Author Topic: Being Human  (Read 4493 times)

Offline gemma75

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Being Human
« on: February 20, 2011, 08:08:49 pm »
Loving the new series so far. Any other fans out there?

Offline Shaun Jeffrey

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shaunjeffrey.com
Re: Being Human
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 09:15:07 am »
I've started watching it, but I'm not overly impressed. True Blood on the other hand is excellent.  :)
The Kult

People are predictable. That's what makes them easy to kill.

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 09:51:32 am »
Oddly enough I'm quite the opposite. I thought True Blood started okay, but went downhill. The books, which I tried to read, I found awful.

Offline Mike Chinn

• Thaumaturge
  • Cavy Slave
    • View Profile
    • Displacement Activity
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 01:55:14 pm »
I've started watching it, but I'm not overly impressed. True Blood on the other hand is excellent.  :)

I've lost interest in True Blood. It has - in the words of Monty Python - gone a bit silly. Werewolves, vampire kings and queens (lots of queens), all bearing their fangs at each other and posturing a lot. All the kinky sex and constant swearing can't disguise the whole thing's gone very childish.
Mike Chinn

Offline Shaun Jeffrey

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shaunjeffrey.com
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 06:11:04 pm »

I've lost interest in True Blood. It has - in the words of Monty Python - gone a bit silly. Werewolves, vampire kings and queens (lots of queens), all bearing their fangs at each other and posturing a lot. All the kinky sex and constant swearing can't disguise the whole thing's gone very childish.

Funnily enough, I found Being Human (from the few episodes I have seen) sort of the same, in that it seemed a little silly with the set up of werewolves, vampires, ghosts and suchlike. The last episode I saw had a girl wake up from the morgue. I couldn't work out whether it was supposed to be intentionally funny or not. But I guess we can't all like the same things, otherwise the world would be a bland place.  :)
The Kult

People are predictable. That's what makes them easy to kill.

Offline Steppedonwolf

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.archivesofpain.com
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 01:19:23 pm »

I agree. I loved the first two series (I'm not gonna call them seasons!) and really enjoyed the plots with the Maenad and the right-wing religious cult, but this third series has left me cold.
"A room without books is like a body without a soul." - Cicero

http://www.archivesofpain.com

Offline allybird

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • Allyson Bird website
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 05:06:48 pm »
Being Human is still excellent television and True Blood has picked up again after all the devil worship plot which I disliked.

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 11:44:51 am »
I'm surprised no one has commented on how brilliant the current series has become - and how much darker and more violent. When the series first started I wondered whether it was just going to be some mildly amusing peice of light entertainment, but now its becoming one of the darkest, most rivetting pieces of British genre TV ever. For me at least. The acting is first rate, and the way the various characters have evolved engrossing, especialling the revived Herrick.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 05:19:53 pm »
I think I reviewed the first half of series one for Prism but fell behind after that - we recorded it on the PlayStation 3 but were struck by the "yellow light of death", as it's called. All the comments about how good this series is have prompted us to add the DVDs of the episodes we've missed to our Lovefilm list.

I enjoyed True Blood at first, but I had the same reaction I nearly always do to HBO programmes - watching an episode feels like watching the sequel to a film you only watched last week. The first episode of Boardwalk Empire was brilliant, but I haven't been in the mood to watch Boardwalk Empire Part II yet...
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 05:32:02 pm by Rolnikov »

Offline Shemjaza

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Being Human * POSSIBLE SPOILERS*
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 01:54:11 pm »
I really like Being Human. Especially considering the glamourisation of vampires by the US television shows, movies and books recently. To me vampires are dark, dirty looking and vicious, that even came over in the Buffy and Angel. but the idea that they sparkle? Oh my god no.  the actor who played Mitchell was very very good, he struck a nice balance between being thoroughly evil and tortured by a need not to kill any more. The Herrick character was also excellent, he reminded me of rotten meat walking around with a human face and the foil to both of them are George and Nina, also struggling to be human even when the urge to be wolf takes them over. The ghost Annie is the one character that I find annoying. I get that she's a catalyst for many of the happenings and her innocence was endearing at first, but as it develops into a virtuous morality that made me want to slap her silly and ask her what she expects considering she is interacting with creatures who have soulless and conscienceless (not sure if that's a word  :P )killing as one of their most basic instincts.

There is nothing glamorous about Being Human which is what makes it stand out in my view.

On the other hand and since someone already mentioned it. True Blood actually started out quite well.  My main complaint with the show is the continuous use of gore. Some gore is very necessary to get the point across that vampires are evil and mean, but glass funerary pots with the disgusting red, gloopy remains inside? Again a thousand times no. I don't mind a bit of arm ripping or vampires feeding, but somehow True Blood kicks the arse out of it. I actually found the books were better than the show because they explain properly how it is that the various other supernatural races come about and explains their revelation to the human population. The only thing that really irritated me in the show and strangely not in the book was Sookie herself and how on the show she just jumps into danger even and somehow expects that her brand of practical humanity will overcome all of these primal evil creatures who are only civilised on the very surface. She doesn't seem to even consider that if she pushes them too far she might not survive. I think what has started to put me off the show is the revelation about Sookie which really turns her into a Mary Sue.  And the way vampire Bill says her name...over and over again...Sookeh...Sookeh. It really grates on me

The show is fairly glamorous in that the girls are all drop dead gorgeous and the guys are, mostly handsome, but that's America's obsession with everyone having to look as though they just stepped out of makeup and hair. I think we in the UK do it better, at least our actors look real.

So has anyone actually watched Becoming Human which is a one shot that involves the young (old) vampire that Mitchell and the others tried to find a place for. He wandered off to catch a train eventually to make his own way.