Author Topic: Radio  (Read 103049 times)

Offline Wayne Mook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
A Little Scientifiction
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2003, 10:29:54 pm »
Hello  :)

On Oneword on Thursday and Friday (3 and 4 of July) we have 2 45 minutes helpings of SF. Thursday features 2001: a Space Odyssey and Friday has The Time Machine. Both 11 am and repeated at 5 pm.

They are also running the Hunchback of Notre Dame. Monday to Wednesday - 1.30 am, 2.00pm and 11pm.

But if you want to know real fear Thursday's Oneword features Ann Wiidecombe.  :shock:

On BBC7 we have Paradise Lost in Space, Sun 29 Jun, 18:00 - 18:30  30 mins. The blurb says Norman is an idealist with a hand grenade. Max is a cheerful bore. They will soon ruin the lives of some friendly aliens. [ 6 episodes for this one lovies.   :) ] followed by the ever lovely, Fear on Four.
   On 7, The Day Of The Triffids  Sat. 5th. at 6pm and Sun. 6 Jul, midnight  60 mins.  And here is what the beeb says about it. World domination has begun in this adaptation of John Wyndam's celebrated novel. The triffids have taken over.  (I know the repeat stuff is by the beeb not me for once  :? )

Stereo

Offline Wayne Mook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
Fahrenheit 451
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2003, 10:11:25 pm »
An all new production of Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451 is on radio 4 on Saturday 5th July (2.30 pm). I don't know how this little baby almost got under the radar.  :oops:  It stars Stephen Tomlin and the show looks like it will be excellent. Don't worry if you miss it, it will appear on Radio 4's playback facility.  :D

On the same day at 11pm Oneword has No Rest For the Dead. An old serial in the Vintage Thrillers and Chillers spot.  :wink:

Offline Wayne Mook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
I'm back.
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2003, 01:23:48 am »
Well I missed the Ray Bradbury (F 451), even on playback. Sometimes Holidays have their draw back.   :(

OK, this is a late warning but, Asimov's Foundation Triology is on BBC radio 7. Starts Saturday (19th July) at 6 pm (repeat at 12 midnight). 8 episodes.  Epic SF history of the galactic empire.  :D

Sunday still has Paradise  Lost in Space (SF comedy) and Fear on Four (One shot horror tales).  8)

Next week sees Earthsearch 2 on the 6/midnight slot plus Dick Barton Special Agent at 1 pm to 1.30, repeat at 8 pm. Note each one is 2 episodes. What an excellent maguffin fest.  :P

On Oneword at 11pm is The Judas Clock. No idea what this is.  :cry:

Offline Wayne Mook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
Sherlock Holmes
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2003, 09:01:19 pm »
On BBC7 Sunday 20th July, Sherlock Holmes, The Hound of the baskerville (2 pts, each 1 hour), at 8 am and 9 pm.

BBC7 Monday to Friday has The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes (45 mins) at 11 am and 2 am the following morning.

Pleasant listening.  :)

Offline Wayne Mook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
Little change in the land of speech.
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2003, 04:08:58 pm »
I’m not slacking things have not changed much on radio.

BBC7 still has The Foundation Trilogy, Earthsearch II, Paradise Lost In Space, Sherlock Holmes and Fear On Four at the same times.

Oneword has Requiem on Saturday – 11pm.
Tuesday at 8.30, repeat Sat. 11pmis Ready my Grave. Sounds promising.

Offline Wayne Mook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
Radio
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2003, 12:17:20 am »
Well here is your friendly radio announcer with another what’s on.

BBC Radio 7.
   Saturday 2 Aug. The Foundation Trilogy (3/8.) chugs along at 6pm and midnight.

Sunday 3 Aug. At 1pm and repeat at 2am the following morning, is One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest. This horror and done by the Beeb. 8)
   6.30pm repeated 6 hours later is Fear on Four. The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman. This is an excellent late of haunting madness. If its half as good as last weeks The Judge’s House by Bram Stoker you will not regret listening to it.  :wink:
   There’s a special on James Follet at 8 am and 9pm called Men, Martians and Machines. He did Earthsearch (Starts next Monday at 6pm), Earthsearch II (finished today), The Devil to Pay and The Bionic Blob: of which some feature in the special.  :D

Oneword
   Saturday 2 Aug. at 9 Hollywood Theatre has Strangers on a Train (The old Hitch tale) Starring Ray Milland.
   At 11pm is Make Ready My Grave, sorry for misleading anyone by missing of a word. As if the crummy listing were not bad enough. :oops:
   Tuesday 5 Aug. 8.30 pm is Zero Hour by Ray Bradbury. At last they have stopped calling this spot a Comedy Classic. Its now just Vintage Radio.  :o

Radio 4 has a thing on the Jabberwocky, Adventure in Poetry. 11.30 pm Sat 3 Aug.

