Author Topic: The Joy of Technology by Roy Gray  (Read 3170 times)

Offline Roy

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
The Joy of Technology by Roy Gray
« on: August 27, 2011, 04:32:30 pm »
It's a horror story, it's SF, it's rude and it's a chapbook due out from Pendragon Press at Fantasyson 2011. Merely 3, even less if you buy more than two chapbooks from Pendragon, or more than 2 copies.
Here is the cover image

Offline Roy

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
Re: The Joy of Technology by Roy Gray
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 07:48:37 pm »

Offline Andrew Hook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • http://www.andrew-hook.com
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 09:27:52 am »
Looks good Roy!

Offline Roy

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 11:15:05 pm »
Thanks Andrew.
Dominic Green who has had more than 20 stories in Interzone, been nominated for a Hugo (The Clockwork Atom Bomb) and made Gardner Dozois' Year's Best selections at least twice has posted his review of The Joy of Technology on his Facebook page. So I've extracted it and posted it here for you.

Finally had a chance to read *The Joy of Technology* by Roy Gray in full, and it is indeed very, very rude. Being an SF story about the future of sex aids, though, it's going to be, and the rudeness never feels gratuitous. I found the story engaging, the characters well drawn, the jokes funny, and the setting depressingly realistic (the sort of father you don't want to have giving his son the sort of coming-of-age present a father shouldn't give).

Complaints? A couple of German spelling mistakes, and a lack of hyphens and commas in appropriate places (at one point the story referred to 'flat speaker panels cum projector screens', and given the subject matter, I found myself wondering what manner of device a cum projector might be). I'm afraid, though, that reality has overtaken art as far as Manchester City are concerned - Roy evidently didn't consider it possible at the time of writing that the Blues might dominate the Reds. Football, like lightspeed experiments under the Alps, has proven JBS Haldane right - the universe is not only stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we *can* imagine.
Roy's half-page apology for being rude at the beginning of his rude story was also very sweet.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 11:18:01 pm by Roy »

Offline Roy

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 06:40:12 pm »

Offline Roy

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 07:42:20 pm »
Not really a review but a comment from Ian Sales about The Joy of Technology,
This is a chapbook published by Pendragon Press. The author is a friend of mine. The technology in question is that used in sex clubs in Germany in order to better titillate customers. The customers, in this case, are a coachload of football fans from the UK, visiting Germany as their team is playing away. A father introduces his son to the joys of travelling onto the Continent to see a footy match, and also to the delights to be had before and after the match. Gray pulls no punches, and if his story dehumanises its characters I suspect that was its intent. It does trail off a bit towards the end, and perhaps would have been much improved by a punchier finale.

Offline Roy

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 12:03:46 am »
has now been reviewed by Tom Crouch on the BFS website. Not a glowing review I must admit.