Author Topic: A Call for Submissions  (Read 4907 times)

Offline Siderealpress

• Initiate
    • View Profile
A Call for Submissions
« on: June 08, 2010, 10:10:43 pm »
    Greetings one and all!

Side Real Press are pleased to announce that they are currently taking submissions for an, as yet untitled, volume intended as a tribute to the life, work and themes of Hanns Heinz Ewers (1888-1943).

Ewers was one of the major German writers of his day, writing novels, poems, plays and screenplays for early cinema, His works are steeped in blood, deviance and occultism.

His real life was  no less interesting; a bi-sexual, an incessant traveller, a German spy during WW1, drug (ab)user and friend of figures such as diverse Aleister Crowley, Magnus Hirshfeld, Karl Wegener and Adolf Hitler.

Hitler himself supposedly asked him to write the official biography of Horst Wessel which he did, but was subsequently declared an unperson by the Nazis when they realized he was nationalistic rather than Nazi,  and a strong philo rather than an anti-semite.  The content of his work also caused concern because of its decadent nature, resulting in them being banned and burnt. He died in Berlin of tuberculosis largely forgotten.

For people unfamiliar with Ewers, a number of links are given from the Side Real Press website: http://www.siderealpress.co.uk/ . These give an extennsive overview of his life, and include extracts from some of his writings to allow potential contributers to get a 'feel' for him.

Those wishing to submit works for possible inclusion, the criteria are as follows. Works should relate in some way to Ewers (this will be interpreted loosely!), be written in English and should be previously unpublished. Stories (no poetry please) can be any length. The deadline for submissions is October 31st 2010.

A payment of 1 penny per word up to 10,000 words (and capped at 100) will be made, plus two free copies of the finished book, which will be a high quality h/b in a limited edition of 350 copies. It is scheduled for release in December 2010.

Any further questions or indeed submissions can be emailed direct to the Press at Siderealpress@hotmail.com.

I would be extremely grateful for this posting to be forwarded to anyone readers may think might be interested in it.

Thank you!
John N. Smith

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
Re: A Call for Submissions
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 10:32:23 pm »
The two volumes Side Real have so far brought out of Ewer's works, including the novel Alraune, which I bought at the World Horror Convention, are magnificent books. Absolutely beautiful. I look forward to this collection when it's eventually published.

Offline Thana Niveau

• We who walk here walk alone
  • Initiate
  • re-animated
    • View Profile
    • thananiveau.com
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 07:07:43 am »
I was introduced to this decadent man last year (well, his writing anyway). "The Spider" is a cracker of a story and Alraune is gorgeously perverse. The Side Real volumes are exquisite - unlike anything else on the shelves here at Probert Towers. I'll definitely be submitting something!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 07:21:58 am by Thana Niveau »
It's funny... the world is so different in the daylight. In the dark, your fantasies get so out of hand.
But in the daylight everything falls back into place.

Offline Craig Herbertson

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • craigherbertson.com
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 07:34:45 am »
An unusual man. I'm glad to see he's getting the attention he deserves

Offline Degsy

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 07:08:07 pm »
Uneasy about all this.

Ewers was, after all, a fully paid-up Nazi and a fulsome propagandist for the Freikorps and SA when the facist nature of these organisations was apparent to even the most apolitical observers.

Apologists may try to spin his Nazism as 'Nationalistic' - but this was a time when people needed to stand up and be counted for what was right and he chose poorly.

You may argue that you should always separate an artist's work from his biography (take Lovecraft's antisemitism for instance) and I'm not a Anti-Nazi-League tub-thumper by any means, but in my opinion some judgement calls put you beyond rehabilitation.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 01:30:19 pm by Degsy »

Offline Craig Herbertson

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • craigherbertson.com
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 01:00:15 am »
I understand the point and hastily add that I am not a Nazi. I don't like seeing even my words quoted and linked with the sentences that followed.  I sense a dangerous debate ahead too. It's two in the morning so I'll just add authors that might have to be crossed off the reading list

Orwell: Deeply regretted his involvement in the Spanish Civil war and his implicit support of the communist regimes that followed.
Edgar Rice Burroughs: A jingoistic madman in World war one and two who also deeply regretted the propaganda line he had swallowed whole.
Wodehouse Perhaps: wasn't there an implication somewhere?
E.R. Eddison: Nietzschian arrogance; trample on the weak they are only part of tapestry fro the great. Tolkien thought his writing became increasingly inhuman.
C.S. Lewis: Christian whose Screwtape Letters are full of typically christian logical holes, whose Narnian tales are crammed full of nasty immoral devils, mostly women,  but was once an atheist.
P.K Dick. Lived with terrorists I believe for a time.Probably had a few thoughts about that

Forgive me if I am not entirely accurate about these authors as it is late and I am responding rather quickly.
If one goes back a bit further we could take almost any Greek or Roman author on war who would make very disturbing reading. Herodotus states something to the effect that 'we are stronger than the enemy so its our right to do whatever we wish with them.' That included massacring them.

