Author Topic: What games have you been playing?  (Read 23556 times)

Offline joshua rainbird

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
  • Overlation stimuload...
    • View Profile
    • myspace/joshuarainbird
Re: What games have you been playing?
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2011, 11:36:22 PM »
dragon age 2 which I've completed - fun to run into various versions of the original sidekicks in different lifestyles (dependent on your outcomes of origins)

- upside - tactics and skill trees, grossly underdone in origins

- downside - a plethora of scene hopping (and cursed loading) in order to complete simple quests; male protagonist voicing is more wooden than an Aunt Sally; not enough variation in maps and layouts; limited choice of protagonists; the dodgiest accents I've ever heard; dull dull plot; the annoying elfess with the broken mirror

overall lacking the charm and polish of origins but more challenging in some of the gameplay
If wishes were horses then we'd all be eating steak.
Jayne Cobb, Firefly.

But ... if fishes were courses then we'd all be eating hake ...

Offline Steppedonwolf

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.archivesofpain.com
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2011, 11:44:12 AM »
I made the mistake of getting a PS3 last month. Dead Space 2 is on order, and knowing how much the first one (on the PC) sucked me in I can see that I'm not going to be getting much sunlight in the next few months...

I've heard some people say that the sequel is more combat-oriented, with less emphasis on the puzzles and exploration. Anyone find that?
"A room without books is like a body without a soul." - Cicero

http://www.archivesofpain.com

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2011, 07:50:02 PM »
I passed 30,000 Xbox gamerpoints today with a spell on Borderlands (which I'm enjoying a lot). It's only quite so high because of all the games I've rented and played for a weekend or two, but it was nice thinking back over all the adventuring involved.  :)

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2011, 04:46:04 PM »
Joe Abercrombie is in Edge #230, talking about some of his favourite games - Lords of Midnight, Elite, Mass Effect 2, Red Dead Redemption. He tends to squeeze in an hour and a half of gaming at the end of the day, but once spent six days straight on GTA: San Andreas. He says it's had a positive effect on the "strategic thinking" in his novels, saying that "You learn how important the high ground is if you play Total War a lot."

His single British Fantasy Award nomination gets a mention. It's bizarre how badly neglected UK fantasy writers are by our awards. That I have as many BFA nominations as Joe Abercrombie is profoundly daft...

Also some promising info in there about the new X-Com. Although it's a shooter, it's going to include the research elements of the original game.

Offline jim mcleod

• Bletherskite
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • The Ginger Nuts of Horror
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2011, 01:55:59 PM »
A new X-Com, lets hope it's better than the last couple of instalments.  The first three are among my all time favourite games

Offline P.G.Bell

• Initiate
  • Writer, reader, reviewer and podcaster of sf/f/h.
    • View Profile
    • Impossible Podcasts
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2011, 12:59:52 PM »
I used to be quite a serious gamer but have fallen seriously behind the times in the last ten years. Now I'm the proud(ish) owner of a Nintendo Wii that's steadily gathering dust, although I do get it out of mothballs to play Mario Kart whenever I get the chance.

I'm greatly intrigued by the new generation of MMOs though. We've just started a video game thread over at the Impossible Podcasts blog and I'm currently editing a review of Dragon Age 3, which sounds really rather good. The Dragon Age series, along with Mass Effect and Portal, keep coming up in conversation online and I can't help feeling I'm missing out. It's just a lack of time and money holding me back!
IMPOSSIBLE PODCASTS - Reviews and discussions of science fiction and fantasy on television, in books and in films, by a group of Cardiff-based fans! http://impossiblepodcasts.blogspot.com/

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2011, 12:10:26 PM »
I've been playing Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon. I was a big fan of the previous game, and was thoroughly enjoying this one, right up until the point where it suddenly ended. It's the most blatantly unfinished game I've played since Defcon 5, pretty much just a shell for downloadable content which may never arrive.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2011, 07:21:56 PM »
I've been playing the new XBLA War of the Worlds, narrated by Patrick Stewart, written by Christopher Fowler, and setting the story in 1950s (I think) London. To be honest it was a game I bought less to play than because I thought it would be interesting to review, but it's diverting so far, if a bit slow. At times the children were in hysterics at my lacklustre attempts to escape the death rays.

Offline jim mcleod

• Bletherskite
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • The Ginger Nuts of Horror
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2011, 08:41:52 AM »
SKYRIM. SKYRIM, AND MORE SKYRIM  ;D ;D ;D

Offline joshua rainbird

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
  • Overlation stimuload...
    • View Profile
    • myspace/joshuarainbird
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2011, 11:27:23 AM »
skyrim is rather addictive - I got my dragonscale armour and stupidly hit the wrong button and ended up wedgieing the jarl of whiterun - not a good idea, I might add  ::)
If wishes were horses then we'd all be eating steak.
Jayne Cobb, Firefly.

But ... if fishes were courses then we'd all be eating hake ...

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2011, 09:46:25 AM »
I'm afraid to buy Skyrim, to be honest. With Morrowind and Oblivion I was regularly playing till 2am and 3am and it was driving Ranjna nuts. With the latter I had to turn on the parental controls and limit myself to 12 hours a week. When my time was up each week I was as jittery as a junkie... So I've put it on my wishlist; if someone else buys me it for Christmas, I'm not responsible for the consequences.

It's really quite fortunate that I don't like online gaming, because I'd have been one of those guys who plays WoW non-stop until they drop dead at their desks.

Offline Ray

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2011, 05:44:42 PM »
I sold my last x-box due to an unhealthy addiction to Oblivion.

I've bought a new one and Skyrim and may need to sell it again - I've not written anything since buying it...

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2011, 04:19:11 PM »
Had Bulletstorm from Lovefilm for a couple of weeks, and that was good fun, with its laser leash, sliding, kicking, and skill shots. Playing other games, I'm already missing the kick button.

The dialogue was pretty funny, but one line offended the heck out of me. Hearing that the people who didn't fight well enough on a dangerous planet were left without bullets, the protagonist says, "Darwin would have been proud." Erm, no.

Also had Rage, but sent it back after half an hour. Barely distinguishable from Borderlands, and I only just got done with that.

Offline Pyroriffic

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Sarah Cawkwell's Blog
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2011, 01:28:52 PM »
I was lucky enough to get in on the beta test for Star Wars: The Old Republic and am now playing the early access live game.

I love it. It's  more engaging than World of Warcraft. And I get to be a Jedi Knight. With a lightsaber.

Tick that off the 'childhood fantasies to realise' list...
I reject your reality and substitute it with my own.

Offline CraigLockley

• BFS Reviewers
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Knifesedge PBeM RPGs
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2012, 11:22:05 AM »
Finally finished Dragon Age Origins, after I don't know how many years. Now have a shiny PS3 so playing Uncharted 3 as well as my very healthy addiction to Lord of the Rings Online (far superior to Wow)
Craig
BFS Indie Press and RPG Reviews Editor

So many books, so little time...