Author Topic: Jon Courtenay Grimwood  (Read 3854 times)

JonCG

Jon Courtenay Grimwood
« on: March 09, 2010, 07:11:01 pm »
Okay, just finished writing the Fallen Blade - historical fantasy featuring an assassin set in 15th century Venice - and now story arcing (sp) the next two books while I wait for the UK and US editors notes. Also awaiting cover roughs (always nervewracking)

That's it. Time to get back to my laptop and bottle of tsing tao
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 02:18:55 pm by JonCG »

Offline allybird

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • Allyson Bird website
Re: Jon Courtenay Grimwood
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 07:12:49 pm »
Good to see you in here! I had to look that up you know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsingtao_Brewery

JonCG

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 07:22:16 pm »
Excellent writing beer (made that up, obviously) 8)

JonCG

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 02:17:43 pm »
Just had kind comments from Lucius Shepard which has made my day... Still need to finish the two story arcs for the fallen blade books 2&3, but getting closer and using Supernotecard to outline final chapters and then shuffling. Anyone suggest better planning software I'd be interested to hear it. Also wondering if/hoping I can scrape the readies together to do a quick and dirt (and cheap) last minute trip to Venice next week to find locations for assorted scenes...

Okay, back to work. 

GLPowell

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 11:23:18 pm »
Hi Jon,

Tsing Tao is my favourite Chinese beer. The only touble is, it comes in such small bottles.

See you at Eastercon again this year?

Weston Ochse

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 03:27:53 am »
Little known fact. One of the reasons Chinese beers are good is because the Germans during WWII, upset with the Allied bombardment of their towns, factories and breweries, relocated said breweries to Japanese-controlled Chinese territory. When the war ended, the Chinese kept brewing. Beijing Beer is some of the best beer around and it's nothing more than German pilsner. End of factoid.

JonCG

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 06:25:46 pm »
Okay, that's not good. Wrote long post and had it wiped when it was trying to load...

Looking forward to Eastercon, although I'm only riding up from Winchester on the Saturday and staying the day as it's the day of my wedding arriversary and the last time we spent our anniversary at Eastercon it almost produced a divorce. In fairness, that was in Liverpool, a number of rooms at the Adelphi were robbed, the restuarant decided to shut half way through our clebratory meal, and there was a football riot outside. ::) So this time I'll ride up on the Bonnie, stay sober and ride down again that evening.

Just seen the illustation for the cover of the Fallen Blade and it's great. Apparently a proof of the cover, with silver type and stuff is in the mail from the US so I'll post it here if allowed. Still waiting for the combined UK/US editorial notes but should have them tomorrow. It'll be the first time I've done a combined edit for both. Rather separate UK and US edits. Should be interesting (he says hopefully).

JonCG

life, skulls, deadlines, the usual
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 01:34:26 pm »
Well, been to Venice and come back since my last post. Went to find locations for second Fallen Blade book, which would have been great if my UK and US editors hadn't combined to ask for three new chapters to the first Fallen Blade book. So ended up in hotel overlooking Grand Canal, hunched over a laptop while I emptied the minibar of beer and wafer biscuits and wrote and edited the new bits. Then I went and made my feet sore looking for new locations! I've always liked Assassin's Alley, but finding a Courtyard of Death of good. And I particularly liked finding a coat of arms with a skull in place of the usual helmet...

There's a feature on Lucius Shepard's Life During Wartime in the new issue of SFX. For me it's always been a great book and a hard stare at the declared and undeclared wars in Central America. Judging from the readers' comments in the sidebar to the piece not everyone agreed. Okay, that's it. My anniversary this weekend, so not planning to risk life and limb going to Eastercon for the whole period. I will, however, be going up for the day on Saturday on my Bonnie, so drop by and say hello if you want.

JonCG

neoAddix available for free download
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 08:45:10 pm »
My first, worst and rarest novel - long out of print - now available for download at www.j-cg.co.uk

Written in 1993 at a kitchen table in Tottenham, North London, neoAddix was eventually published by New English Library, part of Hodder, in January 1997 (having spent over a year gathering dust at Gollancz, then in the middle of being swallowed by Cassell). Marketed by NEL as a 'cyber noir ultra-shocker', described by Maxim as featuring a 'plutonium-density plot' & categorised by Dick Jude of Forbidden Planet fame as 'weirdshit', neoAddix was the book on which I learnt to write. (Well, began to learn to write.) And the only one which I've refused to let go back into print. So take that into account. This is, sadly, the cut-version I sent to NEL. Since I've lost the files for the original, longer book.

Okay, that's it. Except for hi to everyone who was at Eastercon and hope to see you next year to those who weren't.

JonCG

US Cover for The Fallen Blade
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 07:27:38 pm »
Right, had a couple of shots trying to post the US cover for The Fallen Blade here but site keeps saying upload bucket is full or something, and promptly deletes everything I've written, so you can find it at www.j-cg.co.uk

Catalogue copy follows:

'In the depths of night, customs officers board a galley in a harbor and overpower its guards.  In the hold they find oil and silver, and a naked boy chained to the bulkhead.  Stunningly beautiful but half-starved, the boy has no name. The officers break the boy's chains to rescue him, but he escapes.

Venice is at the height of its power. In theory Duke Marco commands. But Marco is a simpleton so his aunt and uncle rule in his stead. They command the seas, tax the colonies, and, like those in power before them, fears assassins better than their own. In a side chapel, Marco's fifteen-year old cousin prays for deliverance from her forced marriage.  It is her bad fortune to be there when Mamluk pirates break in to steal a chalice, but it is the Mamluks' good luck - they kidnap her.

In the gardens beside the chapel, Atilo, the Duke's chief assassin, prepares to kill his latest victim. Having cut the man's throat, he turns back, having heard a noise, and finds a boy crouched over the dying man, drinking blood from the wound. The speed with which the boy dodges a dagger and scales a wall stuns Atilo.  And the assassin knows he has to find the boy. Not to kill him, but because he's finally found what he thought he would never find. Someone fit to be his apprentice...'

JonCG

Now with added pic, I hope...
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 12:30:55 pm »

Offline The Beast

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Murky Depths
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 02:11:29 pm »
Jon's short story Glory Of The Empire first appeared in Murky Depths #12:
Art: by Neil Roberts (cover artist for 2000AD)
while the cover, based on the story, is by Nancy Farmer