Author Topic: BFS Awards 2011 - Longlist now open for voting  (Read 16185 times)

Offline LeeH

• BFS Committee
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • BFS
Re: BFS Awards 2011 - Longlist now open for voting
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2011, 09:20:29 am »
Note that Pretty Little Dead Things (Gary McMahon) is an Angry Robot book, not Solaris, as mentioned above (though it's correct in the longlist form).
--------
FantasyCon 2014 Co-Chair

Offline DavidJHowe

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Telos Publishing
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2011, 09:52:56 am »
Note that Pretty Little Dead Things (Gary McMahon) is an Angry Robot book, not Solaris, as mentioned above (though it's correct in the longlist form).
Corrected and thanks for the spot Lee :)

David
Telos Publishing: http://www.telos.co.uk
Doctor Who Merchandise: http://www.tardis.tv   
Howe's Who: http://www.howeswho.co.uk

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2011, 10:57:05 am »
Thanks for providing that info, David!

To avoid confusion, it might be worth deleting these two stories from your post - they've been removed from the longlist:

‘Granny’s Grinning’ – Robert Shearman – Robinson (ineligible)
‘Melancholy Haunting Of Nicholas Parkes, The’ – Christopher Barker – Ex Occidente (author asked for it not to be considered)

Offline Ray

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2011, 11:45:40 am »
Why would someone not want a story considered?  Each to their own and all that, but am I missing something?  (Me, I wept for not being on it...)

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2011, 12:22:20 pm »
There are lots of different reasons. I remember Gorillaz withdrew their first album from the Mercury Prize, saying it would be an albatross around their necks. PS Publishing withdrew from the BFS small press award, partly so other people would have a chance. I withdrew TQF from the best magazine award this year because last year I felt so uncomfortable being both the awards admin and a nominee. For some artists I guess it's a bit like asking "Why don't all beautiful women enter beauty pageants?" - they see it as a bit degrading.

williemeikle

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2011, 12:34:37 pm »
Why would someone not want a story considered?  Each to their own and all that, but am I missing something?  (Me, I wept for not being on it...)

CB has always been pretty vocal in his disdain for awards.

Offline Ray

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2011, 03:09:57 pm »
Hadn't thought of it that way, but then when others vote for or nominate your appearance and you aren't actually writing in order to appear on an awards list, I guess I just see it as a bonus, a recognition and a well done.  I can understand why people may feel uncomfortable though, and it's commendable that some pull out to allow others the opportunity.

Offline Wroclaw

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2011, 08:28:34 pm »
Well now, if anyone wants to read the first chapter of Douglas Thompson's novel "Sylvow", by way of a taster for the book, they will find it on his website here:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/rona.macdonald1/allythompson/Sylvow-01.htm

Sylvow is reviewed by Ian Sales in the current Interzone (233), and a review by Pete Tennant is also in the new Black Static(22) hitting the shelves right now...

And of course, other chapters of the book were in Dark Horizons No.55 ("Vivienne's Garden") and New Horizons No.3 ("Veronika") and No.5 ("The Doctrine Of Signatures"), thus between all of those you can read nearly a quarter of the book free already...  8)

ChrisT

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2011, 07:42:36 pm »
All three long-listed Pendragon novellas can be read online here: http://www.pendragonpress.net/2011/04/15/bfa-2011-long-list-nominations/

Enjoy!

Offline allybird

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • Allyson Bird website
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2011, 07:33:31 pm »
My recommended story, 'The Last Supper' from my collection Wine and Rank Poison can be read in ISSUU format on my news page here....

http://www.birdsnest.me.uk/news.htm

ChrisT

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2011, 12:53:14 pm »
I like Issuu.... the page-flipping effect is excellent. :)

Offline allybird

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • Allyson Bird website
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2011, 01:37:07 pm »
I first saw it on your Pendragon site (I think) a few years back, and then Steve of Screaming Dreams Press, and I started to use it. Doesn't take long to do either :)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 01:40:53 pm by allybird »

Offline Wayne Mook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2011, 10:09:31 pm »
Well after messing up my form the first time I finally got my vote in and only with a few hours to go.

Not read any single author collections this year but hope to correct that soon, so much to read.

Wayne.