Offline Wayne Mook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
More Radio.
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2003, 02:23:11 am »
RTE. The Irish national broadcaster.

On Rte radio 1 Thursday 8.02pm. Crazy Dog Audio Theatre's 'Beyond The Back of Beyond.'

It follows the adventure of 2 private eyes and the unexplained and creatures of Irish, Celtic and Urban legends.

On the 7 August is the Curse of the Golden Torc.
A famous archaeologist disaappears and our heroes must follow into the dimension of Celtic gods. God grief actual lowdown on programmes.  :D

You can catch the first 2 progs on the RTE radio 1 site.
On the same site are some more Tall Tales from last year. Not heard them yet.

Next Saturday on BBC 7 there is still Foundation.

Sunday at 6pm and midnight is Blake's 7, The Sevenfold Crown, it is was specially written for Radio 4. Followed by Fear on Four.

On Oneword. Tuesday 5th at 8am, 3pm and 2am will be the first part of A Study in Scarlet (6 parts every week day)The repeat of Tuesday's Zero Hour by Ray Bradbury is now on a Sunday at 8.30 pm.

The only thing on R4 vaguely connected  to horror is on Monday at 2.15pm on Radio 4. The Man Who Knew Everything, featuring Lewis a Lawyer who is involved in a mysterious poisining in The Balham Mystery.

Offline Wayne Mook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
More Radio Highlights.
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2003, 05:51:39 am »
Radio update bit of a long one too  :wink:

On the normal air waves we have

:arrow:  BBC Radio 4 (Don’t forget you can catch these on R4’s playback upto a week later  8) )  

Mon 11 Aug, 14:15-15:00  45mins

The Man Who Knew Everything, by Robin Brooks. The last of three sort of crime tales. I put this on because I like it.

Thu 14 Aug, 14:15-15:00 45 mins
The afternoon play Killing Maestros By Christopher William Hill

Wagner's Tristan Und Isolde is the "Scottish Play" of the Opera world - jinxed with mysterious deaths. Conductor Sergei Bodanov convinces himself that he too will suffer from the opera's curse, and tells his therapist that he has six weeks to cure him of this "evil" before the first performance. Sergei Bodanov is played by Bill Nighy.

:arrow:  RTE Radio 1 (Eire. And they too have a nice archive.)  

Thu 14 August 8.02pm
The Back of Beyond. Comedy with Irish myth. This weeks is Return of the Bogman Mummy.

On the new DAB thing there is

:arrow:  BBC Radio 7.  

Saturday 9 Aug.

2.30pm & 8.30pm
The Milligan Papers. From 1987 1st ep – The Incredible Case of the Vanisshing Flying Scotsman.

6 pm and Midnight
Foundation Trilogy (4 th of 8.)

Sunday 10 Aug.

8am and 9pm
Sherlock Holmes: The Valley of Fear. (1/2)  NB: Holmes appears on 7 and Oneword throughout the week.

6 pm and midnight
Blake 7. The Sevenfold crown(1/3)

6.30pm and 12.30am (Monday)
Fear on Four: Green And Pleasant: A rock star goes missing. She's active in environmental issues and yet owns a cosmetics company. Is this the key to the mystery?

Mon 11 to Friday 15 Aug.

9.15 am, 6.45 pm & 12.45 am
Picnic At Hanging Rock. On Valentine's Day 1900, schoolgirls set out to picnic at Australia's imposing Hanging Rock. Their lives change forever. Sadly I don’t know if Jenny A is in this. (1-5/10) Only 15 mins each episode.

6 pm & midnight.
Earthsearch. (6-10/10)

:arrow:  Oneword  

This Sunday is Ray Bradbury's Zero Hour. Next week's Vintage Radio on
Tuesday 12 Aug. 8.30 pm  (repeat Sunday 17 8.30pm) is The Pit and the Pendulum  Starring Vincent Price. It looks like they may be repeating their chiller. Watch out for Boris then.

Offline Wayne Mook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
Radio Radio.
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2003, 05:18:09 am »
Welcome to the radio up date obtained from various sites and the hard print of The Radio Times. Remember DAB stations carry Sherlock Holmes when you least expect it.

BBC Radio 4.

Sat. 16. Aug.
2.30 pm. The Saturday Play: Uma and the Fairy Queen. By Mahesh Dattani.  Actually it a murder thing set round a performance of A Midsummer’s Night Dream with Bangalore PI Uma Rao. Sounds top.

