Author Topic: David A. Riley  (Read 39057 times)

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
Re: David A. Riley
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2010, 10:14:52 PM »
Thanks, Ally. It's quite a list, isn't it?  Not quite sure how I sneaked onto it!

David

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2010, 07:00:41 AM »
I don't think many people know about it - I've rarely mentioned it myself - but I do have a fantasy novel available as an e-book. It's called Gobliin Mire and is available from several sources including Amazon and Barnes & Noble: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Goblin-Mire/David-A-Riley/e/2940000109953.

There are more details about it on my blog: http://davidandrewriley.blogspot.com/p/novel-goblin-mire.html

David

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2010, 08:40:55 AM »
It's quite a while now since Renaissance e-books "published" my fantasy novel Goblin Mire and so far it has earned zilch. Whether this is because it's a crap novel or because it has never been promoted enough, I don't know. It is available quite widely, including on Amazon and Barnes & Noble, and on Renaissance e-books' own site, but without much success.

This makes me wonder whether e-books are any kind of answer, certainly without the backup of a printed version as well.

Or is it simply because I have been too lazy in promoting the book and have left it all to the publisher?

David

DFL

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2010, 08:45:37 AM »
David,
From my experience, I don't think anyone reads fiction outside of a real book and never will do so. Do you? I don't.

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2010, 08:54:59 AM »
Like you, Des, I've never read an e-book in my life and I very much doubt if I ever shall. But recently I did hear from a couple of people who regularly download books onto devices like Kindle. One kind soul even downloaded a copy of Goblin Mire - so I've had at least one sale in the last few weeks!

This was a bit of an experiment. I learned about Renaissance E-Books from a friend, Janre Frank, who then had had quite a few books published by them. And since the owner of Renaissance E-Books expressed an interest in publishing Goblin Mire - and no one else was - what was there to lose? Except there hasn't seemed to have been much to gain either.  ???

David

Offline Shaun Jeffrey

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shaunjeffrey.com
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2010, 10:44:33 AM »
I've had a number of people ask about a Kindle version of my books, and there have been sales of the PDF version of both of the Leucrota ones, so people do buy them, but not as much as the printed versions.
The Kult

People are predictable. That's what makes them easy to kill.

Offline Craig Herbertson

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • craigherbertson.com
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2010, 03:23:28 PM »
I've never read an e-book in my life but a couple of people bought mine from Immanion Press's site smashwords.com. I wonder if its an age thing. I still struggle with a  mobile phone...

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2010, 03:28:42 PM »
I still struggle with a  mobile phone...

Mine's always dying because I forget to recharge it. On the other hand, I don't use it that much either. So you're probably right, Craig. It could be an age thing.  :-\

David

DFL

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2010, 03:34:10 PM »
I think the only way you can judge this is whether anyone admits to regularly buying and reading fiction on some sort of electronic device. If you do, please report here. (Sorry, David. I'm not trying to take over your thread. But it is interesting, I hope you agree).

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2010, 10:26:24 PM »

I think the only way you can judge this is whether anyone admits to regularly buying and reading fiction on some sort of electronic device. If you do, please report here. (Sorry, David. I'm not trying to take over your thread. But it is interesting, I hope you agree).

To get a proper idea I suppose it would be better to set up a thread somewhere dedicated to it. But I agree with you, Des, it would be interesting to find out just how many or, perhaps, what kind of a percentage of people make use of electronic reading devices.

David

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2010, 08:54:55 AM »
A year ago Amazon said that where books were available in paper and Kindle format, the Kindle format was accounting for 35% of sales.

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2010, 09:02:09 AM »
That's an interesting bit of information, Stephen, especially since Amazon is either already the biggest or one of the biggest internet booksellers in the world.

Of course, at the end of the day, the publisher's name is going to have an impact on overall sales - and the amount of time spent on promoting a book, both by the publisher and author.

I get the impression these days authors have got to take a much more proactive role in promotion than may have been the case some years ago. I was speaking to an editor from a major publisher at the Stoker Banquet in Brighton and she stressed how important it is now for an author to get their name across on the net, through blogs, twitter, etc.

David

DFL

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2010, 09:02:48 AM »
That''s interesting, Stephen. I wonder if those people bought any more kindles a year later or was it a case of trying out a novelty?

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2010, 11:57:29 AM »
That was 18 months after the Kindle's release, Des. Christmas Day was when you really saw the novelty effect, when Kindle format sales on Amazon actually overtook paper sales for a day.

DFL

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2010, 12:02:52 PM »
It is still a novelty idea with most of the public, I guess.