Author Topic: Misfits  (Read 2163 times)

Offline P.G.Bell

• Initiate
  • Writer, reader, reviewer and podcaster of sf/f/h.
    • View Profile
    • Impossible Podcasts
Misfits
« on: December 08, 2010, 12:31:20 pm »
Has anybody else has been watching the current series of Misfits on E4?

I've always liked the show's concept (a group of young offenders develop superpowers and singularly fail to put them to any good use), but felt the first series was crippled by what I like to refer to as "Torchwood Syndrome" - allowing the plot and characters to play second fiddle to extraneous sex and profanity. Still, it scooped a BAFTA, so what do I know?

Happily, the show has undergone a quantum leap in quality with its second series. While it's still no masterpiece, they've introduced an ongoing plot arc which is playing out nicely and the acting (always the highlight of the show) is as strong as ever.

Has anyone else been watching this? What are your thoughts?
IMPOSSIBLE PODCASTS - Reviews and discussions of science fiction and fantasy on television, in books and in films, by a group of Cardiff-based fans! http://impossiblepodcasts.blogspot.com/

Offline allybird

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • Allyson Bird website
Re: Misfits
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 12:51:16 pm »
"the acting (always the highlight of the show) is as strong as ever."

I agree and I'm glad that I finally caught up with the series.

Offline mightyjoeyoung

• Whirlpool
  • Thaumaturge
  • To write. To be truly read. That must be glorious.
    • View Profile
Re: Misfits
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 12:45:23 pm »
Enjoyable silliness, in particular Nathan's antics. The guy is more of a caricature than the others, but annoyingly watchable even if he does go over the top with crapping on beds et cetera. The general idea of an immortal with an attitude problem is funny as you'll never be truly rid of him. I think the best character is Simon, multi-faceted and brilliantly acted, though the entire 'Superhoodie' plot thing was killed off far too early and in a stupid way given that he had future knowledge. I just hope the writers keep on coming up with ever more interesting uses for all of them.