Author Topic: What have you been watching on telly?  (Read 21060 times)

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
Re: What have you been watching on telly?
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2014, 08:08:26 AM »
I agree with what you say on the blog about wanting HBO to do an sf show. Long overdue!

We've been watching The 100 too. It feels like a cynical mash-up of Lost (the bits down on Earth) and Battlestar Galactica (the bits up in space), and none of it makes a lot of sense. But I think it's the only TV show in space at the moment, apart from Doctor Who. And of all the programmes to imitate Lost over the years, it's the first to realise how much of that programme's appeal was down to beautiful people getting sweaty in a jungle.

Offline joshua rainbird

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
  • Overlation stimuload...
    • View Profile
    • myspace/joshuarainbird
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2014, 12:34:24 PM »
oh boy ... Vikings season 1 - mostly fun but drags very occasionally in places - beautiful sets and beautiful vistas (Ireland mostly) and fun to see another culture portrayed in a sympathetic light - I was a little worried that after the raid on Lindisfarne it would over-evangelise on the "Christian message" like a Charlton Heston movie - thankfully it didn't

love the character of Floki who never answers questions about what he's thinking

love the scenes with the valkyrie and Odin - subtle - a little cliche but a cliche that works well, so why not ?   

overall, worth watching and can't wait for season 2  8)
If wishes were horses then we'd all be eating steak.
Jayne Cobb, Firefly.

But ... if fishes were courses then we'd all be eating hake ...

Offline Andy Hendry

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • A.W. Hendry
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2014, 02:11:03 PM »
Viking is an awesome show. I know enough about VIking society to only get mildly pissed off with the stuff they did wrong(and then only because it was needlessly wrong) and enough to squee a little bit when there was stuff that I have read about turning up, the ritual around the boat burial is taken from ibn Fahdlen's account of the Rūs in Eastern Europe. Am going to watch season 2 when I get the chance seeing as Amazon have decided that there's no 'opt-out' from Prime VIdeo so I may as well make use of it.

Just watched the latest Game of Thrones and am awfully happy.  ;D Really want to say more but... spoilers! :D

Offline Andy Hendry

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • A.W. Hendry
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2014, 03:17:46 PM »
It may not be HBO but Syfy are making a 10 episode adaptation of Leviathan Wakes.

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2014/04/james-sa-corey-leviathan-wakes-the-expanse-syfy-adaptation

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2014, 08:10:38 AM »
Saw the first episode of Penny Dreadful, which pulls together public domain characters to form a monster-fighting team - so far Mina Harker's dad and Victor Frankenstein have shown up. Definite shades of Anno Dracula and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, and I didn't feel riveted during the first episode, but the next day realised that I was looking forward to the next one. Some good special effects and it's making an effort to be as gory and sensational as the publications from which it takes its name.

I'm going to have to dig out Peter Haining's anthology The Penny Dreadful, to see if I can identify any of the other characters.

Offline Andy Hendry

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • A.W. Hendry
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2014, 07:20:24 PM »
I watched Penny Dreadful recently as well and I am actually feeling rather hopeful. They managed to cram quite a lot into that first episode and I really do appreciate its darkness. :)

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2014, 03:46:33 PM »
Just started watching Under the Dome and I like it a lot. Hadn't realised it was developed by Brian K. Vaughan, one of my favourite comic writers, who worked on Lost during some of its best seasons (four and five), or I'd have started it sooner. Ranjna has read the novel but I haven't, which means she now gets to know how I feel when we watch The Walking Dead.

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2014, 04:40:53 PM »
Last night I watched the final two episodes of the second series of In the Flesh on BBC3. The story continually improves and it's great to see a truly original zombie series set in Lancashire. I can't claim that I didn't see one of the tragic twists happening beforehand (brilliantly well handled and shocking though it was), but I did not foresee what would ultimately happen at the very end - showing that a third series must surely be on the cards.
All credit to the writers of this series and the actors too, who gave great performances. 

Offline FranklinMarsh

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2014, 01:58:40 PM »
Somewhat late to this, and I missed the first series completely, but I did enjoy Series 2 of In The Flesh. Almost believable, and the prejudice plotlines were quite detailed. Certain scenes reminded me of Northern Ireland. Found the ending a bit of a let down. Came to it via Charlie Brooker's Dead Set of all things. Zombies in the UK still seem very strange.

Offline stewartguitar

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2014, 11:04:19 PM »
I've just finished the first series of Utopia. It's the first show I've watched a whole series of in this century I think.

Does anyone know a way of skipping the ads on 4od?

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2014, 09:17:11 AM »
Sorry, I don't. On Now TV Sky channels don't have adverts yet, but they have a unskippable break in the middle of programmes just to establish a space where adverts *could* go in the future. So annoying.

Offline jim mcleod

• Bletherskite
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • The Ginger Nuts of Horror
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2014, 09:16:28 AM »
I don't think there is.  What I do is play it then live pause it for about 15 minutes.  Which allows me to fast forward during the breaks

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2014, 08:57:30 AM »
Watched episode one of The Leftovers (on Sky Atlantic). Quite promising. Three years ago, 2% of the world's population disappeared, and we see what's happening to the people still here. Premise is a bit like Left Behind, but it's nowhere near as silly. It's more akin to small-town-in-peril programmes like Under the Dome, Jericho and Three Moons Over Milford.

Offline joshua rainbird

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
  • Overlation stimuload...
    • View Profile
    • myspace/joshuarainbird
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2014, 05:20:07 PM »
I've been watching this programme called Doctor Who.  It's about an alien who calls himself the Doctor and who's stolen unused police property.  It's rather fun.
If wishes were horses then we'd all be eating steak.
Jayne Cobb, Firefly.

But ... if fishes were courses then we'd all be eating hake ...

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2014, 06:12:44 AM »
Watched the first episode of Constantine last night, based on the comic Hellblazer (easily the longest-running comic that I've read every issue of). Nice surprise to see it show up on Amazon Prime Video the day after after its US showing. I've been waiting for a Hellblazer tv show for so long, and now I don't have to wait at all!

The pilot isn't great, reminding us a lot of the Paul McGann Doctor Who TV movie, but Matt Ryan seems well cast, and the end of the pilot suggests they had a rethink before moving on to episode two. Some promise, but might struggle to convince casual viewers it isn't a Supernatural rip-off - unfairly given how much Supernatural has poached from Hellblazer.