Author Topic: Robert Mammone  (Read 6600 times)

Offline Robert Mammone

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Robert Mammone
« on: April 02, 2010, 09:33:52 AM »
Thanks to Stephen Theaker to giving this low level hack the okay to put myself out there, as it were, on this fine forum.

It's a fair bet to say that, in writing terms, no one knows who I am (except for that very nice fellow, Stephen Bacon, who suggested I add myself to the roster here).   I've dabbled for years (getting my first professional sale with a short story in Doctor Who Magazine #214, way back in 1992, from memory).  Since then, I've fiddled and faddled and done next to nothing, only deciding last year that I should give writing short horror fiction a go.  A list of story credits and links follows, so apologies for the blatant self advertisement.

Won 25 quid in one of Spinetinglers' competitions, which was nice:  http://spinetinglers.co.uk/ReadStory352.aspx

A couple of stories at Fantastic Horror, one of which was:  http://www.fantastichorror.com/14/mammone-inthecitythejungle.html

The most pleasing aspect was getting a gig at Pseudopod - make your ears bleed here:  http://pseudopod.org/2009/10/23/pseudopod-165-the-copse/

And finally, a cover story with a POD publisher:  http://blackmatrixpublishingllc.blogspot.com/2010/03/encounters-2-heading-to-printer.html

I'll also have a short story, The Devil at Your Heels, published in the next Filthy Creations magazine.

And of course, the obligatory blog, (for goodness sake!) - http://robertmammone.wordpress.com/

Now, if that woman who bought my 1st edition hardcover of Tim Powers The Anubis Gates would actually pay me, I'll be just about able to buy a BFS membership!

Offline simonbestwick

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Mammone
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 09:53:33 AM »
Hi Robert!  Welcome to the forum.

Offline Robert Mammone

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 10:48:44 AM »
Hi Robert!  Welcome to the forum.

Thanks Simon!  Bought Ellen Datlow's Year's Best Horror 1 just to read The Narrows and it exceeded my expectations.  Will be looking to buy your collection, Pictures of the Dark, next pay day.

Offline allybird

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • Allyson Bird website
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 05:04:20 PM »
Hello to our little place. You are very welcome :)

What! Pay him whoever you are...we need more members of the BFS!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 05:07:26 PM by allybird »

Offline Stephen Bacon

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • www.stephenbacon.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 08:54:43 PM »
Welcome, Robert. Nice to see you here.

Offline Robert Mammone

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 12:21:20 PM »
Welcome, Robert. Nice to see you here.

Thanks Stephen.  Such a friendly forum. 

I think the best thing about getting into writing in the last year is all the great writers and stories I've come across.

Offline Natt

• BFS Reviewers
  • Warrior
    • View Profile
    • In The Gloaming Podcasts
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 01:38:46 PM »
Hi, Robert, good to see you here!

Natt

Offline Robert Mammone

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 02:00:19 PM »
Hi, Robert, good to see you here!

Natt

Hi Natt - been loving listening to the In the Gloaming Podcasts - a lot of talented people doing good work.

Offline Robert Mammone

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 11:46:04 AM »
Happy to report that after having a couple of other stories rejected, I've had one accepted here:  http://www.talesofworldwarz.com/stories/2010/04/20/in-at-the-beginning-by-robert-mammone/

Feel free to leave feedback on the site whatever you thought of the story itself.    There's a cash prize for the most liked story in the current reading period, so if you'd like to keep me rolling in caviar, vote, vote vote!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 03:22:35 PM by Robert Mammone »

Offline Robert Mammone

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 12:08:12 PM »
Along with a few other members here, who I'm sure will also be updating their thread/blog etc etc, I can happily announce that Filthy Creations 6, which contains my story, The Devil at Your Heels, is now out.

All the ordering details etc are here:

http://filthycreations.yolasite.com/fc6.php

David Riley further up this page has the cover image and contributor list.

Offline Robert Mammone

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 01:21:33 AM »
Very happy at last to be able to say I've a story in the BFS Winter 2010 Journal.  The cover looks fantastic!

Offline Stephen Bacon

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • www.stephenbacon.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2010, 11:47:21 PM »
Congrats, Robert. Looking forward to reading it.

Offline Robert Mammone

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2010, 01:42:10 AM »
Congrats, Robert. Looking forward to reading it.

Thanks Stephen, much appreciated.  I hope people get as much entertainment from it as I did writing it.

Offline Robert Mammone

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2010, 12:25:57 PM »
I think sometimes we spend a little too much time promoting ourselves.  So, in the spirit of giving, I'd like to thank a few people.

First and foremost, young master Stephen Bacon, whose advice and support during the year has been invaluable.  A talent on the rise, Stephen is all round decent guy and a great writer.

Simon Bestwick doesn't know me from a bar of soap, but I do know that his story, The Narrows, is the finest short horror story I've read this year and a real inspiration to me.  It reads like a descent into an unwakeable nightmare and beautifully blends horror and psychological collapse.  Brilliant.

Finally, to all the editors who've accepted my work for their publications, whether that be Leigh Blackmore for Midnight Echo, or Jason Waltz at Rogue Blades Entertainment, or Sam in accepting The Well for the BFS Winter Journal - thanks for the faith in my writing.  

It's been an extremely rewarding year, so Merry Christmas to you all and all the best for 2011.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 12:28:05 PM by Robert Mammone »

Offline Robert Mammone

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2011, 12:38:33 AM »
My story, The Well, is now out via the 2010 Winter Journal.  I'd like to hear what people think, but given the shitstorm brewing in the BFS Journal thread below, I'm thinking general comments about the publication there will get lost for the next week or so.  So post your thoughts, good/bad/indifferent, here.

Also, I have a story coming out with Pseudopod much later in the year, which is a real thrill.