Author Topic: What have you been watching on telly?  (Read 21118 times)

Offline Phillip Spencer

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Nightspore
Re: What have you been watching on telly?
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2012, 01:45:43 PM »
Spoiler alert if you did not see Sherlock, season 2 final episode.

Not been a fan of Sherlock Holmes generally but the films have been awesome and the TV series pretty good. I know it's not fantasy, or is it? Certainly the TV series is, bringing it into modern times with no reference to the famous sleuth from the 1890s-ish.
Having seen the final episode last night, I am left wondering if SF elements will be used to explain how SH survived the fall at the end.  He obviously planned something from his conversation with the girl in the lab (not sure of her name) at Barts before going on the roof but the fall and aftermath was a pretty convincing death for Watson.

Looking forward to Series 3 (confirmed today in comments on BBC website by Steven Moffat). Shame we have to wait for next year.

Offline Des Lewis

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • DF Lewis Website
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2012, 04:39:43 PM »
Sherlock and Moriarty seem as if they've been enacting an internet battle.
MY WEBSITE: www.nemonymous.com

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2012, 05:39:11 PM »
Having seen the final episode last night, I am left wondering if SF elements will be used to explain how SH survived the fall at the end.

That seems really unlikely to me, other than perhaps the Baskerville drug from episode two or a sophisticated disguise, for the same reasons that Steven Moffat dismissed the idea of a Doctor Who / Sherlock crossover (here):

I think there are problems of doing that," he admitted. "Because then you would say that Sherlock Holmes lives in the same world as The Doctor, and there are Daleks and all sorts of things. If a Sherlock Holmes story depends on time travel being impossible, it's quite hard [to do it] if he's a personal friend of The Doctor's."

Offline davidjb

• David Burrows
  • Initiate
    • View Profile
    • David's Author Page
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2012, 07:41:45 PM »
Aparently... There is a very similar story line in the original works of Sherlock Holmes. Conan Doyle killed his sleuth off - but then resurected him due to a backlash from the fans.

Been watching Rome on DVD. That's good but very smutty!
Author of the Prophecy of the Kings and Drachar\'s Demons

Offline Dave Brzeski

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2012, 12:46:13 AM »
Aparently... There is a very similar story line in the original works of Sherlock Holmes. Conan Doyle killed his sleuth off - but then resurected him due to a backlash from the fans.

Been watching Rome on DVD. That's good but very smutty!

All of the Sherlock episodes are clever reimaginings of original Conan Doyle Holmes stories. That's kind of the point I think.

Offline Jilly Paddock

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2012, 12:05:22 PM »
All of the Sherlock episodes are clever reimaginings of original Conan Doyle Holmes stories. That's kind of the point I think.

I'd really like to have seen "The Geek Interpreter" and "The Speckled Blonde" cases mentioned in one of the latest episodes! :)

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2012, 07:04:07 PM »
Quite enjoying Grimm but it's starting to get a bit procedural.

Adventure Time is just about my favourite cartoon since Samurai Jack. It's surreal, surprising, sweet and funny, and the autotuned singing is hilarious. The comic - which I was supposedly buying for the children - is pretty much perfect too.

Starting to feel a bit sad about not having Sky Atlantic this year, with Game of Thrones season two on the way...

Offline SAWatts

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2012, 11:00:31 PM »
Me too! Must get the DVD for season 1.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2012, 09:05:48 PM »
We let The Walking Dead season 2 pile up on the tivo, but after a slow start we're starting to get into it now. Some great characters on there - just wish they had a bit more to do. And I'm still annoyed that the zombies in it can run, which makes so much of what the characters do seem utterly stupid. It's a key part of the comic that if you keep moving and don't get surrounded they won't catch you.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2012, 08:23:42 AM »
Completely caught up on The Walking Dead season 2, and it ended up being brilliant. Amazing performances from every actor (Andrew Lincoln especially), top notch zombie action every episode, and what an entrance at the end for one of the comic's best characters.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2013, 05:57:51 PM »
We've been catching up on Person of Interest this last couple of weeks, and it's been okay - shows some promise from time to time, but with so many episodes to a season it's  ended up running through some overfamiliar plots. Much better when it's on its own unique territory.

Think we'll get stuck into Hemlock Grove next. First episode wasn't outstanding, but there was enough to make it worth a second look.

Offline Charlsie

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2013, 03:16:02 PM »
After marathon-watching all of Breaking Bad, I'm moving a way from serious tv shows for a bit. Wouldn't be able to stop myself comparing quality. So as a palate cleanser, I'm stickin with comedy for a bit. It's Always Sunny in Phildelphia, Archer and a thousandth re-watch of Father Ted.

Offline davidjb

• David Burrows
  • Initiate
    • View Profile
    • David's Author Page
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2013, 07:55:17 PM »
Kick Ass and really enjoyed it. I found it difficult to understand why I liked this film, but for some reason I did. A super hero film with no super heroes. I'm not quite sure what appealed to me, but one thing was certain it was a very dark film. A child happily killing drug addicts in a crack house and comparing weapons with them as she did so. Very utterly bizarre, but very compelling. Her acrobatics were amazing and I was enthralled just watching that.

The story line was equally good. There were parallels to the Spider Man storyline at times, but it was always acknowledged and tongue in cheek. Nicholas Cage was brilliant in this film.

What's the second film like? Any good?
Author of the Prophecy of the Kings and Drachar\'s Demons

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2014, 04:23:58 PM »
Just finished The Walking Dead series 5, and though there were good moments, it wasn't a strong season. Every week a new character or three had an emotional epiphany, or opened up about their past, or put their feelings ahead of the need to survive.

That was not the case in House of Cards, series 2, which we've been watching too, and maybe Walking Dead suffered in comparison. Looking forward to watching new Game of Thrones tomorrow, although I felt series 3 of that meandered a bit before its brilliant conclusion.

Offline Andy Hendry

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • A.W. Hendry
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2014, 07:03:13 PM »
I did enjoy the last season of Walking Dead though I do get annoyed at some of the ways that they 'wimp out' of certain scenes from the comic books.
*SPOILERS AHEAD-HIGHLIGHT TO SEE*
Like in an earlier season when Rick shoot Shane, that was supposed to be Carl that shot him. The killing is an important part of the lad's development. Same with the killing of the wee lass in the penultimate episode of this season. That was supposed to be Carl too, again this was important for both his and Rick's storyline.
Still I'm being fernickity. :D
I've recently watched the first few episodes of The 100, the latest SF from the CW, and have to say that I wasn't impressed(link). I get the feeling that I am going to keep on watching it though. Mostly in the hope that all of the characters are going to be wiped out... :/