Author Topic: Robert Mammone  (Read 6587 times)

Offline Robert Mammone

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Mammone
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2011, 01:07:46 AM »
At last, with the ink dry on the contract, I can now say that my story, Blood Fire, will see publication in a new sword and sorcery anthology, Assassins, coming in late 2011 from Rogue Blades Entertainment.

The list of authors and the stories are:

* Erin M. Hartshorn ~ “Snake in the Grass”
* Ramon Rozas III ~ “Three Rules to Live By”
* Dayle A. Dermatis ~ “The Sultan’s Sons”
* Seth Skorkowsky ~ “The Blossom of Eternity”
* C. L. Werner ~ “A Blade for the Dead”
* Steve Goble ~ “Otrossius and the 13 Assassins”
* Carl Walmsley ~ “Homecoming”
* Robert E. Waters ~ “The People’s Avenger”
* Josh Brown ~ “Goldenbee’s Savior”
* Jonathan Moeller ~ “Artists”
* John R. Fultz ~ “A Fool in the Court of the Idiot-King”
* Bill Ward ~ “Shadow of the Demonspawn Emperor”
* Phil Emery ~ “Endgame Assassins”
* Alter S. Reiss ~ “Difficulties of the Eight Quarters”
* Bruce Durham ~ “Dark Assassin”
* Wil Dan Collins ~ “Citadel of Screaming Spires”
* Robert Mammone ~ “Blood Fire”
* Christine Lucas ~ “The Last Dues Owed”
* Craig Comer ~ “The Blood of Khalid Al’Tahir”
* J.M. Martin ~ “Blind Ambition”
* Christopher Heath ~ “Azieran: A Penance, of Sorts

Rapt to have a sword and sorcery story out there!

Offline Robert Mammone

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2011, 02:14:06 AM »
More horn blowing.

The journal of the Australian Horror Writers Association, Midnight Echo #5, will be released in the next week or two.  And I'm in it, which is a real thrill, as it is my first credit in an Australian publication and only my fifth publication in printed form.  I'll have a copy of the cover when it is available.

The link to the site (which hasn't been updated as of today) is:  http://www.australianhorror.com/index.php?view=6

Offline Robert Mammone

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2011, 09:21:13 AM »
More horn blowing.

The journal of the Australian Horror Writers Association, Midnight Echo #5, will be released in the next week or two.  And I'm in it, which is a real thrill, as it is my first credit in an Australian publication and only my fifth publication in printed form.  I'll have a copy of the cover when it is available.

The link to the site (which hasn't been updated as of today) is:  http://www.australianhorror.com/index.php?view=6
Oh, and here's the press release - given this is there 5th issue, but first print release, I think they're excited!

Australian Horror Writers Association

www.australianhorror.com

MEDIA RELEASE

NO EMBARGO.

MIDNIGHT ECHO # 5 RELEASED

The fifth edition of the Australian Horror Writers Association’s fiction and poetry magazine, Midnight Echo, showcases the diversity of horror and should cement the publication’s reputation as a genre leader, according to editor and new AHWA president Leigh Blackmore.

Leigh Blackmore, widely-published author, poet and anthology editor has revealed details about his edition, which was released for sale today and offered a glimpse of its promising future.

“There is no overall theme for the issue – the stories range over a wide gamut of horror themes and approaches,” Leigh said.

“For issue five  I concentrated on stories of psychological and supernatural horror, a bit of Cthulhu Mythos, some post-apocalyptic scenarios and anything that was well written enough to rivet my attention as a reader who has been absorbing horror for well over 45 years. As to standouts, that will vary with individual reader’s tastes, so I won’t try and sway them.”

“I wanted to build on what has come before (in previous issues), in terms of presentinga range of quality writing in the genre. That said, I applied some of my own preferences to selecting the stories, although I endeavoured to be even-handed about presenting stories ranging from the supernatural to the visceral.

“Horror is in many ways such a diverse genre that I wanted issue five to represent this diversity.”

Readers will notice an abundance of darkly delicious poems in issue five as well.
    “In the shake-up due to space limitations there are now a few less of each genre, but it was deliberate on my part to include numerous weird and darkly fantastic poems as well as stories,” Leigh said.

“As a horror poet myself, who also writes stories, I’m aware of the fantastic talent poetry out there, and think the AHWA should be supporting this often-overlooked aspect of the genre.
    “We also have a graphic story in the issue which helps us support our claim that we promote horror in all media and manifestations.”

