Author Topic: Richard Matheson  (Read 3415 times)

Chris Teague

Richard Matheson
« on: July 26, 2004, 09:40:34 am »
I've almost finished his fairly recent US Tor collection, which includes The Incredible Shrinking Man plus, probably, his most famous short stories, including Duel and Terror at 20,000 feet.  Despite a tangible 1950s Americana-feel, he's still a master of urban unease.

My favourite is probably The Distributor, which was incredibly unsettling, and gives door-to-door salesmen a bad name.

Many of the stories, though - including Button, Button - I got the impression that they were "lost" Twilight Zone episodes: short and sparse, more like narrative screenplays than actual prose.

Highly recommended, and cost me a smidge under four quid from amazon.

Offline Wayne Mook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
Richard Matheson
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2004, 08:57:52 pm »
I like Richard Mathheson's sparse style. I picked up the 3 Shocks books second hand. Slaughter House, was a haunted house tale that I really like. I've not read The Incredible Shrinking Man but I Am Legend is a corking book.

Some did feel like twilight Zone or bits to a portmanteau film. Some of Robert Bloch's tales have the same feel. Of his i do like the tale Enoch.

Wayne.

Chris Teague

Richard Matheson
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2005, 10:58:59 am »
Just received the Gauntlet Press limited edition hardback collection of Duel (screenplay and story) and The Distributor (un-produced screenplay and story) plus a few other bits and pieces.  Pretty expensive at $60, but that's the good thing about selling books to Shocklines. :)