Author Topic: Simon Strantzas  (Read 7400 times)

Offline Simon Strantzas

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • strantzas.com
Simon Strantzas
« on: March 13, 2010, 11:24:03 am »
Hello all. I resisted taking Ally up on her invitation to join here as long as I could, but this place seems to be fast growing into "the place to be". Heaven forbid I get left out in the cold!

So, about me, my weblog bio:

Simon Strantzas is the author of the critically-acclaimed COLD TO THE TOUCH (Tartarus Press, 2009), a collection of thirteen tales of the strange and supernatural. His first collection, BENEATH THE SURFACE (Humdrumming, 2008) was called "possibly the most important debut short story collection in the genre [in years]. . ." by multiple award-winning editor Stephen Jones. Strantzas's stories have appeared or are due soon in THE MAMMOTH BOOK OF BEST NEW HORROR, CEMETERY DANCE, POSTSCRIPTS, and elsewhere. In 2009, his work was nominated for the British Fantasy Award for Best Short Fiction. Current projects include a third collection of short fiction, a novella, and a short novel. He also hopes to one day catch up on a voluminous amount of reading. He has lived in Toronto, Canada, for his entire life and has no plans on leaving for sunnier climes.

I think that about covers my credentials. I'm happy to answer (or deflect) any questions, should there be any. In the interim, a short interview with me was just posted to The Savvy Reader's Bookshelf:

http://www.savvyreaders.com/Blog/post.cfm/author-simon-strantzas-interview

(Yes, those are my abs.)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 12:27:30 pm by Simon Strantzas »

Offline allybird

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • Allyson Bird website
Re: Simon Strantzas
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 11:52:49 am »
How did you know I was looking at those abs....cool place we have here  8)

Gary Fry

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 12:51:27 pm »
How's ya nov coming on, boyo?

Offline Simon Strantzas

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • strantzas.com
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 01:56:42 pm »
Slowly but surely, chief.

DFL

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 06:49:50 pm »
In common with others on this BFS Board, I have carried out a real-time review of this author's work.

http://weirdmonger.blog-city.com/beneath_the_surface_by_simon_strantzas.htm
and http://weirdmonger.blog-city.com/cold_to_the_touch__by_simon_strantzas.htm
des

Offline simonbestwick

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 12:51:59 pm »
Hey there Captain Awesome...

(There goes the neighbourhood!)

Offline Simon Strantzas

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • strantzas.com
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 04:23:45 pm »
This board has a gazillion guys named "Simon" on it. I counted.  >:(

Offline Colin (Black Abyss)

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • The Black Abyss
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 06:04:27 pm »
Hi there Simon, hope you are keeping busy.

Cheers

Simon (actually it's Colin...but I think we should all be called Simon here, kind of like Monty Python's Bruces)

Offline allybird

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • Allyson Bird website
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 03:20:08 pm »
COLD TO THE TOUCH

Reality is a thin translucent membrane that separates this world from the one beyond, and that membrane bends and buckles as we thrust ourselves against it. Through the barrier we see distorted visions, the merest glimpse of which is enough to infect our minds. . . .

Thirteen tales of strangeness and surrealism await the reader of this book; stories of loss, despair, and what happens when those without hope meet that which they cannot understand.

Two women vacationing far away encounter the mysteries of island life. . . . A trip north of the city to woods and a lake and a sky hungry for more. . . . Snow is falling, reminding the dying of all they've lost, or the young of all they have yet to lose. . . .

The other world, it awaits you in the dark, cold to the touch.

Contents: 'Under the Overpass', 'The Other Village', 'The Uninvited Guest', 'A Seed on Barren Ground', 'Writing on the Wall', 'A Chorus of Yesterdays', 'The Sweetest Song', 'Pinholes in Black Muslin', 'Fading Light', 'Poor Stephanie', 'Like Falling Snow', 'Here’s to the Good Life', 'Cold to the Touch, and 'Afterword'.

Published by Tartarus Press.

Offline Simon Strantzas

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • strantzas.com
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 10:20:13 pm »
I imagine anyone coming to this thread is doing so on the strength of "Cold to the Touch", but if by chance someone reading this is looking for a copy, you can visit Tartarus Press here: http://www.tartaruspress.com/coldtothetouch.htm

The book just made the Recommended list of SFsite.com and has also garnered reviews such as:

"Outcasts and disaffected loners find their alienated states of mind mirrored in eerie and inexplicable experiences in this noteworthy collection of thirteen weird tales . . . Readers who prefer subtlety to shocks and suggestion over explicitness in horror fiction will find much to enjoy."
— Publishers Weekly

"Strantzas succeeds in imbuing his strange tales with the sense of intellectual fear..."
— Dead Reckonings

"A new and important voice in the canon of weird fiction."
— FearZone

Offline simonkurt

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Simon Kurt Unsworth's Blog
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 08:06:49 am »
Hello third or fourth Simon! I'm the first Simon! Me!

Nice to see you here!

S

Offline Simon Strantzas

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • strantzas.com
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2010, 08:21:57 pm »
Good news, everyone. My first collection, BENEATH THE SURFACE, is due to be reprinted shortly. This version will contain more stories, and unlike the first edition actually remain available for more than six weeks (at least, that's my hope). Stay tuned!

Offline simonbestwick

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 08:48:16 am »
Great news Captain Awesome!

Offline allybird

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • Allyson Bird website
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2010, 01:35:43 pm »
Good news, Simon!

My experience of working with Dark Regions Press has been fine. I'm sure they'll look after you.  :)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 01:38:11 pm by allybird »

Offline Simon Strantzas

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • strantzas.com
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2010, 09:46:10 pm »
So far so good, Ally.