The point I am making is that there are numerous authors who have dodgy politics, who change their mind, who make bad decisions and indeed who one may dislike intensely. (For example I hate Waugh but I love his novels.) I'd hate to feel I couldn't read an author because of his politics. In Ewers case he is an unusual and interesting writer. perhaps I shouldn't have used 'man' in the sentence quoted.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 05:56:44 am »
With regard to PKD, who are the terrorists you mean? I think he lived close to the Black Panthers at one point, but you couldn't really class them as terrorists (and I think he was terrified of them, rather than chummy). Or do you mean something like the Weather Underground?

Lawrence Dagstine

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 06:41:18 am »
On terrorists...

You should see what I had yesterday over a science fiction story in the Muslim community called: "You Build Them, We'll Destroy Them."  About a boy in Yemen who, in the 90's could see the future through his eyes and impressed his friends by showing them not only cloud and ash, but 9/11/01 and a SECOND major NYC attack on 9/11/11 - next year.

Talk about close-mindedness.  :-\

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 06:48:48 am »
Many writers have done, thought and expressed opinions about things which some of us may find abhorrent, but that shouldn't affect how we regard their writing - unless, perhaps, it is something blatantly propagandist about something you find objectionable.

Take a writer like Pushkin. He had a penchant for duels (which was ultimately his undoing). I don't know how many people he either killed or maimed doing these, but I assume it was some. What would you think of a writer today who called out people to a life or death fight?

Or the artist Jackson Pollock, who died as a result of being a drink driver, takling someone else with him at the same time. What do you think about drink drivers who cause deaths? How would that affect your opinion of Pollock's art?

Look too closely at the private lives of many writers - and artists - or, God help us, pop musicians, etc - and you'll find something you don't like.

Which is why it is sometimes better not to delve too far. Just enjoy what they've written or produced. That's a different thing in itself.

I have no problems with Ewers. Nor, i think, do many people these days.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 07:11:57 am »
To some extent I agree, David, though in this case we're not talking about his stories, but rather about a book produced "as a tribute to the life..." so considerations of whether this was a life worth paying tribute to do fairly come into it, I think.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 07:15:23 am »
You should see what I had yesterday ...

Talk about close-mindedness.  :-\

Even if you don't agree with the editor's decision, at least now you have a better idea of what will or won't work for him or her. Complaining about rejection slips in public just discourages editors from giving any feedback at all...

Offline Degsy

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2010, 01:29:53 pm »
I'm really sorry Craig... there was absolutely no inferences meant on my part. (Have deleted the reference to your post)

I guess it's one of those never-ending debates, but worth raising just to make people stop and think.

I'm not advocating censorship, of course, people should feel entirely free to read and publish authors however dubious their morals. I myself have a copy of the Sidereal Press edition of NachtMahr - and very nice it is too.

It was just the idea of a 'celebration' or 'tribute' to Ewers that I was uncomfortable with.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 01:35:18 pm by Degsy »

Offline Thana Niveau

• We who walk here walk alone
  • Initiate
  • re-animated
    • View Profile
    • thananiveau.com
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2010, 01:41:39 pm »
The more dubious the morals, the more interesting the subject. And the more scope for edgy and intriguing stories inspired by him.
It's funny... the world is so different in the daylight. In the dark, your fantasies get so out of hand.
But in the daylight everything falls back into place.

Offline Craig Herbertson

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • craigherbertson.com
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2010, 02:11:34 pm »
I'm really sorry Craig... there was absolutely no inferences meant on my part. (Have deleted the reference to your post)

I guess it's one of those never-ending debates, but worth raising just to make people stop and think.

I'm not advocating censorship, of course, people should feel entirely free to read and publish authors however dubious their morals. I myself have a copy of the Sidereal Press edition of NachtMahr - and very nice it is too.

It was just the idea of a 'celebration' or 'tribute' to Ewers that I was uncomfortable with.

Thanks for deleting. I appreciate that gesture, while acknowledging that I could quite easily have done the same sort of thing. I think Joel Lane said something very apposite recently about internet communication and its propensity to blur meanings and intentions. if I look back on my email I appear to be indignant, annoyed and soap-boxish but really at the time I was more tired and worried that I might have come across as a supporter of Ewers politics.

And again I didn't consider the word 'tribute' in my original mail but I agree with David A. Riley that we should be able to separate the writing from the man. Then of course i get confused and ask myself would we consider a 'tribute' to the writing of  Hitler or Stalin..javascript:void(0);

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2010, 02:55:59 pm »
"Then of course i get confused and ask myself would we consider a 'tribute' to the writing of  Hitler or Stalin."

Of course Ewers was no Hitler or Stalin. He wasn't even a Julius Streicher. If he made mistakes, he certainly paid for them. Though I don't suppose, given his life, controversy about Ewers will ever die down completely.

David