Author Topic: Matt Hughes  (Read 62191 times)

Offline hapthorn

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
Podcast interview
« Reply #255 on: December 15, 2018, 06:42:36 pm »
When I was at VCon in Vancouver a few weeks ago, I did an interview with Robin Shantz for his Invaders from Planet 3 podcast.  I may have said more than I should about my colorful past, but, hey, I can be garrulous.

Here's a link: http://bloginhood.blogspot.com/2018/12/ep-25-matthew-hughes.html

Offline hapthorn

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
Welcome to Pacific City
« Reply #256 on: December 22, 2018, 08:03:53 pm »
I hang around on a website called SFF World, handing out advice on writing and publishing, because the site draws a number of aspiring specfic authors.

Every now and then, the members get together and do a theme anthology, the latest of which is Welcome to Pacific City, a collection of stories all set in a fictional Oregon coast metropolis whose name I'm sure you can infer.  The theme of the antho is superheroes.

I contributed the origin tale, borrowing liberally from the true-life history of how Vancouver was founded by a man who paddled up from New Westminster with a barrel of whisky and talked the workers at a sawmill into building him a saloon.

The ebook version of the anthology is now available for pre-order, dirt cheap at an introductory price.  Down the road there will be a paperback, and I'll draw attention to that when it comes.

But for now you can pre-order W2PC from Amazon as a bargain.  Here's a link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07LH65XL9

Offline hapthorn

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
What the Wind Brings
« Reply #257 on: January 01, 2019, 06:40:20 pm »
Looks as if I'll be starting the new year on a promising note.  I'm going to make a deal with Pulp Literature Press, an up and coming Canadian small publisher, for my big historical novel (with slipstream elements), What the Wind Brings.

This is a big deal for me, in that the novel is pretty much a life's work.

It's based on incidents I first heard about in 1971 or 1972, as a footnote in a university textbook.  The core gist:  shipwrecked African slaves melded with the indigenous peoples of coastal Ecuador in the mid 1500s, and together they fought the Spanish colonial power to a standstill, to remain independent, basically, for centuries.

After more than forty years of thinking about the story, I was lucky enough to receive a C$25,000 Canada Council grant to write the book.  I did five drafts, which is three more than I usually do.  It's a hell of a story,  my magnum opus, the one I want to be remembered for.

We're probably looking at a summer 2019 release.  I'll keep updating on the process and trying to stimulate pre-orders.  As I say, it's a meaningful event for me -- not financially, but in terms of my being able to think I've done something worthwhile.

Offline hapthorn

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
Ebooks on sale
« Reply #258 on: January 09, 2019, 06:17:38 pm »
Bundoran Press is offering a StoryBundle bargain:  four classic SF ebooks for US$5.

And if you up your payment to $15, you get eight more books by established stars and up-and-comers.

The basic four includes my standalone Archonate novel, Template, my only serious attempt to write a Jack Vance space opera.

Buy the whole package and you get novels by greats like Tanya Huff, Robert J. Sawyer, Edward Willett (some of whose books I’ve edited), and a never-before-available short story collection by James Alan Gardner.

Great books at great prices.  Here’s where to go:  https://storybundle.com/scifi?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=bundoranscifi

This is a time-limited offer, with three weeks to go.  Get ’em while they’re going, because by the end of the month, they’ll be gone.