Author Topic: Potential BFS Pubmeets In York  (Read 3123 times)

Offline @mangozoid

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Potential BFS Pubmeets In York
« on: December 09, 2011, 11:36:21 am »
  Hmmm... I was on the Forum discussing BFS Awards and managed to veer off on a tangent discussing potential Pubmeet-style gatherings for the North/York area, so I figured it may be worth opening the topic up separately, and see what reaction we might have..

I have already mentioned elsewhere that during NaNoWriMo this year, the majority of York-based participants 'adopted' a pleasant cafe for their Write-Ins and general get-togethers called simply No. 44 -- this is located at 44 The Shambles (probably the most famous street in York, so easy to find).

Since I myself am usually only free during the day, I did wonder whether it was worth proposing this as a potentially easy place to find fellow BFS Members... the cafe is open the majority of the day through 'til 6pm and has a comfortable (albeit relatively small) lounge area upstairs -- there are also two internet-connected PCs (cost to use is 1 for 30mins I've just found out) -- they also serve snacks, cakes, etc... I only mention this because it's easy to find and could at least serve as a 'starting point' for now?

It's just a thought, but if I'm in town and have my netbook to hand I invariably end up in here for a cuppa at some point, anyway -- there is no shortage of alternative pub/bar/cafe-style venues for those wishing to continue on into the evening.

I am really just sending the message out there to try and gauge general opinion, because it's pretty much the only thing I personally feel I'm 'missing out on' as a BFS member...

@mangozoid

« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 11:42:57 am by mangozine »

Offline CarolineC

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
Re: Potential BFS Pubmeets In York
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 12:37:24 pm »
Hi mangozoid - I'd be quite interested in such a meet-up. But I actually live near Leeds/Bradford so it would have to be something which was arranged in advance, rather than just turn up on the day and see if there was anyone there. But I work from home and can arrange time off through the day. In fact, a daytime meet (preferably afternoon) is probably better for me than an evening one due to difficulties driving back from York late at night!

So, yes, if you can arrange something, I'll do my best to get there. I enjoyed Lee's York "dos" when I could get to those, but it was the late evening timing which was the problem for me there too.

It's about time I went to York in the daytime again - to have a good look round. The last time I was there was at night - a Jethro Tull concert at the Grand Opera House!  :)
Please 'like' Frightful Horrors on Facebook
www.facebook.com/frightfulhorrorsuk

Offline @mangozoid

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 04:34:21 pm »
  Hiya Caroline -- well I for one don't foresee a problem arranging a daytime/early evening meet if there's enough interest -- at the moment I wouldn't recommend anyone visit York during the day, it's absolutely heaving with Christmas/tourist shoppers...

Of course, some people will be overjoyed to hear there's both a Made In Yorkshire Craft Market (St. Sampson's Square) and the annual York Festive Fayre (Parliament Street) on at the moment, but it does make getting around rather difficult -- I would say it'd be relatively easy to arrange daytime get-together's in the New Year if there are enough people free... it's just a case of whether or not there's enough interest in making them regular-ish -once every 1 or 2 months would be nice- and whether daytimes or evenings are easier for people...

The whole point of starting this topic is just to see if there's enough interest in arranging such a thing, and again if there are more people available in the evenings then I'll bow to the majority and try to ensure I book those particular evenings off in order to attend -- at a guess I'd say we want to gain at leat 10-12+ supporters of the idea... And I'm not averse to doing a similar thing in Leeds (instead of York) if that's where the majority of potential attendees are... Anyone else willing to add their thoughts, I'd very much appreciate it...

Caroline, I note you're the online News Editor? Surely this is just the sort of thing that should be going into the BFS Newsletter or into the online News section (or at least directing them to the Forums) -- are there any other 'pockets' of BFS Members in other areas willing to arrange such things? Probably all post-Xmas now, I would have thought...

R A Bardy (Twitter: @mangozoid)

Offline CarolineC

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 09:33:49 pm »
Hi Mango - re putting this kind of news on the website, yes, once events are arranged then they'd go on our events calendar (right-hand side of main website). But while they're being arranged, I reckon the best place to do that is on the forum like this. Martin is in charge of events, and he does the e-newsletter too, so he'd be happy to publicise any events which are arranged in the newsletter too, I'm sure.

There was a "push" a while ago to get people to arrange events in their local areas, but not many people came forward I'm afraid. Lee did his ones in York, and then there was the Manchester one previously mentioned. I think there was talk of one in Wales, but I'm not sure if anything got arranged there. I'm sure if anyone else wants to arrange a local event, it'd be fine to go ahead. I don't want to speak for Martin, but I'm sure he'd help out with publicising them, give advice and so on.

By the way, I did a kind-of BFS event a little while ago - but I did it the easy way! I liased with my local literature festival to do a reading event as part of that festival. It was good fun! If anyone wants to speak to me about how to go about arranging that kind of thing, please get in touch with me and I'll do what I can to help. I had hoped to try to arrange a few more in other areas in the coming year, but my role as news editor means I'm pretty much up to my eyes in things to do so I'm not going to be able to do that too.

Also, Mango, re a possible York meet-up, I know three or four other members who don't get on this forum much or at all, who might possibly be interested. If it looks like a possibility (ie. if anyone else is interested too) let me know and I'll get in touch with them.

Please 'like' Frightful Horrors on Facebook
www.facebook.com/frightfulhorrorsuk