Weds. 20 Aug.
11 pm Ronan the Amphibian. New Mad Comedy with an ex-financial adviser and 1st Acquatised man in his under sea adventures featuring Twisty, the gay electric eel. (1/6.)

Thurs 21 Aug.

Beyond the Back of Beyond. This week at 8 pm, Strange Lights over Gort. (It’s actually in Galway and I bet that gave Michael Rennie a shock.)

BBC Radio 7.

Sat. 16. Aug.
As last week and still with Lines from My Grandfather’s Forehead (some of this stuff is just weird and scary).

Sun 17 Aug.
Same as last week. Fear on Four: The Monkey’s Revenge. (6.30/12.30 repeat)

Monday to Friday 18 – 22 Aug.
10 am repeat 1 am. The Moonstone. Lovely old Victorian melodrama. (1-5/6)
6 pm repeat midnight. The Destruction Factor. James Follett. Fast growing plants (genetic experi. jobs) have a sinister side effect. (1-5/6)

Starts Thursday
2 pm & 9 pm. Old Harry’s Game. Comedy, excess human depravity is causing overcrowding in hell, so Satan hires a new assistant demon. (1-2/6)

Oneword

Sat. 16. Aug.
7 pm Treasure Island. Repeat Sun 17 Aug. at 7 pm.

Sun 17 Aug.
8.30 pm The Pit and the Pendulum starring Vincent Price. I’m almost sure this is the Suspense version written by John Dickson Carr from Poe’s tale.

Tue 19 Aug.
8.30pm Conquerors Isle. This is re-run from earlier this year, from the old serial Escape.

Tue – Fri 19 – 22 Aug.
1.15 pm & 6.30 pm. Stonehenge. Reading of Bernard Cornwell’s fictional account of the making. (1 – 4/19) Omnibus ed’s at weekend.

Offline Wayne Mook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
More from the Bronze age of radio.
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2003, 08:22:22 am »
Ok children are you ready for your weekly dose of Radio? Then I’ll begin. Not realy our field but Mclevy is back on R4 on Tuesday, Brian Cox as a Victorian Detective.

BBC Radio 4

Saturday 23 Aug.

10.30 am. I Have A Cunning Plan: 20 years of Blackadder. (Do I feel old).
2.30 pm. The Amazing Maurice & His Educated Rodents. (T. Pratchett) Adventures of a grifting cat.

Wednesday. 27 Aug.

11 pm Ronan the Amphibian.(2/6)

RTE Radio 1.(Ireland’s national broadcaster)

8 pm. Beyond the Back of Beyond. Final episode, The Final Face of Dr. Fa?ade.

BBC Radio 7.

Saturday 23 Aug.

Same as last Saturday see last post.

Sunday 24 Aug.

Same as last Sunday see last post.

Monday 25 Aug.

10 am repeat 1 am The Moonstone (6/6).
6 pm repeat midnight. The Destruction Factor. (6/6)

Monday to Friday, 25 to 29 Aug.

9.15, repeats 6.45 pm & 12.45 am. The Crow Road. (1 – 5/10) Iain Banks (Radio Scotland read by Kenneth Glenaan.

Oneword

Sunday 24 Aug.

8.30. Escape: The Conqueror’s Isle.

Tuesday 26 Aug.

8.30. Inner Sanctum: The Wailing Wall, starring Boris Karloff. (One word are running through this stuff again. See previous posts.)

Note the Stonehenge stuff is still on at the same times. See last post.

Remember there are will be regular outbreaks of Sherlock Holmes through out the digital schedules.

Offline Wayne Mook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
Radio
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2003, 03:56:23 pm »
Hello radio listeners or as the case maybe simply curious,

On FM we have

BBC Radio 3

Saturday 30th August.

8.55 pm. The Wire: The Commuter. After 40 days of rain a man tries to travel home to Scotland through a lawless England.

Sunday 31st August.

9.45 pm Drama on 3: M. From the old Fritz Lang film. If you listen to one thing all week make it this.

BBC Radio 4.

Sunday 31st August.

2.55 pm. Dinosaurs With Wings. 1: Archaeopteryx.

Monday to Friday, 1st to 5th of September.

White Magic. 5 stand alone tales in modern Wales with a little magic.

Wednesday 3rd September.

11 pm. Ronan the Amphibian.

And the wonderful world of DAB we have crime galore featuring Sherlock Holmes, Boston Blackie and Easy Rawlings amongst many.

BBC Radio 7.

Saturday 30th August.

6 pm. Repeat midnight. Foundation (7/8.).

Sunday 31st August.

6 pm repeat midnight. The Red Planet (1/20.).
6.30 pm repeat 12.30 am. Fear on 4: The Edge.

Wed to Fri, 3rd to 5th September

The Midwich Cuckoos. (1-3/3.)

