally get online to find some arsehole has left one star reviews of my Kindle books because "Although they're right up my ally (sic) I don't have a Kindle." Resist the urge to scream and report him to Amazon for stupidity.

Ten minutes later I get notification of a pro sale to the Mountain Magic anthology, with a story I really love, The Scotsman's Fiddle.

Plumber arrives. Bad news. We need a new boiler and it will cost us all the money we had saved for a holiday later this year.

Five minutes later Sue checks her mail to find that she's won $100 in a competition.

Spend an hour draining the boiler and mopping up some more.

And just before a weary climb to bed, I get a pro payment for another story, one I sold to Escapepod.

I lay awake for hours waiting for something else to happen.

But it seems the Trickster has made his point.

I'm hoping for a calmer day today.

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2010, 07:02:41 PM »
Sounds like someone gave you a Chinese curse.

Hope you had a calmer day today.

williemeikle

« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2010, 11:27:01 PM »
Sounds like someone gave you a Chinese curse.

Hope you had a calmer day today.

Thanks David... matters did improve :-)

And I am very happy to be in the upcoming pro anthology 'Mountain Magic: Spellbinding Tales of Appalachia' coming soon from Woodland Press. Some names I recognize, others that are new to me. And my second antho in a row alongside Steve Rasnic Tem... people will start to talk.

Table of Contents

The Scotsman's Fiddle, Story by William Meikle
Top Hat, Story by Frank Larnerd
Margaret Rose, Poem by Kelly Ramsdell Fineman
Fiddlelegs, Story by Steve Vernon
The Ascension of Mercy Grace, Story by Jean Rabe
Sin Tax, Story by Stephen Couch
And this came straight from my student's mouth... , Poem by Joyce Richardson
Glory Hand, Story by Joshua Reynolds
A Silent Supper, Story by Lee Ann Sontheimer Murphy
Dancing on a Stump, Story by Karin Fuller
The Worm Conjurer, Poem by Wade German