Author Topic: BFS news from FantasyCon  (Read 5283 times)

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
BFS news from FantasyCon
« on: September 19, 2010, 10:20:47 pm »
A few bits of BFS news from FantasyCon.

As expected, David Howe is the new chair of the BFS.  :)

Helen Hopley stood down from secretary, treasurer and shopkeeper. As yet, no one has replaced her. She will be very much missed on the committee.

Martin Roberts stood down from publicity officer and stockholder, but remains on the committee as events organiser. No one has been appointed as publicity officer yet, but Christopher Teague was elected to the post of stockholder.

Everyone else continued in their posts.

As the outgoing chair, I'd like to thank the committee for all their support and hard work, and the membership for putting up with me for nine months. And of course I'd like to thank Chris and David for joining the committee.  :)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 10:25:33 pm by Stephen Theaker »

Offline Jim Steel

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Panglossian Hubris
Re: BFS news from FantasyCon
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 10:25:53 pm »
You did a great job, Stephen.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 10:41:23 pm »
Thanks, Jim!

One more bit of news: the FantasyCon raffle raised 390 which will be donated to the charities benefitting from Never Again, launched with great success at FantasyCon. And that will happen just as soon as I carry that enormous bag of 1 coins to the bank.

Thanks to everyone who bought raffle tickets. I hope you all went home with something - if not let me know and I'll send you one of the many, many books I won.  :D

Offline LouM

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Lou Morgan
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 08:49:36 am »
Those would be the many, many paper books you don't have space for, right?  ;)

The raffle was tremendous: I couldn't believe how many books there were in there - and I'm thrilled with the PS illustrated Stephen King story I brought home.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 09:26:18 am »
I must have been the only person at the raffle hoping I wouldn't win the bundle of Ray Bradbury books from PS Publishing - I'd have been chased from the hall with flaming torches.   :o

After the AGM I thought I heard someone describing my talk of ebooks as science fiction, something that won't take off for a decade... When I got back from the con, my mum couldn't wait to tell me she has just bought a Kindle.  :)

Offline allybird

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • Allyson Bird website
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 09:49:58 am »
'One more bit of news: the FantasyCon raffle raised 390 which will be donated to the charities benefitting from Never Again, launched with great success at FantasyCon. And that will happen just as soon as I carry that enormous bag of 1 coins to the bank.'

Indeed the launch was a great success and thank you to all involved!

The book is already in profit and the organisations listed to benefit from now on are....The Sophie Lancaster Foundation, Amnesty International, P.E.N.
(International organisation to promote literature and human rights, encouraging translation and campaigning against political censorship).

http://grayfriarpress.com/catalogue/neveragain.html

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 10:04:59 am »
The mention of ebooks above reminds me: three proposals were put to the AGM, as follows:

Proposal (British Fantasy Awards): Allow withdrawals of recommended or nominated work by their creators. Proposed by Stephen Theaker as awards admin. - proposal passed

This was passed with little discussion - it fixed an unintended consequences of the changes to the awards constitution last year. The BFS committee had voted to add to the constitution the words: "The Awards Committee has no discretion to discount recommendations and votes for reasons other than those set out in this constitution." This was to encourage consistency from one awards admin to the next, but taken literally would mean the awards admin couldn't discount votes for an item even if the person behind the project wanted to withdraw it. So a small change, but one that made me happy.

Proposal (British Fantasy Awards): Limit recommendations to five per person per category, to reduce time spent checking recommendations. Proposed by Stephen Theaker as awards admin. - proposal withdrawn

This was an attempt to limit the workload required by the longlist, but I was convinced by the counter-arguments offered and happily withdrew the proposal without putting it to a vote.

Proposal (BFS membership: The BFS may, when it is ready, choose to offer ebook only memberships at a reduced rate. Reason: potential for increasing membership. Proposer: Stephen Theaker as chair. - proposal passed

This provoked the most discussion, but did pass. We're not ready to do this yet, and we may never be, but the AGM has given us permission to go ahead should the committee ever decide it's ready.

