Author Topic: What games have you been playing?  (Read 23493 times)

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
What games have you been playing?
« on: April 09, 2011, 11:30:46 AM »
The threads on books and films have done very well - do we have many gamers on the forums? And what games have you been playing lately?

I've just finished Crysis 2 on Xbox 360. Wasn't all that impressed. Being able to sneak around invisibly was fun, but I found the game a bit of a chore. And it seemed a bit unfinished: it was quite buggy, and there were a few sequences that ended with you getting behind the turret on a vehicle but didn't give you the chance to use it.

Offline John Forth

• Whirlpool
  • Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: What games have you been playing?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 01:45:27 PM »
Well, you're on my Xbox Live friends list but we haven't played anything together yet, so you may have spotted what I'm up to just now!

Finished Dragon Age 2, which despite repetitive environments had a surprisingly mature and deep 'low-fantasy' story. If you can forgive its graphical shortcomings then it's definitely worth a look. Apart from that, I'm zapping through a second playthrough of Mass Effect 2 in anticipation for the sequel, and awaiting Portal 2 at the end of this month.

Oh, I've also got Halo: Reach sitting there, which I'll get around to at some point. But I tend to play Halo co-op with the missus, so it needs both of us to be in the mood (ahem).

Offline Steppedonwolf

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.archivesofpain.com
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 07:57:59 PM »
Rolnikov, I was left cold by the first Crysis on PC, so I wasn't tempted to buy the sequel. Hell, haven't I melted enough graphics cards?  :)
Interesting that they've included all the console platforms this time (as EA will be doing with the sequel to American McGee's Alice) but very revealing that the console version hasn't been that satisfying.

I'm nostalgic for the first FarCry now...

"A room without books is like a body without a soul." - Cicero

http://www.archivesofpain.com

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 07:14:16 AM »
I've never had a PC powerful enough for gaming, so I tend to stick to consoles. My last PC only just managed to run Civ 3... My new one can just about handle Peggle!

I enjoyed Halo: Reach - a nice greatest hits package, although it's weird that Master Chief was the first Spartan to realise how useful it would be to hold two guns at once... Like a lot of action games, I rented it from Lovefilm, played it through, had a go at the easier achievements and sent it back. I finish a lot more games since I started renting them, which isn't what you might expect.

My gamertag is Rolnikov, if anyone else is on Xbox Live. I hardly ever play online (when the Xbox is on it's usually because Ranjna is watching films on the Sky Player), but I do love having friends' scores to aim for in leaderboards.

Offline Brantastian

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Nicholas
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 10:38:45 PM »
I'm on Dragon Age 2 at the moment, really enjoying it actually - it's a lot less fiddly than the first one. I never quite finished number one, in fact, because I got to the last fight and realised I had failed to pack sufficient health potions, and going back to a point in the game where I could acquire some more just seemed like too big of a chore. Confident that I will finish this one though; I like the fact that the moral decisions are not always straight forward. I appreciate a good storyline in a game, and am often disappointed (like with Castlevania, Lords of Shadow, which I also played recently. Quite fun, but the revelation of who the big bad guy is has to be one of the most ridiculous moments I have encountered in a game.) but here I have not been so far.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 07:03:20 AM »
I haven't finished Dragon Age: Origins yet either - my first run at it was interrupted by Mass Effect 2 coming out.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 05:20:14 PM »
In return for Crysis 2, Lovefilm have sent me Odyssey: Journey to the West, an sf version of the Monkey story.

My goodness I hate it. I don't think it's let me play for 60 continuous seconds yet, constantly wresting away control of my character to show me its landscapes, or robots, or dialogue, or cutscenes. Plus, your character is marvellously acrobatic - but only if you're trying to jump in the correct locations and in the right direction.

I like to play games, not watch them...

Offline John Forth

• Whirlpool
  • Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 07:01:09 PM »
I liked a few things about Odyssey: Journey to the West; but, yes, it was a case of "Press up on the left stick to win."

ChrisT

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 06:42:43 PM »
I've long decided not to bother spending a grand or more on a PC to play games, when I could save 200 on a PS3 and a decent-ish PC to run Word and Photoshop.  ;D

Ploughing my way through Red Dead Redemption and Gran Tourismo 5 Prologue; next, LA Noire when it comes out.

I wonder if they'll be interested in a gaming panel at FCon?

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2011, 07:08:06 PM »
That would be good - I think we missed a trick the year before last when the head of Rebellion was there! It was funny later that year to see him talking on an Xbox Live video about AvP and be able to say that I'd shared a panel with him.

I've been playing Clash of Heroes: Might and Magic (Xbox version) a lot lately. A nifty puzzle RPG, that thankfully lets you skip all the dialogue. Actually a bit stuck on it at the moment, which is something I haven't said about a game in a while.

Offline jim mcleod

• Bletherskite
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • The Ginger Nuts of Horror
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2011, 09:18:38 AM »
That would be good - I think we missed a trick the year before last when the head of Rebellion was there! It was funny later that year to see him talking on an Xbox Live video about AvP and be able to say that I'd shared a panel with him.

I've been playing Clash of Heroes: Might and Magic (Xbox version) a lot lately. A nifty puzzle RPG, that thankfully lets you skip all the dialogue. Actually a bit stuck on it at the moment, which is something I haven't said about a game in a while.

I loved the old Might And Magic games

ChrisT

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2011, 09:15:12 PM »

Jason Kingsley? :o

Still got my Atari Jaguar and the original AvP game he/they did for it; bloody scary it was (not any more, though).

Offline Phil Lunt

• BFS Reviewers
  • Thaumaturge
  • BFS Chair, collector of Boojums
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 06:31:04 PM »
I'm back on Fable 3 after leaving it to gather dust since before Xmas. It's not as good as Fable 2 but I think most folk know that! :D I think Molyneux fixed something that wasn't broken just to scratch an itch 8)
Got back into Fable after playing D&D:Daggerdale which I got a copy of for reviewing. I didn't think that was as bad as most folk made out but I'm not sure it's worth splashing out 1200 M$ points for...

I picked up LA Noire on release day and after hammering it for 3 days I've shelved it for a while so I don't just finish it and then feel guilty :D Good game just not as good as the hype.

I actually don't play games much these days... honest!

Offline jim mcleod

• Bletherskite
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • The Ginger Nuts of Horror
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2011, 07:12:28 PM »
I enjoyed Fable 3 right up to the finale, what a waste of time

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2011, 07:17:40 PM »
For a while I was playing Marvel Super Hero Squad: The Infinity Gauntlet, which was little more than okay, but the children wouldn't let me return it to Lovefilm till we'd played it to death...

Now it's Star Wars: Force Unleashed II, which I'm not mad about either, though the force powers are fun.

Jason Kingsley? :o

Yes, I think that was him. It was just after they'd bought Solaris. He was on the panel I moderated about ebooks, and talked a bit about the possibilities of interactive books.