Leigh received 150 submissions from authors across the globe for issue five and while he couldn’t publish all of them, he was overwhelmed by the plethora of talented scribes coming out of the shadows.

“The talent out there is very promising. Lots of new and emerging writers who still need to hone their craft, but many writers who are publishing widely and producing material that expands the genre’s boundaries in terms of quality and entertainment value,” Leigh said.

The first edition of Midnight Echo was released in October 2008 and Leigh believes the publication has well and truly earned its place among the world’s best speculative fiction magazines.

“The magazine is definitely cementing its reputation, which I believe is in large part due to the high benchmark set by the magazines founders and early editors,” he said.

“There are also some big changes afoot for Midnight Echo. With issue five we are bringing printing onshore to Australia, which will enable better quality printing and distribution in this country.

“We also have some new distribution and promotional ideas which should improve our visibility – so watch this space for announcements!

“Putting out two issues a year is a realistic goal for us at present. Everyone donates their labour out of love of the genre, and I have to say that without the fantastic art team we have, and their many hours of toil, the Echo would not be nearly as attractive and well-packaged as it is.” 
    “When Midnight Echo becomes more financially viable, we might look at producing more than two issues per year, but that is still some way off.”

But as President, Leigh wanted to assure readers and AHWA members that the Echo still had plenty of room to grow.

“We are going to do some bookstore and newsagent testing on sales. I hope to push the magazine more at local conventions, and make it available in other venues, as well as continuing to run our online shop and have international copies available via lulu.com to save on international postage.
    “Midnight Echo is an important voice for new horror in Australia, and I believe the AHWA has the vision and commitment to seeing it continue for quite some time.

“It’s great that members of the Association can download copies of the PDF version absolutely free, and I hope that alone may encourage some people interested in horror to join the AHWA.

Midnight Echo #5 is on sale now at AU$S3.50 for PDF and AUS$11 (+$3 postage) for a printed copy. Log on to http://midnightecho.australianhorror.com now to purchase your copy.
    AHWA members receive a free PDF of the Echo or a print copy at a discounted price of $10 plus postage.
    Review copies (PDF only) can be obtained by contacting AHWA president Leigh Blackmore at lynvox@gmail.com

About the Australian Horror Writers Association
The Australian Horror Writers Association (AHWA) is the peak professional body for Australian authors of dark fiction (horror, dark fantasy, and paranormal fiction) and has 300 members. The AHWA was founded in 2003, and since its incorporation in 2005, the Association has implemented an annual short story competition, a mentorship programme, online writers forums, news and article archives, the fiction magazine Midnight Echo, and The Australian Shadows Award. For further information on the AHWA, visit www.australianhorror.com

Available for comment/interview:

Offline Robert Mammone

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2011, 11:20:54 AM »
Two small items of interest.

I had a short story in Midnight Echo #5 - cover and ordering info here:

http://www.shop.australianhorror.com/Midnight-Echo-5_c12.htm

Lots of great Antipodean writers included.

And a short story will appear in an antho from Pill Hill Press - the gorgeous cover is here:

http://gregsmallwood.deviantart.com/art/Lovecraft-Noir-209420490

Offline Robert Mammone

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2011, 09:18:37 AM »
And while I'm in this echo chamber, just a note to say that my story, Widdershins, is tentatively scheduled for release from Pseudopod.org as an audio download on December 23rd.

Offline Degsy

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2011, 12:30:45 AM »
Excellent news.

'Widdershins' is a piece of real 'old-skool' nastiness and I'm looking forward to the audio version!

Degsy

Offline Robert Mammone

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2011, 03:30:50 AM »
Excellent news.

'Widdershins' is a piece of real 'old-skool' nastiness and I'm looking forward to the audio version!

Degsy

You've a copy of Midnight Echo 5?  Great little magazine!  Thanks for the nice comment about it.

In other news, my short story, Shivers (admittedly a terrible title that started as a stopgap title then I couldn't come up with anything better) is now out in the Big Book of New Short Horror from Pill Hill Press.  An e-version is available here:  http://www.amazon.com/Big-Book-Short-Horror-ebook/dp/B005NS596Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316744683&sr=8-1

Offline Robert Mammone

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2011, 06:04:58 AM »
After a year in which there have been more rejections than acceptances, its nice to end on the following positive note.