(During the discussion of this proposal I may have expressed a certain amount of distaste for paper books these days - definitely the wrong crowd for that! - which led to some rumblings when I won several of them during the raffle.  :))

As mentioned in Prism, I had meant to put another proposal, but forgot when putting the agenda together: to limit the small press category to the small presses themselves, and exclude their projects. Given that it seems to be fairly uncontroversial, and most people I've spoken to have expressed surprise that the projects are still eligible, I'll just put this one to a committee vote once the new committee has had a chance to settle in.

Offline Jen

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jennybarber.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 10:56:36 am »
The mention of ebooks above reminds me: three proposals were put to the AGM, as follows:
Proposal (BFS membership: The BFS may, when it is ready, choose to offer ebook only memberships at a reduced rate. Reason: potential for increasing membership. Proposer: Stephen Theaker as chair. - proposal passed
This provoked the most discussion, but did pass. We're not ready to do this yet, and we may never be, but the AGM has given us permission to go ahead should the committee ever decide it's ready.

Except, didn't we reword the proposal to make it clearer that it was concerned with amending the consitution to allow for the committee to create alternate membership options in the future.   ;)

Am going to start a seperate E-pub thread, I think, as the whole BFS E-pub thing is a nice meaty topic all on its own!

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 11:18:07 am »
I *think* I asked the AGM to vote on the proposal in the light of David's elucidation of it, rather than on a reworded proposal...  ;)

I think we said we would look at whether additional wording needed to be added to the constitution and then voted on at next year's AGM, but, looking at it, I don't think the constitution needs rewording to allow ebook only memberships. We could have done it last week, but because it's potentially such an emotive issue, I really did want to give members the chance to vote "not in my lifetime" if that's how they felt - I'm glad they didn't.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 11:23:53 am by Stephen Theaker »

Offline Jen

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jennybarber.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 11:32:56 am »
Oh I definitely think it's a good think for us to do in the future.  (Want it now!)

It also makes me wonder if there wasn't the potential for doing something with publishers who do e-books - like getting them to donate one of their e-books as an introductory offer to new e-BFS members.  Or is there a way to offer a free BFS e-book to people that buy a particular title from a publisher.  Like an offer code in the back of the e-book that sends the reader to the BFS to claim their BFS e-book.

Or something.   :D

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 11:45:26 am »
Those are really fantastic, practical and very much doable ideas...
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 11:50:54 am by Stephen Theaker »

Offline LouM

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Lou Morgan
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 02:55:37 pm »
I *think* I asked the AGM to vote on the proposal in the light of David's elucidation of it, rather than on a reworded proposal...  ;)

I think we said we would look at whether additional wording needed to be added to the constitution and then voted on at next year's AGM, but, looking at it, I don't think the constitution needs rewording to allow ebook only memberships. We could have done it last week, but because it's potentially such an emotive issue, I really did want to give members the chance to vote "not in my lifetime" if that's how they felt - I'm glad they didn't.

I got a bit lost in it all, but was the e-book only membership to be at the same membership fee in the end, and the idea was people could choose to have either / or when they joined?

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 09:09:51 am »
Some members said that that was what they would prefer, and if the time ever comes I'm sure the chair and committee would consider that as an option.

But the proposal voted on, and passed, was: "The BFS may, when it is ready, choose to offer ebook only memberships at a reduced rate."

So we are definitely not limited in future to only offering ebook memberships at the same price as paper ones.

Offline LouM

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Lou Morgan
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2010, 01:54:35 pm »
See, this is why I'm not good at committees. I go, I sit, I listen... and then something sparkly catches the light, and you've lost me  ;D

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2010, 02:20:05 pm »
I really enjoyed the AGM... I could quite happily have spent the whole morning on it. It brings home too just how active the BFS really is - even after two hours it felt like there was so much more we could have talked about.

:)