Author Topic: BFAs: I can't believe you forgot about...!?  (Read 4554 times)

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
BFAs: I can't believe you forgot about...!?
« on: March 15, 2010, 08:35:19 AM »
We'll be announcing the BFA longlist this week, and there are bound to be lots of worthy works that didn't get recommended by our members - we read a lot, but we can't read everything!

However, all is not lost. In the first round of voting proper, members are allowed to make write-in votes.

So here's a thread for alerting members to the missing works....

Offline tartarusrussell

• Ray Russell - Tartarus Press
  • Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Tartarus Press
Re: BFAs: I can't believe you forgot about...!?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 08:56:38 AM »
I thought I'd done well with my recommendations this year, only to realise I'd forgotten a couple of obvious candidates. Luckily, others had better memories of 2009... :)

Mark Deniz

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 09:58:28 AM »
Am a little surprised that www.morriganbooks.com have missed out on every award this year, considering that we have released two quality anthologies: Grants Pass and Dead Souls, with authors such as Ramsey Campbell, Gary McMahon, Kaaron Warren, Jay Lake, Cherie Priest, Paul Finch (the list just goes on) within.

Considering what we have done since our emergence in 2008, I was totally convinced we would also be considered for best small press too (at least in the longlist stage).

I've been reliably informed that it is not too late to vote for us, so remember us as you get ready to tick those boxes!

Offline Rebecca Payne

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 12:06:21 PM »
I completely forgot to nominate anything! Therefore I'd like to give a belated shout for Lady of the White-Spired City by Sarah L. Edwards from Interzone #222.  :)

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 12:50:57 PM »
I completely forgot to nominate anything! Therefore I'd like to give a belated shout for Lady of the White-Spired City by Sarah L. Edwards from Interzone #222.  :)

Neither did I!

AdrianF

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 03:04:03 PM »
I vowed to make use of my voting privileges this year and whilst I did remember to nominate in the BSFA awards, the BFS Awards got delayed until it was too late.  I'm feeling very guilty about that.  I would have nominated Nights of Villjamur to the BFS as well.

Offline allybird

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • Allyson Bird website
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 08:29:58 PM »
I rec'd quite a few at this stage but thought someone would rec Steve Volk's After the Ape. Wonderful story and would put it forward...

Offline iamacanadian

• Canadian, but not un-cultured!
  • Thaumaturge
  • Selecting Only the Finest Expertsí Made-Up Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Atomic Fez Publishing
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 06:19:16 PM »
I agree with Ally, and would add Sarah Pinborough's tale "Snow Angels" in the same volume (oh so very sad, that one).
Ian Alexander Martin; Proprietor, Atomic Fez Publishing

Offline The Beast

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Murky Depths
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 08:40:02 PM »
I was quite surprised that Issue #10 was the only cover of Murky Depths that received a nomination. I thought Chris Moore's cover for Issue #7 was spectacular. But, of course, I can't vote for something I commissioned or published.