Author Topic: Radio  (Read 68567 times)

Offline Wayne Mook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
Radio
« on: April 25, 2003, 10:52:23 PM »
Am I the only genre radio listener?

Has any one heard Radio 7 yet? I have only just gone on line (previously it was net cafes). So I have not heard it. Plus DAB radios are harder to find than rocking horse do do and only ?100+.

So far 7 has aired Asimov's Foundation, King's Pet Cemetery, Fear on Four (Possibly a repeat  :) ), Old Harry's Game, Dr. Who (lots) and several SF series.

Offline Wayne Mook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
Radio
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2003, 09:19:03 PM »
Have finally been on BBC Radio 7.

It has quite a lot of repeats. Gosh who would have thought they would do that on digital. :o

Journey Into Space was on. Operation Luna, From 1958 and that was a remake.

Sadly I missed the Terry Pratchett stuff, Wyrd Sisters. Ho Hum.  :(

I did get to hear Dr. Who. The Ghosts of N-Space by William Ingram starring Jon Pertwee and Liz Sladen (Sarah Jane Smith). Now I know what demons are.  8)  part 3 is on Sunday.

Vincent Price introduced The Price of Fear (Punners should be punished. Sorry.) and making comments during this slightly quaint series of plays.

On Radio 4 Thursday 1st May at 11pm is Olalla by Robert Louis Stevenson as part of The darker Side of the Border. Let me know if you heard it and thought of it.

Offline Wayne Mook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
Radio
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2003, 09:09:40 PM »
April was 'The Handmaid's Tale' month. Not only was it dramatised on Radio BBC 7, Margaret Atwood spoke about it on the world service and add to this it appeared on radio 3 as an opera.  :roll:

I missed the opera, did anyone hear it? what was it like?

Just heard Fear on Four on Radio 7. It makes sense to me. :?   The Speciality of the House was a lovely little tale starring Timothy West.

If you hear of any coming events on radio post them here please.

Offline Wayne Mook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
Radio
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2003, 12:38:51 AM »
Hello,

Does any listen Radio? perhaps not.  :shock:

What do people think of the dramatisation of old tales like Ollala?

If there are any repeats on radio or tales you think should be dramatised let me know.

Des

Radio
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2003, 09:08:50 AM »
I don't think I can get Radio 7.
However, I shall never forget a reading of the whole of THE HOUSE ON THE BORDERLAND by William Hope Hodgson that was broadcast on BBC Radio London in 1973 (?) - read aloud in two very long episodes by Tom Vernon (who later became the Fat Man On A Bicycle on TV).  This was complete with sound effects, including pig noises!
The amazing thing is - despite trying over the years - I cannot find anyone else who heard it.  Often I get the impression that nobody believes me, either!
Des

Offline Wayne Mook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
Radio
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2003, 12:08:41 AM »
Sorry Des I'm not from London so I would not know but I will ask around.

You can get BBC Radio 7 on DAB radio, on digital tv and I think on one of the audio satelite channels. On the internet it is at www.bbc.co.uk/bbc7.

As with all BBC radio channels you can listen online. On most there is also a playback facility if you missed progammes. But only on a select few.

Again on 7 we had the on going exploits of Dr. Who, the Brigadier and his uncle. I do like these, it reminds me of being a kid, even if at times the shoe horning of visuals from the TV show is a bit clumsy. This was followed by another Price of Fear show. Not totally decided about this show, I'll let you know when I do. Vincent Price is excellent though. Anyone heard of William Ingram the writer? Let me know.

From 1953 John Wyndham's 'The Chrysalids' is due to start on the 14th May.

Plus in June 7 will also be doing 90 min plays at last. To start with will be a short season of film noirs, the first being 'Double Idemnity'.

Plus on Radio 4 Thursday at 11 the 3rd and final episode 'The Darker Side of the Border', "The Brownie of the Black Haggs" by James Hogg.

Hopefully I will review the latter stuff in Prism.

Offline Wayne Mook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
Radio
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2003, 03:56:19 AM »
Sorry Des still no luck on that show. I will keep looking.

Well The Darker Side of the Border finished on r 4. Hopefully I will be reviewing it in Prism. The series had a slightly old fashioned feel to it. Still very enjoyable.

