Author Topic: Affordable paperback reprint of Mark Samuels's collection  (Read 2676 times)

Offline Paul Campbell

• BFS Reviewers
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
Affordable paperback reprint of Mark Samuels's collection
« on: October 23, 2010, 06:28:19 pm »
For those, like me,  who despair of the elitism of an author's text ONLY being available in an expensive limited edition, you will be pleased to know that THE MAN WHO COLLECTED MACHEN AND OTHER WEIRD TALES by Mark Samuels is scheduled to be reprinted by Chômu Press next year:

http://chomupress.com/our-books/the-man-who-collected-machen-and-other-weird-tales/

It was originally published earlier this year by the über-expensive Ex Occidente Press. Now, don't get me wrong, if I ever saw their edition I'm sure I'd find it to be drop-dead gorgeous. But 50 quid for a book less than a 150 pages? Thanks, but no thanks...

... besides, I'm a reader. You know? I want to read the story. I'm not buying it so I can have an expensive ornament.

(And here's something else to consider when viewing these fancy limited editions as nothing more than over-priced ornaments: the only thing you ever see of them on the shelf... is the spine.)

Oh, and the paperback reprint of Samuels's book will contain a brand new bonus story.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 06:30:17 pm by Paul Campbell »

Offline Paul Campbell

• BFS Reviewers
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
Re: Affordable paperback reprint of Mark Samuels's collection
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 09:38:18 am »
Meant to say -

- was browsing PS Publishing's 'Under £10' catalogue and noticed they were doing Samuels's previous collection, Glyphotech and Other Macabre Processes (2008, 204 pgs) for £6.99 (it was originally a tenner).

http://store.pspublishing.co.uk/acatalog/info_213.html

AND - just to let you know! - Tarturus Press still have copies of their paperback reprint of his first collection, The White Hands and Other Weird Tales (2003, 144 pgs) for £9.99. The price is INCLUSIVE of P&P. Note: this is - and will be - the only paperback edition of any of their books they have ever done.

http://freepages.pavilion.net/tartarus/samuels.htm

The title story has been rerpinted in The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror Volume Fifteen (2004) and The Mammoth Book of the Best of Best New Horror (2010) both edited by Stephen Jones.

Going by their other titles, it looks as if Chômu Press while probably be doing their reprint edition for around £12 -

- meaning you can buy up all three of Samuels's books for £30! So, whatcha waiting for?!?!

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 09:47:04 am »
That's good news, Paul. I already have  Glyphotech and Other Macabre Processes and The White Hands and Other Weird Tales , but the Ex-Occidente volume was just too expensive, so a paperback version at that price is great.

Offline John Forth

• Whirlpool
  • Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 06:30:59 pm »
I second what David has said. I like Mark's short stories a lot, and have the first two collections, but this was far and away too expensive for me. I'm looking forward to the 'council' version  ;D

Offline marksamuels

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 12:33:59 am »
It's true!

Thanks for the support here: it's much appreciated.

:)

Mark S.

Offline marksamuels

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 01:56:34 pm »
March 2011 I think.

Mark S.