Author Topic: Writing Groups  (Read 6360 times)

Offline Jec

• BFS Reviewers
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
Writing Groups
« on: June 01, 2011, 04:05:37 pm »
Having seen at least 4 mentioned today it made me wonder. How many here people go to Writing and/or SF/Horror/Fantasy groups?

And by that I mean leave-the-house-and-meet-people-face-to-face  groups, not the online variety.

Perhaps we should have a digest of groups by county?
Just a thought.   ;D
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 04:10:19 pm by Jec »

Offline Jec

• BFS Reviewers
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
Re: Writing Groups
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 04:09:24 pm »
Having seen at least 4 mentioned today it made me wonder. How many here people go to Writing and/or SF/Horror/Fantasy groups?

And by that I mean [i]leave-the-house-and-meet-people-face-to-face[/i]  groups, not the  online varieties.

Perhaps we should have a digest of groups by county?
Just a thought.   ;D

Just to set the ball rolling...

There is the regular Wednesday night Renegade Writers Group at the Jolly Potters public house, Hartshill, Stoke-on-Trent.  Not specifically SF/Fantasy/Horror - but heavily biased in that direction.
http://en-gb.facebook.com/people/Rene-Writers-Group/100001754558490

« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 04:11:32 pm by Jec »

Offline CarolineC

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 07:28:05 pm »
I must admit, I'd love to find one local to my area (West Yorkshire) which is genre-specific. The only time I've been involved for a short while in a local group, I was considered a bit of an oddity for my writing preferences!  :D
Please 'like' Frightful Horrors on Facebook
www.facebook.com/frightfulhorrorsuk

Offline Selina

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • The Girly Comic & Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 08:06:18 pm »
And we have The Speculators every Wednesday night at the Quaker Friends Meeting House on Queens Road in Leicester, 7-9pm (followed by a trip to the pub). As you can guess from the name we are largely writers doing speculative fiction of one kind or another. Also, like today, we have optional longer critiquing sessions on some Saturdays.

Our blogs/FB groups etc are all out of date at the moment.

Offline Jec

• BFS Reviewers
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 09:46:50 am »
And we have The Speculators every Wednesday night at the Quaker Friends Meeting House on Queens Road in Leicester, 7-9pm (followed by a trip to the pub). As you can guess from the name we are largely writers doing speculative fiction of one kind or another. Also, like today, we have optional longer critiquing sessions on some Saturdays.

Our blogs/FB groups etc are all out of date at the moment.

Thanks Selina.

No groups outside the midlands then  8)

Offline Shaun Jeffrey

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shaunjeffrey.com
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 08:08:49 am »
They try to stop me attending, but I crash the Renegade Writers Group  ;)
The Kult

People are predictable. That's what makes them easy to kill.

Offline Jec

• BFS Reviewers
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 09:08:04 am »
They try to stop me attending, but I crash the Renegade Writers Group  ;)

Yeah - but what can we do... ::)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 10:49:42 am by Jec »

Offline Karen Stevens

• BFS Reviewers
  • Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 08:47:00 pm »
Well if anyone's living in the south London area and would like to set one up, get in touch!  :)

Offline P.G.Bell

• Initiate
  • Writer, reader, reviewer and podcaster of sf/f/h.
    • View Profile
    • Impossible Podcasts
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 04:28:07 pm »
A couple of friends and I have formed an "accidental" writing group. We're all writers and readers of sci-fi and fantasy, who happen to know each other socially. We meet up every month or two when we find the distractions of daily life are getting in the way of putting words on pages, and spend a day in the local library, hard at work. Then we have dinner, share a few glasses of wine and assess each others' work.

I'm extremely lucky in that everyone involved is absolutely honest about the strengths and weaknesses of each piece. We'll usually take a copy of each others' work away with us, to re-read through the week so we can provide some more detailed notes once we've given the dust a chance to settle.

I realise this isn't a writing group in the usual sense but, as I said. I'm extremely lucky!
IMPOSSIBLE PODCASTS - Reviews and discussions of science fiction and fantasy on television, in books and in films, by a group of Cardiff-based fans! http://impossiblepodcasts.blogspot.com/

Offline Jec

• BFS Reviewers
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 04:56:04 pm »
A couple of friends and I have formed an "accidental" writing group.

Always good. I belong to a closed group as well as the Renegade Writers.

For those living in Birmingham and surrounding parts -  I should point you toward the Cannon Hill Writers  http://www.cannonhillwriters.com/

Offline Steph King

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 07:05:23 pm »
I go to Watford Writers on Monday evenings. Nice people, lots of different styles.

http://www.watfordwriters.co.uk/

Offline sandranorval

• Whirlpool
  • Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Sandra Norval
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 08:47:00 pm »
I've been to two fantastic circles, Verulam Writers Circle (hosts of Get Writing) which is a superb group which gives straight honest critique in a completely supportive way, also East Herts Fantasy Writers, a small group of very talented writers which meets once a month.

Verulam Writers - www.vwc.org.uk

East Herts Fantasy Writers don't have a public website but you can find them on Facebook.

I'm just about to move to Horsham so will be trying out Horsham Writers but would love to hear about any others, especially if they are fantasy based.
Sandra Norval

Chapter One of Libertine available at www.sandranorval.co.uk
Also find me on facebook and twitter (@sandranorval and @enterthetwixt)

Offline MichaelaS

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2011, 12:29:38 am »
I didn't mean for my first post on this forum to be a plug for my writing group, but since you ask...

Yes, I run one in London. We meet once a month for critiques, genre/writing discussion, some workshop style stuff and of course plenty of banter. We are a mixture of scifi/fantasy/horror writers.

Cola Factory - http://colafactory.wordpress.com

Offline CarolineC

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2011, 11:54:27 am »
Hey folks, those of you who belong to/run genre-related writing groups, don't forget to let me know via news@britishfantasysociety.org if you'd like me to post some news about your writing group on the BFS website - dates/times of meetings, etc. At the moment, I only have one or two people who regularly let me know what their writing group is doing, so more would be great. Thanks!  :)
Please 'like' Frightful Horrors on Facebook
www.facebook.com/frightfulhorrorsuk

Offline Andy W Marsden

• BFS Secretary
  • Global Moderator
  • Initiate
  • Call me Doc. I write horror.
    • View Profile
    • AWMarsden.com
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2011, 05:34:56 pm »
I must admit, I'd love to find one local to my area (West Yorkshire) which is genre-specific. The only time I've been involved for a short while in a local group, I was considered a bit of an oddity for my writing preferences!  :D

Might be interesting to try setting one up ourselves then Caroline? I'm in Huddersfield, if that's anywhere near you?

Any other Tykes or Terriers up for a good excuse for a booze-up and a laugh? up for sharing good practice and advice?
I should probably stop volunteering for things...

Twitter/Instagram: @AndyWMarsden