Author Topic: The Slow climb back to the land of the living... Kimota returns  (Read 3066 times)

Offline Graeme

• Initiate
    • View Profile
The Slow climb back to the land of the living... Kimota returns
« on: January 05, 2011, 12:02:18 am »
Hi,

I'm Graeme Hurry.

A number of years ago I edited and published a small press magazine called Kimota. Before that was an anthology called Northern Chills. I have taken nine years out mainly to do some Open University courses and recoup the money I lost.

However, I am crawling back. Initially with an Kindle anthology of the old Kimota stories (after I get permission from all the authors) but after that I hope to produce a Kindle magazine called Kzine along the lines of Kimota concentrating on Horror, Fantasy, SF and Crime and mixtures of these genres.

If you're interested I have initiated a website www.kzine.co.uk which has a link to the old Kimota site.

Cheers,

Graeme

Offline deboree

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: The Slow climb back to the land of the living... Kimota returns
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 07:07:03 am »
Hello Graeme,

Good luck with all your new ventures. What made you decide to re-enter the fray? -- debs

Offline CarolineC

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 10:42:33 am »
Hi Graeme - I loved Northern Chills. I have a signed copy which adorns my bookshelf alongside my other favourite small press titles. I've never come across the Kimota magazine though.

Good luck with the new venture. I'm afraid I prefer real paper books and magazines to electronic ones (I'm an old stick-in-the-mud), but it certainly seems to be the way things are going now so I hope it works out well for you.  :)
Please 'like' Frightful Horrors on Facebook
www.facebook.com/frightfulhorrorsuk

Offline Graeme

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 12:18:52 pm »
Thanks Caroline and Debs.

I re-entered the fray, as it were, because electronic books seem to offer a way to provide a venue for new writers without the publisher outlaying for the printing costs up front and ending up with many unsold copies. That's the theory anyway. That's why I am only starting with an anthology of older stories rather than get too many people's hopes up when I find masses of hidden costs.

Cheers,

Graeme
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 12:20:49 pm by Graeme »

Offline Dave Price

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 12:29:20 pm »
I certainly remember Kimota; an attractive little, perfect bound magazine from what I think of as the small press golden age. This kindle project will make for a great bit of nostalgia.

Offline deboree

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 02:47:09 pm »
Yes . . . e-publishing seems a great way to go. I've been experimenting putting some of my reprints for sale. Maybe in a few months kindle will find a way to extract more profit. But, make hay while the sun shines -- that's one of my many mottos.

Let us know when it's up, Graeme.

Offline Jim Steel

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Panglossian Hubris
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 09:58:34 pm »
I remember your magazines, Graeme - it's good to see you back.

Offline Graeme

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 06:48:02 pm »
Thanks for your kind comments. If anyone had a story in Kimota, and I have not contacted yet, can they post or contact me as to whether I can republish it or not.

Thanks,

Graeme
www.kzine.co.uk