Author Topic: Cate Gardner  (Read 5833 times)

Offline simonbestwick

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Cate Gardner
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2010, 10:22:56 AM »
Fantastic news, Cate!  Congratulations.

Carole

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2010, 02:51:00 PM »
I'll second that!  :D

Offline Cate Gardner

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Cate Gardner
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2010, 05:01:43 PM »
To celebrate the forthcoming release of my short story collection, 'Strange Men in Pinstripe Suits', I am hosting a blog award contest - http://www.strangemeninpinstripesuits.com/p/blog-award-contest.html - with some (I think) awesome prizes, incl. books by Paul Jessup, Ramsey Campbell and Lisa Mannetti.

louisebohmer

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2010, 01:13:42 AM »
Can't wait for my copy, Cate.  :)

Offline Cate Gardner

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Cate Gardner
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2010, 05:28:09 PM »
Thanks, Louise.

Offline allybird

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • Allyson Bird website
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2010, 06:08:07 PM »
Looking good, Cate! And that site with your cover on is stunning!

Offline Cate Gardner

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Cate Gardner
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2010, 06:15:30 PM »
Thanks, Ally. ;D

Offline Cate Gardner

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Cate Gardner
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2010, 06:18:24 PM »
Well I was hoping and hoping and hoping some more that my little collection 'Strange Men in Pinstripe Suits' would appear on the fabled Amazon UK but so far no luck, but it looks very pretty over at [url]http://www.amazon.com/Strange-Pinstripe-Suits-Curious-Things/dp/0982026641/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1287153880&sr=8-1url]

Some fabulous people have reviewed it...

There’s an absolutely wonderful line in one of the stories included in this collection (Trench Foot) which sums everything up about Cate Gardner’s stories, and which goes thusly: “Sometimes Amelia forgot she was living with people who existed on the wrong side of reality.”

Simon Marshall Jones, Beyond Fiction

Cate Gardner has a way with titles.

The 24 stories which make up Ms. Gardner’s first collection, the aptly named Strange Men in Pinstripe Suits and Other Curious Things, each have a title which is at once both evocative and intriguing. Luckily for the reader, the stories attached to those titles do not disappoint. They are a frothy mixture of reprints and previously unpublished works, but the various themes remain constant throughout.

Joshua Reynolds, Innsmouth Free Press

Offline Cate Gardner

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Cate Gardner
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2010, 06:19:23 PM »
And also a review over at the Shimmer Magazine blog... "This land may be called Wonderland or Nowhere, but whatever the name, Gardner maps it with careful, melancholy strokes..."  by E. Catherine Tobler (who makes me think of Toblerone - darn). :D

Offline Cate Gardner

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Cate Gardner
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2011, 05:26:14 PM »
A couple of new releases since I last frequented this post...

This is an extremely layered and complex story, that keeps the readers interest, with the use of some extremely good writing...

...Jim McLeod at Ginger Nuts of Horror

If you're looking for a dark funhouse ride through the fragile human psyche, led by a talented and impressive tour guide, NOWHERE HALL is your ticket.

....Walt Hicks at Page Horrific

Plus, my first novella, Barbed Wire Hearts, was released last week...

Offline Cate Gardner

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Cate Gardner
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2011, 05:55:47 PM »
A new review of my forthcoming novella Theatre of Curious Acts and it's a mighty pretty one...

http://www.theeloquentpage.co.uk/2011/12/13/theatre-of-curious-acts-by-cate-gardner/

Offline Cate Gardner

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Cate Gardner
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2012, 11:31:40 AM »
Finally adding my latest release....

...published by Hadley Rille Books, Dec 2011

"Daniel Cole wants the world to  end.

Returned home from the Great War, his parents and brother in their graves, Daniel walks a ghost world. When players in a theatre show lure Daniel and his friends, fellow soldiers, into a surreal otherworld they find themselves trapped on an apocalyptic path with the Four Horsewomen of the Apocalypse.

Already broken by war, these men are now the world's only hope in the greatest battle of all."

Offline Cate Gardner

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Cate Gardner
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2012, 02:15:09 PM »
Peter Tennant has kindly reviewed three of my books (Theatre of Curious Acts, Barbed Wire Hearts, and my chapbook, Nowhere Hall) in the latest issue of Black Static.

"Cate Gardner doesn't write like anybody else. In a field where individuality is prized and having a unique voice is valued above all else, she is a true original, a writer whose work brings to mind the imagery of Magritte as distorted by the aesthetic of Tim Burton, but with a playfulness and humanity that is all her own..." http://ttapress.com/blackstatic/currentissue/

Offline Cate Gardner

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Cate Gardner
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2012, 06:33:27 PM »
Goldfish Grimm's Spicy Fiction Sushi have published my short story, Through Bleached Bone.

It's available here: http://goldfishgrimm.com/back-issues/issue-3-shadow-and-stitch/through-bleached-bone-cate-gardner/

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2012, 08:12:18 PM »
Cate, just wanted to thank you (I don't think I have before?) for recommending Freedom in your interview on the Black Static blog. It's been really useful...