Available now as an audio reading downloadable from Pseudopod.org is a reading of my short story, first published in Midnight Echo, of Widdershins.

http://pseudopod.org/2011/12/23/pseudopod-261-widdershins/

Something to keep you up over Christmas!

Offline Robert Mammone

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2012, 03:16:45 AM »
Bit quiet recently but here goes:

Acceptance in the Darker Minds anthology from Dark Minds Press - very pleased with this.

http://darkmindspress.com/

Also, an acceptance in an Australian anthology, After the World, from Black House Comis. 

http://blackhousecomics.com/

Should be available later this year in newsagents across Australia.

Offline Robert Mammone

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2012, 01:11:03 AM »
Darker Minds from Dark Minds Press is at the printers:

Dark Minds Press is pleased to announce the publication of their second anthology of dark fiction. Darker Minds features stunning cover art from Ben Baldwin, interior art from Will Jacques and fifteen stories of dark, psychological horror from some of the best writers in the genre.

The stories have been selected and edited by Ross Warren and Anthony Watson and include original works from Gary McMahon, Simon Bestwick, Stephen Bacon, Ray Cluley and Daniel Kaysen.

Darker Minds will be available as a limited edition paperback which can be purchased at http://www.darkmindspress.com/page2.htm

Offline Robert Mammone

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2013, 01:56:30 PM »
I've a story in the upcoming issue 7 of Filthy Creations. Check out my blog entry.

http://robertmammone.wordpress.com/2013/06/30/filthy-creations-7-out-now/

Also, Ill at Ease 2, for which I have a story in, is being released August 1. Here's a short trailer for it (spread the word by spreading the link, if you don't mind!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ect1RRg_YAI

Offline Robert Mammone

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2016, 01:26:51 PM »
Some very exciting news.  Candy Jar Books publish a very strong range of novels and short stories based on the characters surrounding Alistair Gordon Lethbridge Stewart, one of the fan favourites of the Doctor Who tv series.

Recently, the editor of the line accepted a story line proposal I made to him.  That story, Eve of the Fomorians, will see publication in time for Halloween.  Press release is as follows:

Candy Jar Books have announced their latest e-book in the Lethbridge-Stewart range for Halloween, free to anybody pre-ordering the next main book in the range, Times Squared:
Lethbridge-Stewart: Eve of the Fomorians (Credit: Candy Jar Books)
Eve of the Fomorians
Written by Robert Mammone
Cover by Paul Cooke

All Hallows’ Eve, 1969. En route back to Edinburgh, Anne Travers, William Bishop and Samson Ware come across a deserted village in the Scottish countryside. A village that is rotten to the core.

Range Editor Andy Frankham-Allen, says:
I was already familiar with Rob’s work, so when he emailed us out of the blue asking if we would consider him for our Short Story Incentive scheme, I was very willing to give him a shot. And he just happened to enquire as we were about to seek out a story for Halloween.

Robert Mammone says:
Once I knew it was going to be set around Halloween, I knew I wanted to do a Quatermass inspired story, with definite horrific elements, sourced back to a scientific explanation/basis.

Shaun Russell, head of publishing at Candy Jar, says:
There is something very John Wyndham about the story, which I know Andy especially appreciates, as do a lot of our readers.

This story is set shortly after Times Squared: Andy says:
Although you can easily read it without having read Times Squared, as it features Anne, Bishop and Samson who are not in that novel. Although it references Times Squared, it does so in a way that will not spoil that novel one bit. It also has a nice callback to the first novel of this year, Moon Blink. All that said, it is very deliberately written to be read on its own, with your feet up, candles lit and the rain lashing against the window.

Times Squared can be pre-ordered from the Candy Jar website.

The limited edition print-collection The HAVOC Files is now available to read on Kindle.

So, if you pre-order Time Squared, the next book in the range, you get my 10,000 word story as a freebie.  That’s a bargain, folks!

As I said before, really pleased to be given a chance to write for this range.  Those of us who gloried in the return of The Web of Fear just over three years ago, were pleased that the high praise that missing story had over the years was justified.  The characters and events in that serial form the basis for the Lethbridge Stewart range and form the basis of my short story.

It’s horror themed, which is apt given its being released in time for Halloween.  IAnything more and I’ll spoil it, but I am very proud of it.

Many thanks to Candy Jar for publishing it.  Thanks to Paul Cooke for his splendidly spooky cover and special thanks to range editor Andy Frankham-Allen for his great work in improving the story.  Thanks, guys!