Author Topic: REISSUE Kim Newman's Anno Dracula  (Read 2692 times)

Offline Paul Campbell

• BFS Reviewers
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
REISSUE Kim Newman's Anno Dracula
« on: May 07, 2011, 01:25:02 pm »
I'm sure Pete's flagged this up already on  the BFS's news page, but for those who missed it -

- here's the amazon link:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Anno-Dracula-Kim-Newman/dp/0857680838/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1304769909&sr=1-1

I've got quite a few of Newman's books but, alas, I missed out on this when it first appeared almost 20 years ago (and if has now been out of print for the past 17). Despite living in the Glasgow/Edinburgh area, I've never in all those years came across a secondhand copy - and even the paperback goes for a pretty sum on eBay.

Well, thanks to the good folks at Titan Books itís now back in print, and not simply a reprint with a spanking new cover. Think of this as the DVD equivalent of a 20th Anniversary Special Edition, for it comes with 120 pages of bonus material: alternate scenes and endings, 16 pages of annotations, extracts from the authorís unproduced screenplay, essays and even a bonus short story. Also, the main text features minor corrections to the 1992 edition.

Titan will also reissue the other two novels in the sequence, together with the long-awaited fourth volume, Johnny Alucard.

Got my copy this morning, and Iím really chuffed to bites: glad, now, I didnít fork out for an old copy off eBay or Abebooks Ė this new B-format edition is far superior.

Offline Dave Brzeski

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
Re: REISSUE Kim Newman's Anno Dracula
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 11:47:22 pm »
Aaaargh! Just when I've resigned myself to the fact that every CD I've ever bought is going to be reissued remastered with bonus material (& then, should I be fool enough to succumb to the temptation to buy another copy, be reissued yet again with different/more bonus material) then they start doing the same with all the books I've bought.

May your fangs fall out Newman! LOL

Anyone who was hasn't already got the original should get this. It is a superb book & I'll be looking to find a cheap copy, just for the extras.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 05:29:52 pm »
I really loved Anno Dracula (I reviewed it here). I found it in Birmingham's Central Library. I was disappointed at the time that the follow-ups weren't easily available, so glad to hear reprints of those will follow.

Offline Karen Stevens

• BFS Reviewers
  • Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 01:48:52 pm »
Good news! I can retire my old (and extremely battered) copy  ;D

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Publisher, The Alchemy Press
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Peter Coleborn / Alchemy Press
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 02:33:39 pm »
I'm sure Pete's flagged this up already on  the BFS's news page,

Indeed, I did

Offline IanH

• BFS Reviewers
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 11:33:22 am »
Ahem, I'm ashamed to admit that I've got a signed hardback - I think most of my Kim Newman books are signed - but I actually won a special proof copy at Fantasycon the day after I got it signed and stupidly traded it in at Fantasy Centre so I wouldn't have two copies - what an idiot! But I will be buying this new edition and hopefully getting it signed at Fantasycon in Brighton.

Ian

www.ian-hunter.co.uk