Author Topic: BFS Short Story Competition 2010  (Read 2229 times)

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
BFS Short Story Competition 2010
« on: May 24, 2010, 08:38:44 am »
Surprised I hadn't started a thread about this already, but never mind - it doesn't seem to have hurt the competition!

There is now one week to get your entries in. Entries must be received before June 1st, i.e. right up to midnight on May 31.

Top prize is £100, plus a year's free membership, and publication in either Dark Horizons or New Horizons. Full rules, prizes and details here.

If you haven't entered the competition, but you're a BFS member and you'd be interested in joining our initial reading panel, do get in touch.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
Re: BFS Short Story Competition 2010
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 05:43:07 pm »
Thanks to everyone who entered. For the second year running there's been a gigantic increase in entries. I'll now recruit some members to read them, and we'll let everyone know if they've reached the second round in September.

The winners will be announced, all going well, at the British Fantasy Awards at FantasyCon. But hopefully not by me, given the hash I made of it last time!

Offline Jen

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jennybarber.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 06:10:43 pm »
Nah, you did fine!   :-*

Offline LouM

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Lou Morgan
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 03:32:00 pm »
.... and you did fine this year, too.

Look: here's the proof!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsfQNe40JbE

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 08:25:03 pm »
You're both too kind! I felt considerably less anxious this time, and actually enjoyed it. At this rate of improval I'll soon be giving it the full Guy Adams.  :D

But enough about the administrator, here are the winners:

The winners of the BFS Short Story Competition 2010 were announced at the beginning of the British Fantasy Awards ceremony on Saturday, September 18.

The winning story was “Omar the Teller of Tales” by Robin Tompkins. Robin wins £100 and a year's membership of the BFS, and the story will appear in either Dark Horizons or New Horizons.

The runner-up was "The Song" by Travis Heermann. Travis wins £50 and a year's membership of the BFS, and the story will appear in either Dark Horizons or New Horizons.

Third place went to “Beating Heart” by Dan Malach. Dan wins £20, so if he finds another £10 he could buy a year's membership of the BFS!

Congratulations to them! And thanks to everyone who entered the competition this year. The competition will begin again on 1 January 2011.