Oneword.

Sunday 31st August.

8.30 pm. Vintage Radio: The Wailing Wall starring Boris Karloff.

Tuesday 2nd September.

8.30 pm. Vintage Radio: Bloodbath starring Vincent Price.

Stephen Gallagher

Radio
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2003, 01:44:44 pm »
OK, I'm sold. Roberts Radios have a DAB model due out around now and I'm going to order one of those - I can get BBC7 on my integrated digital TV but that's no way to listen to radio.

Sounds like some of my old FEAR ON FOURs are getting an airing but I won't hold out much hope for my SATURDAY NIGHT THEATREs from the 80s -  one of the producers told me that the masters have been wiped.

Offline Wayne Mook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
Radio
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2003, 08:06:27 pm »
Mr. Gallagher what were the Saturday Night Theatre you did? There have been a slew of things on. They even found a cache of The Archers episodes from the 60's, not played but available on BBC audio sales. They keep having calls for old shows etc. I did not mention it but they played Flowers for Algernon recently. The listing are still weak.  :x

By the way BBC7 on DAB is only on mono because of the amount of bandwidth available. The new players like Roberts' Gemini 1 has the rewind facility - ie it uses memory cards like a digital camera. Due out soon. But you can get a player under ?100 now.

Offline Wayne Mook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
Radio
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2003, 02:02:30 am »
The Radio for the week ahead.

:arrow: Here is the terrestrial stuff.

BBC Radio 4.

Saturday 6th September.

2.30 pm Whistle Down the Wind.

Sunday 7th September.

3 pm Classic Serial: The Three Hostages. Sequel to The 39 Steps. (1/2).

Monday 8th September.

2.15 pm. Afternoon Play: Atlantis. A stranger creates turmoil in a seaside caravan site. Starring Philip Madoc.

Wednesday 10th September.

11 pm. Ronan the Amphibian. More undersea comedy.

BBC Radio 3.

Sunday 7th September.

10 pm. Wire: Regenerations. A group of friends meet for a Dr. Who convention but one turn out to be a traitor, when the Dr. arrives. Starring Tom Baker.

:arrow: Now on Digital radio we have the following: Remember both stations carry lots of detectives, esp. Sherlock and Oneword even has cowboys, really.

BBC Radio 7.

Saturday 6th September.

6 pm and repeated at midnight. Foundation. Final part.

Sunday 7th September.

6 pm and repeated at midnight. Journey into Space: the Red Planet. (2/20).
6.30 pm and repeated at 12.30 pm. Fear on Four. A Routine Operation. Starring Hannah Gordon.

Monday to Thursday 8th to 11th September.

10 am repeated at 1 am. Jamaica Inn. (1-4/4).

Monday to Tuesday 8th to 9th September.

6 pm and repeated at midnight. We can remember It For You Wholesale. (1 –2/2)

Wednesday 10th September.

6 pm and repeated at midnight. Of Withered Apples. An ancient tree will do anything to survive.

Thursday to Friday 11th to 12th September.

6 pm and repeated at midnight. Soldier by Harlan Ellison. A strange soldier shows up at a train station in 1964. (1 - 2/2).

Oneword.

Sunday 7th September.

8.30 pm. Vintage Radio: Escape: Bloodbath. Starring Vincent Price.

Tuesday  9th September.

8.30 pm. Vintage Radio: The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury.

Offline Wayne Mook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
Stuff Missed.
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2003, 02:34:47 pm »
I checked the listings and found this tucked away in a corner. If it had not been for BBC cult news I would have had no idea.  :wink:

Tonight on Radio 3 Star Trek: The Next Generation star Patrick Stewart reads HG Wells short story The Star.

In the tale astronomers discover a bright new star in the heavens rushing headlong towards the Earth on collision course.
"The star grew - it grew with a terrible steadiness hour after hour, a little larger each hour..."

The Star will be read by Stewart in the Twenty Minutes slot, tonight at 8.15pm on Radio 3.

Also tonight [radio 4 at 11pm] is Trapped. One of comedies about people trapped. Physically or emotionally. Tonights is about people going skiing.
Having just read next weeks blurb it looks so much better. Stand-up Tradedy: 6 comedians try to out do each other backstage. Until beteran Bill pulls a gun and tells them to have a serious conversation. Will they manage it?

:?: By the way should I mention things like The Hound of Heaven? Thurs 11 Sept on R4. Francis Thompson who wrote said poem, about God as a relentless pursuer, and this covers his life. Failed cleric, medical student, opium user, down-and-out in Victorian London. He was even saved by a kindly prostitute. Includes imaginary dialogue with the present researcher and poet and reading of his work.