Also on 4 was A World Full of Weeping, a tale of child abduction and possible haunting. It was rather slow but well built. In trying to be mysterious etc. it made the ending very unsatisfying. A prism review will follow, honest.  :wink:

Another slow tale was the 20 year old, Hordes of the Things on BBC radio7. A parody of LOTR (Lord of the Rings) its pace slowed for comedy digressions. Set in the dark days when only Albion faced the evil dark one and Trolls slept around. A lovely cast as well. Part 2 of 4 is next Saturday (17th). Worth catching.

The Price of Fear carries on, though Dr. Who came to an end. This Sunday (11th) Terry Pratchett's Only You Can Save Mankind starts and runs next Saturday and sunday (3 parts).

On the horizon on 7 is Dan Dare, who will be up against the Mekon this May.

Oneword another didgital radio station available as bbc radio 7. The web address is www.oneword.co.uk.

It has been playing old US radio shows. Last night at 11.30 was Boris Karloff in The Wailing Wall, an old Inner Sanctum tale. A variant on the The Black Cat/ The Tell-tale Heart. Very atmospheric. Last week was the Conqueror's Isle, a tale of human mutants who want to take over the world. It sounded like the programme was called Escape. I know next to nothing about this so if someone could give me info on this I would be grateful. Not a bad little tale.

The listing on Oneword are scant, but better than on the Radio Times site, which gives the wrong show, which in turn is better the the magazine the Radio Times which has got the listing wrong completely. BBC 7 listings are not much better.  :evil: Now I've got that off my chest I feel better.  :D

Happy listening  :)

Des

Radio
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2003, 09:53:29 AM »
Sorry Des still no luck on that show. I will keep looking.

Thanks, Wayne.  I've always had the same trouble.  But I assure you (unless my sanity is to be doubted!) that the programme did exist.  It was broadcast live, I recall.  Des :?

Offline Wayne Mook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
Fear on Four
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2003, 01:04:44 AM »
The Dead Drummer was the latest little tale. The very atmospheric tale of travellers on Salsbury Plain and the drumming that follows them.  Fear on 4 was always a favourite series and I'm glad to hear that time had not coloured the memory.

Next up Only You Can Save Mankind. I do like Terry Pratchett and I for one think this tale  does him justice.  Well what would you do if the aliens in the game you were playing gave up?

As you may have guessed BBC7 is mainly an archive site, but not everything is a repeat. There are new shows too, but repeats are the greatest part of output. A lovely listen.

Offline Wayne Mook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
radio
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2003, 08:48:20 PM »
Next week on radio 7 we have Golden Apples of the Sun, four tales by Ray Bradbury on Saturday and Sunday. Dan Dare takes on the Mekon in for parts (Mon - Thur), followed by Space Force (6 eps).

A cracking tale, repeated later tonight, is The Dispossessed Daughter. Part of the Fear on Four repeat run on BBC 7. The use of modern appliances give the drama an extra edge since they are ideal fodder for the  sound effects dept. Here one year after the death of a daughter only three months old, ghostly sounds come from the wall monitor in the room of the second daughter now three months old, but is someone keeping a secret? Good cast, top production and one of the best stories in an excellent series. If you have never heard the Man in Black, do so now.   :!:

On Oneword we had Vincent Price in Blood Bath part of the old series called Escape. Basically it was a re-run of The Treasure of the Sierra Madre set in the South American jungle. Propectors hit it rich, and fall out during a hazard trip back to civilition. Very nicely done if a little over the top. How unlucky can one expedition be?  :shock:

Next Saturday night its The Martian Chronicles on Oneword, so an extra helping of Ray Bradbury. Its odd how lots of one writer's work suddenly appears. This week it was F. Scott Fitzgerald. The Great Gatsby on 7 and Tender is the Night on 4, as are four short stories during the week (Tue - Fri).

I missed The Chrysalids, curse the person who invented work  :evil: , has anyone got a copy of it?? Let me know and hopefully we can sort  something out.

Can anyone give details on an serial called Escape? Apart from a couple of episodes I know little about it. Plus can anyone direct me to any good radio sights/discussion boards? Must of the ones I've visited are dead or petrified in the mists of time. :cry:

Offline Wayne Mook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
Golden Apples of the Sun
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2003, 06:16:24 PM »
Sorry I'm a bit late for the first airing of this but I kept getting dumped.  :evil:  Don't you just love the net.  :roll:

Finally I've got a listing for Golden Apples of the Sun.
The April Witch, The Fog Horn, The Flying Machine & The Fruit at the Bottom of the Bowl.
Sat/Sun May 24/25 & 31/June 1 - 6pm & repeated midnight.

