The British Fantasy Society Forum
July 13, 2014, 03:25:51 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NOTICE TO ALL MEMBERS - We have updated registration to include an additional question in order to try and deter spammers ... if anyone encounters any issues, please email: britishfantasysocietywebmaster@gmail.com

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monk Punk - Call For Submissions  (Read 442 times)
ajfrench
« on: October 12, 2010, 03:52:07 pm »

I am excited to announce that I will be editing a new anthology for Static Movement called “Monk Punk.” Here are the guidelines:

Seeking Monk Punk stories between 1000 and 6000 words that will help broaden and define this elusive sub-genre of speculative fiction. Monk Punk is a variant strain of science fiction where lovable monks are the heroes (or anti-heros) of events unfolding in a post-apocalyptic era, alt-history era, fantasy setting, or historical fiction setting.

Seeking both Eastern and Western monks. That means Franciscan (Catholic) monks (of the Christian stock) and Buddhist monks (from Tibet and other parts of Asia, which includes monks of Chinese Mysticism and Kung Fu). The Name of the Rose movie is a good example of this (from a Western perspective) and the new movie The Last Airbender is a good example of Eastern Monk Punk. Anything involving monks that takes place in a monastery or temple, however I will also accept monks going along their own path. I will accept horror/zombie Monk Punk stories, as well as murder mystery and thriller Monk Punk stories.

For Eastern inspiration see: Geoff Ryman’s short story, "The Last Ten Years in the Life of Hero Kai,” The Tales of the Otori Trilogy, Catherynne M. Valente’s “Yume no Hon: The Book of Dreams.” For Western inspiration see: Walter Miller’s “A Canticle for Leibowitz,” Neal Stephenson’s “Anathem,” and Umberto Eco’s “The Name of the Rose.” And feel free to blend all aspects.

Please send your submissions to monkpunkantho@gmail.com Put “Monk Punk” in the subject line and attach your story as a word document. Please proofread your work and send only your very best, as I will be submitting this book to end of the year Best Of collections (likely 2011).

Send word attachments (no .Docx), single spaced, indented paragraphs with no space between paragraphs, no headers, footers, or embedded text. No underlines (use italics). No single quotation marks for dialogue (curly quotes). One space after periods instead of two. Open until filled. Response time: 2 weeks.

Thanks!
A.J. French

I forgot to mention that this is a 4theluv endeavor. However, I do think it will be received with interest, as there is nothing yet like it on the market. Monkpunk has in it the same potential as sub-genres like cyberpunk and steampunk, but monkpunk needs to be more defined for that to happen. I hope to do some of that (at least some of the initial work before the big boys take over) with this anthology.
Steppedonwolf
Warrior

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 12:53:01 am »

Hello, AJ! Fancy seeing you here.

Any BFS members sent you anything?

"A room without books is like a body without a soul." - Cicero

http://www.archivesofpain.com
ajfrench
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 09:42:34 pm »

Hello, Adrian! And hey fellow writers, here is the almost-final TOC of the Monk Punk anthology I've been editing for Static Movement. We're at about 76000, so I just need like one more story and then I'll be closing submissions and finishing up the editing process, and then this thing can see print. If you've got a possible story for this, please polish it up and send it to monkpunkantho@gmail.com thanks!

The Second Coming by Joe Jablonski
Nasrudin: Desert Monk by Barry Rosenberg
The Last Monk by George Ivanoff
Snowfall by JC Andrijeski
Don't Bite My Finger by Geoff Nelder
The Birth of God by Jeffrey Sorensen
Capital Sins in a Dominican Monastery by Gayle Arrowood
Suitcase Nuke by Sean Monaghan
Wonder and Glory by Adrian Chamberlin
The Just One by Willie Meikle
Vortex by Joshua Ramey-Renk
The Liturgy of Hours by Dean M Drinkel
Black Rose by Robert Harkess
The Cult of Adam by Mark Iles
Brethren of Fire by Zach Black
Xenocyte: A Kiomarra Story by Caleb Heath
The Path of Li Xi by A.J. French
Rannoch Abbey and the Night Visitor by Dave Fragments
Fistful of Tengu by David J. West
The Key to Happiness by R.B. Payne
The Power of Gods by Sean T. M. Stiennon
Citipati by Suzanne Robb
Steppedonwolf
Warrior

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 01:15:16 pm »

Shaping up to be a great antho.

Anyone here fancy a go? If you're stuck for ideas, read Terry Pratchett's Thief of Time or the hilarious Chow Yun-Fat film Bulletproof Monk.

See y'all in the monastery!  Grin

"A room without books is like a body without a soul." - Cicero

http://www.archivesofpain.com
ajfrench
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 07:53:39 am »

Submissions for this are now closed, thanks! Here's a look at the final TOC:

Introduction by D. Harlan Wilson
The Second Coming by Joe Jablonski
Nasrudin: Desert Monk by Barry Rosenberg
The Last Monk by George Ivanoff
Snowfall by JC Andrijeski
Don't Bite My Finger by Geoff Nelder