Author Topic: BookCrossing  (Read 3896 times)

Offline LouM

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Lou Morgan
BookCrossing
« on: August 20, 2010, 08:06:26 am »
A quick thought: do any BFS members do BookCrossing?

For anyone unfamiliar with it, it's the concept of releasing books "into the wild": leaving it on a train, for example, for someone else to find. That in itself isn't exactly a new idea - I'm sure lots of people here have done that - but the BookCrossing site makes it a bit more interesting. If you register the book on the site, you get a unique ID code for it, which you write inside the book along with a message. The person who finds the book can then go to the website and enter the code for the book, saying it's been found - and when they've read it, they release it... and so on.

It's become a bit of a game, too: you can turn it into a treasure hunt by announcing the release of a book, either giving a specific site: "the reception desk of the Britannia Hotel" or hiding it in a larger area - for example "in the Britannia Hotel", "on Brighton Pier".

It can be quite fun, as once a book has an ID it can be tracked indefinitely (as long as everyone who finds it logs it on the site) and it's surprising how far they can go.

I wondered whether anyone might be interested if we were to set up a BFS Bookcrossing account for members to use? It's an interesting way of clearing out books... with Fantasycon coming up, we could even have a bookcrossing event running through the weekend, as it's a good opportunity to essentially do some swapsies.

If you think it's a rubbish idea - not to worry! Just thought I'd put it out there in case.  :D

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
Re: BookCrossing
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 06:58:40 am »
Sounds like an excellent idea - at FantasyCon there's usually a desk full of free stuff - the ideal place to leave BookCrossing books. And we could have a similar table at each Open Night.

Offline Di Lewis

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 12:04:32 pm »
Or a place in the small bar near Area 51 where there'll be someone around to answer any questions?

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 06:35:40 am »
Good idea - free books would be a good conversation starter!

Offline LouM

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Lou Morgan
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 07:55:04 am »
I'll see if I can set up a BFS Bookcrossing account, so anyone who wants to do it without fiddling around setting up their own can do so.

Offline LouM

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Lou Morgan
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 08:19:36 am »
We now have a BFS BookCrossing account available for members.  :)

If you want to register your books on the site then give me a shout and I'll send you the login details.

Fantasycon is a great opportunity to release a few books "into the wild" (and clear a bit of bookshelf space to make room for everything you'll be taking home from Nottingham...) and find them a new home with someone who'll love them just as much as you have. Just bring a couple along and drop them off when you get to Fantasycon.

Please do take the time to register any books you're thinking of bringing - it doesn't take long. Each book will be assigned a BookCrossing code (a BCID) which you then write (or put on a post-it, depending on how you feel about writing in books!) inside. This means you can track the book's travels on the BookCrossing site - and some have been known to go all around the world.

Likewise, if you pick up any books that have been registered and have a BCID inside, please go to the site and mark them as found - it only takes a minute or two, and again, you can use the BFS account if you don't have one of your own.

If everyone coming to Fantasycon registers and brings just one or two books, we could have a tremendous BookCross swap-type thing.  :)

Offline Screaming Dreams

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Screaming Dreams
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 02:59:08 pm »
A great idea!

I've registered 10 SD titles with Bookcrossing and will bring them along to "release in the wild" at FCon. I hope other publishers will do the same with their titles.

Offline LouM

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Lou Morgan
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 10:05:40 am »
Great to hear it, Steve!

There's quite a lot of general interest in this, so hopefully we'll have a good collection of books in circulation.

Just a gentle reminder that we'd love as many people as possible to get involved, so if you're coming, please do dig out a book to bring - the more the merrier.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 05:45:00 pm »
Just don't bring the books from last year's goodie bags...!

Offline LouM

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Lou Morgan
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 08:57:36 am »
Thank you to everyone who brought books to the Bookcrossing - sorry it wasn't as well-signed as we'd planned, but that's something we'll bear in mind for next time.

It was great to see the box filling up then emptying and filling up again, and so many people finding books they wanted to read: let's have even more of you taking part next year :)