Next week 6pm and midnight.  Space Force (eps 2 - 6) and Stephen Baxter's Voyage. I'll probably miss this due to work  :cry: as I did Dan Dare.  

Guess I'll have to convince my partner to buy more gadgets.  :twisted:

Offline Wayne Mook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
Golden Apples of the Sun.
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2003, 09:49:00 PM »
Just when you think you've got he goods on something things go pear shaped.  :(  At least the times were right for broadcast on bbc 7.

In Golden Apples of the Sun each episode contains two stories. The listing are terrible for digital radio, the newsletter helps, but even that was wrong.  :x

So episode one contained : Golden Apples of the Sun and Hail and Farewell. Episode two : The Flying Machine and The Fruit at the Bottom of the Bowl.

I know some people find Bradbury's tales too purple in prose and meander, as well  at times being pointless or too obvious. To those who think this avoid these shows. To be honest I love Ray Bradbury's work. Here the tales range through SF (man's mission to the sun), the supernatural (permanent childhood and its problems), realism (the problem of a human kite in ancient china) and crime (what to do about fingerprints). They have a nice folksy storytelling feel and are always humane, even when dealing with the nastiest of situations.

The next two shows I would totally recommend and hopefully I well have the titles at least.

Anorak alert  :wink: . The shows were originally broadcast on radio 5  BL (before live) in 1991.

Fear on Four is still running as is The Price of Fear, on Radio 7. I've decided that I like P of F, the tales remind me of the old Pan book of horror tales. The series is originally from the 70's and 80's.

Offline Wayne Mook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
CARMILLA
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2003, 12:57:36 AM »
Well it looks like a good week for the genre on radio.

Radio 4 has a brand new telling of Carmilla. The classic vampire tale. Starring David Warner, Kenneth Cranham, Brana Bajic and Ann-Marie Duff. Thursday 5th June at 2.15 pm.  Don't worry if your at work you can catch it on playback on the Radio 4 site upto a week after it airs.

On Tuesday and Wednesday (3 & 4 ) at 2.15 are 2 repeats of interest. i)A Fairy Lost in the 21st Century. Warren, 11, wakes up a fairy after 700 years sleep and takes it home. ii)A Polish Soldier. James, sees a figure in old uniform and is linked to hidden pain and mystery of childhood.

Oneword - The man Who Couldn't Die starring Richard Widmark. The listings are wonderful for Oneword.

on BBC 7 we have Voyage - 6 and midnight all week. On Weekend we have Fear on Four (The Horn next Sunday and The Price of Fear (The Ninth Removal by R. Chetwynd-Hayes on Sat.). Plus at 6 & midnight Space Force the sequel to space quest (Sat & Sun) and on Sat 20:00 Tales from the Mausoleum Club - A parody of the Suicide Club. It says Spike Milligan is in this one.

on Tuesday is On The Town with The League of Gentlemen, at 10 pm.

Good listening.  :D

Offline Wayne Mook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
Radio Voices.
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2003, 03:13:58 PM »
Well today on BBC 7 we have Fear on Four. 6pm and repeated at 12.30 and Sherlock Holmes in the Sign of Four.

Next week (BBC 7) we have Stephen King's Salem's Lot (6pm and midnight) followed in the next 3 weeks, by Secret Window, Secret Garden; and Pet Semetary. There are various Sherlock tales during the week early on.

On Oneword is The Most Dangerous Game starring Orson Wells, Tuesday at 8.30pm and Saturday 11 pm. The Ghost and Mrs Muir is on Saturday at 9 pm.  their is also a biography of Conan Doyle during the week and a Sherlock Holmes tale (Sussex Vampire) on Thursday, 8.30 pm.

Well it appears this week is Arthur week.  :lol:  sorry  :roll:

Offline Wayne Mook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2003, 03:43:20 PM »
On Radio 4 Bill Nighy begins reading 1984 each weekday on a Book at Bedtime (10.45). (Oneword have been running the reading by Timothy West.)   :roll:  

On BBC7 the Stephen King theme carries on. See previous post.  Next Saturday Thr Ghosts of Albion, at 6 and midnight for an hour. See the bbci cult section to see the 'Flash' version and more info. The spirit of Albion opposes Evil and a new champion Tamara Swift is to be chosen.(Animation by Cosgrove Hall - dangermouse et al) :D

On Oneword we have Time and Time Again.  Not much info I know.   :evil:   Its on the same slot as The Most Dangerous Game was Tue 8.30pm and Saturday 11pm.