Author Topic: BFS Journal Spring 2011  (Read 13170 times)

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Publisher, The Alchemy Press
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Peter Coleborn / Alchemy Press
Re: BFS Journal Spring 2011
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2011, 04:02:51 pm »
Ah, sorry David (Howe, that is), I meant that I rejoined after a period of not being a member. But it's OK, no need to worry about it.

I started reading my journal last night and loved it. Started with Terry Grimwood's tale which was excellent, loved Jim Steel's short short, and then chuckled all the way to bed after reading Sam Stone's brilliant take on an old theme - zombies have never been such fun!  :D  Great stuff so far - thanks to all concerned.

Thanks for the kind words, Caroline. Sam's story made me smile, too  ;)

Offline Jim Steel

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Panglossian Hubris
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2011, 06:28:05 pm »
Thanks, Caroline!  :)

Offline Steppedonwolf

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.archivesofpain.com
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2011, 08:28:52 pm »
'Tis a lovely piece of work. Stunning cover from Daniele, and it makes sense to go for paperback. Looking forward to reading it - just need to clear the TBR list on the Kindle.

It's gonna be a nice change to read print again!   ;D
"A room without books is like a body without a soul." - Cicero

http://www.archivesofpain.com

Offline IanH

• BFS Reviewers
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2011, 12:41:59 pm »
And I've had the pleasure of hearing Jim read that story - in scary costume too.

Also don't forget the poems, and keep sending them in.

Ian

Ian Hunter
Dark Horizons Poetry Editor

www.ian-hunter.co.uk

Ah, sorry David (Howe, that is), I meant that I rejoined after a period of not being a member. But it's OK, no need to worry about it.

I started reading my journal last night and loved it. Started with Terry Grimwood's tale which was excellent, loved Jim Steel's short short, and then chuckled all the way to bed after reading Sam Stone's brilliant take on an old theme - zombies have never been such fun!  :D  Great stuff so far - thanks to all concerned.

Offline John L Probert

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • John Llewellyn Probert
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2011, 03:53:19 pm »
We received the second issue of the journal a couple of days ago and it's a beautiful piece of work.

Many thanks to David Riley for peppering my column with some well-chosen stills from Psychomania!

Offline DavidJHowe

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Telos Publishing
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2011, 07:11:13 pm »
Sent the Kindle edition of the Journal out on Sunday, so those folks who asked for it in that format should now have it hopefully :)

David
Telos Publishing: http://www.telos.co.uk
Doctor Who Merchandise: http://www.tardis.tv   
Howe's Who: http://www.howeswho.co.uk

Offline jim mcleod

• Bletherskite
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • The Ginger Nuts of Horror
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2011, 10:17:16 pm »
Got mine today, thanks folks.  My first ever edition. 

Nice work guys

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2011, 07:04:25 am »
Sent the Kindle edition of the Journal out on Sunday, so those folks who asked for it in that format should now have it hopefully :)

David

Yes, thanks! Great to have it in that format.

Offline Paul Woodward

• Whirlpool
  • Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Paulwoodwards blog
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2011, 07:31:11 pm »
Whilst I am thoroughly enjoying the journal I agree with Rolnikov that it would benefit with a general contents page at the front :)

Offline Jay Eales

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Factor  Fiction
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2011, 07:39:29 pm »

David

As a new convert with a Sony eReader, I'm still hoping for an ePub edition, if possible.

Jay

Offline DavidJHowe

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Telos Publishing
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2011, 08:56:46 am »

David

As a new convert with a Sony eReader, I'm still hoping for an ePub edition, if possible.

Jay
Unfortunately at the moment we can only sort the Kindle one - mainly because Kindle have a free conversion system so all we have to do is send a single email ...

We don't have the resources to be able to organise multiple formats I'm afraid. Sorry.

David
Telos Publishing: http://www.telos.co.uk
Doctor Who Merchandise: http://www.tardis.tv   
Howe's Who: http://www.howeswho.co.uk

Offline Jay Eales

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Factor  Fiction
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2011, 09:12:48 am »

David

Jay
Unfortunately at the moment we can only sort the Kindle one - mainly because Kindle have a free conversion system so all we have to do is send a single email ...

We don't have the resources to be able to organise multiple formats I'm afraid. Sorry.

David

I'm pretty new to the whole eReader thing, but don't most people use Calibre to convert from one format to another? And isn't that free? That seems to be able to convert from pretty much every format to every other format. Or is it that they have some kind of system where you just type in a list of email addresses and they'll automatically convert and send them for you?

If you can send a copy of the MOBI version to me, I'd be happy to see if I can convert it myself and report back.

Is it that you're getting Amazon/Kindle to do the conversion for you? That might be where the problem comes in, if they're adding DRM to the file.

Best,

Jay

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2011, 08:03:32 am »
Jay, the Kindle edition is I think basically just the text emailed to our @kindle.com addresses for ordinary document conversion, so you won't lose much if you request that version for yourself and run it through Calibre.

Dark Horizons 54 to 56 are available in epub format if any members would like a copy.

Offline Jay Eales

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Factor  Fiction
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2011, 09:43:57 am »
Jay, the Kindle edition is I think basically just the text emailed to our @kindle.com addresses for ordinary document conversion, so you won't lose much if you request that version for yourself and run it through Calibre.

Dark Horizons 54 to 56 are available in epub format if any members would like a copy.

Thanks for that, Stephen. Could you send me the Dark Horizons as EPUBs then, please? To jayDOTealesATgooglemailDOTcom.

And David - could I request the text version of the BFS Journal when you have the time. Ta muchly! If it's possible to send to my Googlemail address, that would be easiest for me. I think I set up a kindle account with Amazon to read on the laptop, but I'm not sure what the account address for that might be...

Thanks, gents!

Jay

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2011, 10:27:12 am »
Done! When I get a spare hour or two I'll get the ebook version of Dark Horizons 57 ready too and send you that - I didn't get around to doing it last year because I was so busy round about that time.