Author Topic: contentious issue  (Read 3063 times)

Offline geoff widders

• Initiate
    • View Profile
contentious issue
« on: May 04, 2010, 03:03:23 PM »
I don't wish to misuse the BFS's Forum but I do think that the members of the society should be aware of a contentious issue regarding one of its 'Guests of Honour' - I have depicted the matter in full on my website 'hewasanutter.com.' I would appreciate the opinion of anybody who takes a look.

thanks
Geoff Widders

Offline Jim Steel

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Panglossian Hubris
Re: contentious issue
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 04:40:26 PM »
Muriel Gray's novel was published in January 2000, not in 2001 as stated as stated in Geoff's website. In my opinion a rejection letter from nine months later for a book with a different title does not prove his allegations.

Offline Degsy

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 07:17:39 PM »
I really don't see the point of your action.

People publish similar storylines all the time in fantasy fiction. There's never any suggestion of plagiarism just a lack of original thinking on both sides.

As far as I can see, neither you or your work were ever explicitly named by Ms Gray at Fantasycon - perhaps you need to grow a thicker skin.

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Publisher, The Alchemy Press
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Peter Coleborn / Alchemy Press
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 07:39:39 PM »
I have no view on this and thus I've only skip-read your website but I didn't see proof that your book completed in 1998 -- simply that it was rejected in 2000. Gray's book was published in 2000 or 1. It takes time to write a novel and it seems to me that you were both writing your books at the same time and came up (apparently -- not read either title) with a similar story. These things happen all the time -- sort of Darwinian writing.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 07:50:55 PM »
Geoff, if you wanted to show you're not a nutter, you're going absolutely the wrong way about it.

Given that Geoff is clearly a litigious sort of fellow, I'm going to lock this thread before anyone says anything to land us all in court with him.  ;)