Author Topic: British Horror Society?  (Read 9372 times)

Offline Steppedonwolf

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.archivesofpain.com
British Horror Society?
« on: April 06, 2011, 12:23:03 am »
Johnny Mains posted a link to this on Friendface a few days ago - I'd never heard of it until then, but there are a lot of red flags.

Anyway, they decided to spam the British Horror Novels group on Facebook, so I asked them a few questions. Sorry it's not that in depth, but I think it gives enough away:

Adrian Chamberlin
Who IS the society, Thomas? Who makes up your committee, do you have some big names in the British horror field? And why are you charging competition entrants for the chance to design your own logo?
43 minutes ago LikeUnlike

[b]Thomas Smith It is a well known fact that everything starts small, it is also a well known fact that there is no official British Horror Society, so yes this is a work in progress, so watch this space.
38 minutes ago LikeUnlike

Adrian Chamberlin I'm well aware that everything starts small - little acorns and mighty oaks, etcetera. But you've not answered my questions. A work in progress is one thing - charging people to become a part of that work in progress is something else. 'Watching this space' isn't good enough. Who are you, and what do you have to offer the British horror industry that the British Fantasy Society can't already supply?
30 minutes ago LikeUnlike

Thomas Smith What can we offer that the British Fantasy society can't, well first of all we are more genre specific to horror and secondly we are going to be setting up events all around the country that are very Horror specific.
24 minutes ago LikeUnlike

Adrian Chamberlin Very commendable. But surely you can be a bit more open about yourselves? Again, I must ask: who are you as a society? Who is on the committee?
13 minutes ago LikeUnlike

Thomas Smith At the moment there is just the two of us, myself and a guy called Raine evans but like I said everything starts small and as we expand so will the commitee and so will our reputation, I am already working on lining up some reasonably big interviews but will not reveal any details till they are confirmed.

At this point I gave up.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 12:28:25 am by Steppedonwolf »
"A room without books is like a body without a soul." - Cicero

http://www.archivesofpain.com

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
Re: British Horror Society?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 07:44:37 am »
Hmm! I guess they're not really promising very much for the money members pay - an email every month - so they should be able to deliver. It'll be interesting to see whether they get any traction. Their plans to hold a convention this year seem ambitious.

Offline LouM

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Lou Morgan
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 08:49:49 am »
They've popped up on Twitter, too: there they seem to be talking about "Horror & goth social networking" (I might have got the phrasing wrong, but that's the gist) or something along those lines. I'm a bit confused by it all, to be honest. Mind you, we all know how easy that is to do....  ;)

Offline Steppedonwolf

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.archivesofpain.com
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 08:35:09 pm »
I was worried that I was being a bit confrontational on that, but when money is being asked for such a little return...I see red.  >:(

Surely if they'd been open and said: 'look chaps, we're new to the scene, we've got plans and we need your support - so free membership for the first year.'

I'd like to know what a 'reasonably big interview' is as well.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 08:37:34 pm by Steppedonwolf »
"A room without books is like a body without a soul." - Cicero

http://www.archivesofpain.com

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 07:11:23 pm »

williemeikle

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 08:14:23 pm »
It seems to have grown out of this mag:

http://www.chupacabramag.info/

As mentioned here:

http://www.loadingvideo.net/video/vxgCbQaqWHg/Ralph-McCurdles-for-Chupacabra-Magazine.html

Not a promising start...

"Over the coming months we will be introducing you to all manors of horror."

Big scary houses then?

Offline GraemeReynolds

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 07:19:12 pm »
I am currently looking into getting the UK Chapter of the HWA restarted. Its early days yet, but once I assess interest from the current HWA membership I will see how feasible it is.

I'll post semi regular updates on here as to any progress.

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 07:49:55 am »
I am currently looking into getting the UK Chapter of the HWA restarted. Its early days yet, but once I assess interest from the current HWA membership I will see how feasible it is.

I'll post semi regular updates on here as to any progress.

Count me in on helping to get a UK Chapter for the HWA restarted. But I think this could do with a thread of its own, not linked in with the British Horror Society, which looks like a dismal failure.

Cheers

David

Active Member, Horror Writers Association

Offline IanH

• BFS Reviewers
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 11:27:11 am »
Graeme

Yep, keep me informed about a revised UK HWA chapter, I'm a lapsed member of the old one.

Best

Ian

www.ian-hunter.co.uk

Offline mightyjoeyoung

• Whirlpool
  • Thaumaturge
  • To write. To be truly read. That must be glorious.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2011, 08:55:18 pm »
Any word on the UK HWA yet?

It doesn't seem to be doing much.

I joined the 'British Horror Society' a while ago, and there appears to be nothing whatsoever going on with it. The 'site' such as it is, remains, but I've seen more life in a normal everyday kind of cemetery. I thought it was a good idea, plenty of scope in the right hands, but it appears the hands are idle.

As for them wanting to charge for competition entries, it's purely optional. Looking at the HWA site and finding a membership fee of 40 plus so many rules and regulations over who can join, I am beginning to wonder if a 'British Horror Society' is such a bad idea after all.

Offline Colin (Black Abyss)

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • The Black Abyss
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2011, 09:05:09 pm »
Count me in as well.

Offline jim mcleod

• Bletherskite
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • The Ginger Nuts of Horror
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2011, 09:38:45 pm »
and me

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 08:56:19 pm »
I doubt anyone will be surprised to hear that this British Horror Society came to nothing and they've given up on the idea. And now they're inviting bids for the url.  ::)

Offline mightyjoeyoung

• Whirlpool
  • Thaumaturge
  • To write. To be truly read. That must be glorious.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2012, 09:34:32 am »
I doubt anyone will be surprised to hear that this British Horror Society came to nothing and they've given up on the idea. And now they're inviting bids for the url.  ::)

Where did you get that info from Stephen? I joined it months ago in the hopes it might actually do something, but it never quite got legs. I think being attacked early on might have put the owners off somewhat. It'd be interesting to see what they are hoping to get for the URL though.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2012, 09:35:28 am »
It's on their Facebook page.