Author Topic: Blood & Chrome - new Battlestar Galactica prequel series  (Read 2433 times)

Offline P.G.Bell

• Initiate
  • Writer, reader, reviewer and podcaster of sf/f/h.
    • View Profile
    • Impossible Podcasts
Blood & Chrome - new Battlestar Galactica prequel series
« on: November 30, 2010, 10:56:35 pm »
This news has been circulating for a while now, but I thought I'd post it for discussion here as well. The SyFy channel has commissioned a pilot episode for Blood & Chrome, a new prequel series to Battlestar Galactica, set during the first Cylon war. Here's the link to the news story in Wired.com.

I'm in two minds about this. While I like the idea of another Galactica series, I don't really need to know how Adama and the Galactica fared in the Cylon war. They both survive to star in the parent series, after all. And one of the things I liked most about Caprica was that it took a markedly different approach to the same universe. This sounds as if it'll be more action heavy. Could be good, could be disastrous.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
IMPOSSIBLE PODCASTS - Reviews and discussions of science fiction and fantasy on television, in books and in films, by a group of Cardiff-based fans! http://impossiblepodcasts.blogspot.com/

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
Re: Blood & Chrome - new Battlestar Galactica prequel series
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 09:19:17 am »
Prequels are all right but, as you say, they do have limitations in that you know certain individuals are going to survive, which from a program like this does detract from the tension.

I loved the new Battlestar Gallactica, though the final series was a bit of a let down to me and I can't say I loved how it finished. Saying which, it was still head and shoulders above most TV series.

It would have been nice to have seen what happened at the end of the series expanded on - and improved upon too.

Offline LouM

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Lou Morgan
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 10:32:36 am »
I'm still very sad Caprica was cancelled. I thought the decision to take a universe we were already familiar with (in theory) and put a different spin on it was exciting - and I loved the show. I was never a BSG die-hard, and drifted away from it - but Caprica's different approach drew me back in. I suspect that B&C will work the opposite way: it may not attract new fans, but will probably be of more interest to BSG watchers. From my point of view, if I wanted more of the same, I'd just go back and watch BSG...

Offline P.G.Bell

• Initiate
  • Writer, reader, reviewer and podcaster of sf/f/h.
    • View Profile
    • Impossible Podcasts
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 04:17:42 pm »
I agree with you, LouM - B&C seems designed specifically to counter accusations that Caprica wasn't close enough in style to BSG, which seems a real shame. So many people seem to have missed the point! (Admittedly, I've only seen the pilot episode of Caprica so far, but was thoroughly impressed and fully intend to buy the series box set just as soon as possible.)

I can't help thinking the first Cylon war would be better told through an MMORPG. You could tell a great story while still satisfying your action quota, without having to canibalise the parent series. I'd certainly buy a copy!

Oh, and while we're on the subject, how will the franchise's continued success affect Bryan Singer's movie re-boot?
IMPOSSIBLE PODCASTS - Reviews and discussions of science fiction and fantasy on television, in books and in films, by a group of Cardiff-based fans! http://impossiblepodcasts.blogspot.com/