Author Topic: Small Press titles... and who can afford them  (Read 24088 times)

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
Re: Small Press titles... and who can afford them
« Reply #90 on: February 06, 2011, 06:20:16 pm »
I think you owe me an apology too. But I waive it.

A baffling end to a baffling conversation!

Offline Des Lewis

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • DF Lewis Website
« Reply #91 on: February 06, 2011, 06:34:42 pm »
A baffling end to a baffling conversation!

I agree, as I said. At a loss to understand what lies behind some of it.
MY WEBSITE: www.nemonymous.com

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #92 on: February 06, 2011, 06:39:28 pm »
I think it's probably better to take this off the forum, so that you can just come out and say whatever you want to say - we've argued about it on here enough. I'll drop you a line.

Offline Des Lewis

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • DF Lewis Website
« Reply #93 on: February 06, 2011, 06:42:52 pm »
Well, I think I've already said what I have to say as clearly as possible. But I shall be pleased to "shake hands".

Offline johnny mains

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 06, 2011, 07:59:15 pm »

The second issue is that the best and most interesting books I receive for review are nearly always those from PS Publishing, but there would be no chance on earth of them ever sending a minor blogger like me a copy of, say, the Basil Copper collection, or those Esslemont hardbacks.

I got the Basil books to review. And review them I did.
‎"The duty of an enthusiast about a forgotten author is constantly to bring his name before the public, in hope that such forgotten writers and the treasures of their work may be rescued from undeserved oblivion" - Herbert van Thal

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
« Reply #95 on: February 06, 2011, 08:23:39 pm »
Most of what I find myself reading these days within the genres covered here are older books which it would be nonsense to review. I don't read all that much newer stuff.

The only new book I've read in the past few months, in fact, was Reggie Oliver's The Dracula Papers Book 1: The Scholar's Tale which Chomu Press sent to me as a review copy and which I have reviewed in the next issue of Prism.

Offline Paul Campbell

• BFS Reviewers
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 06, 2011, 08:42:43 pm »
I stopped reviewing for Prism because I thought I had signed up to be a small/indie press reviewer. Alas, the vast majority of books submitted to the BFS were vanity titles. Should I have felt obligated to read them? Well, I didn't; life is too short. Instead I reviewed any small press titles I happened to be buying for myself. And, then, I stopped even doing that: I'm a reader and most small presses are aimed at collectors. I ain't paying 15 quid for a 40 page novella (at least the vast majority of then would work out at being only 40 pages if you were to reformat them into, say, a B format paperback). Since WHC in Brighton almost a year ago now I've bought very few small press titles: they're out of my price league. Even PS Publishing's Postscripts, which I loved - it went from a £26 a year sub to £50 because it is now exclusively a hardback anthology for collectors. The paperback edition for blue-collar readers like myself was phased out.

As for the whole ebook/physical book argument: well, up until the end of last year, the answer would have been a definite 'yes' in favour of print books.

Now?

Neither. Starting from December, my rail line to work changed their time table. So, instead of arriving just in time for work, I would now arrive late. Luckily I live within walking distance. Still, itís a one hour, 5 mile walk. And the same back. 10 hours a week. Hmmm... that could potentially be a lot of wasted time.

But it isnít. Audiobooks (converted to mps). Iíve listened to a number of them, sporadically, over the years. But now Iím immersing myself in them. And itís absolutely fabulous. ĎThe Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Timeí? A delightful. ĎHis Dark Materialsí with Philip Pullman himself doing all the descriptive reading and a full cast doing all the dialogue? Mesmerising. Of course, it has to be unabridged, but then almost all of them are these days.

So, as you can imagine, Iím more likely to visit audible.co.uk these days than I am amazon.co.uk.

I still, naturally, read physical books at home outwith my travel time to work... but, I gotta tellya, the only thing I like better than reading now is someone reading to me. I only wish all the books I wanted to read were available in an audio version. I only today discovered an online audio short story magazine, StarShipSofa.

Ah, heaven!  ;D

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
« Reply #97 on: February 06, 2011, 08:46:21 pm »
I love audio books, Paul. Our local library has a large range on CD which I regularly listen to in my car to and from work. Much better than the radio!

And it gives me the chance to try things that I might other give a miss.

Offline Des Lewis

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • DF Lewis Website
« Reply #98 on: February 06, 2011, 08:49:25 pm »
I've read aloud a lot of my own stuff on-line.  I love reading aloud, but find it hard to concentrate on others reading aloud.  But it is an interesting topic.

Offline Jim Steel

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Panglossian Hubris
« Reply #99 on: February 06, 2011, 08:54:58 pm »
I take it that you're already familiar with Transmissions From Beyond (the TTA Press podcasts), Paul?

http://transmissionsfrombeyond.com/

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Publisher, The Alchemy Press
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Peter Coleborn / Alchemy Press
« Reply #100 on: February 06, 2011, 09:03:20 pm »
Neither. Starting from December, my rail line to work changed their time table. So, instead of arriving just in time for work, I would now arrive late. Luckily I live within walking distance. Still, itís a one hour, 5 mile walk. And the same back. 10 hours a week. Hmmm... that could potentially be a lot of wasted time.

I still, naturally, read physical books at home outwith my travel time to work... but, I gotta tellya, the only thing I like better than reading now is someone reading to me. I only wish all the books I wanted to read were available in an audio version. I only today discovered an online audio short story magazine, StarShipSofa.

First, it keeps you fit and secondly, I have mentioned Star Ship Sofa on the BFS website several times now -- glad you found the link useful.

Offline Des Lewis

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • DF Lewis Website
« Reply #101 on: February 07, 2011, 09:57:18 am »

I am happy to withdraw unconditionally my request to Stephen Theaker for a reciprocal apology rather than waiving it. I also would like to apologise again for any unintended implications of underlying factors in Stephen's posts that I didn't understand. I also withdraw unconditionally my personal statement of feeling quoted below.

I feel I have been misrepresented, deliberately misunderstood in the two thread discussions here for some reason that I can't understand.
Maybe I am at fault. Maybe not.

I have always respected Stephen and his hard work in the field and I will continue to do so. Apologies for any offence I gave.
des