Author Topic: Overhaul of the British Fantasy Awards  (Read 40620 times)

Offline Dave Brzeski

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
Re: Overhaul of the British Fantasy Awards
« Reply #285 on: December 05, 2011, 12:41:25 AM »
Those Moorcock books were so short that it was a weekend's enjoyment just to read them - and they were fast reads too. I never minded that they were in long series - not till he started to link all his heroes into one. That became tedious and when, I think, I lost interest in them. The Eternal Hero - or whatever he called him - was a mistake, I think. Until then I loved the various series he started. In fact I reread most of them not long ago and enjoyed them just as much as I originally did.

That whole Eternal Champion interconnected series thing was what I liked best about the Moorcock books back then. Can't please 'em all I suppose.  ;D

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
« Reply #286 on: December 05, 2011, 09:22:25 AM »
That was it, of course, not the Eternal Hero - the Eternal Champion.

The thing that bothered me about this development was that it was so obviously an afterthought and there were so many things that didn't square up to this new mythology that Moorcock had dreamed up to connect all his fantasy characters together, not to mention that he even tried to squeeze Jerry Cornelius into it! That was when I gave up on it, I'm afraid. Still, on his Elric and Hawkmoon series alone, Moorcock still stands a giant, in my eyes at least, of fantasy writers and a well deserved winner of those early Derleth Awards.

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Publisher, The Alchemy Press
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Peter Coleborn / Alchemy Press
« Reply #287 on: December 05, 2011, 09:23:32 AM »
That whole Eternal Champion interconnected series thing was what I liked best about the Moorcock books back then. Can't please 'em all I suppose.  ;D

I quite agree with you.

And such a wonderful anecdote, Phil.

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
« Reply #288 on: December 05, 2011, 10:48:27 AM »

I quite agree with you.

And such a wonderful anecdote, Phil.

I remember that event too. It was the first time I ever signed a book - and that's something you don't forget!

Offline GaryC

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: December 10, 2011, 12:58:11 PM »
Academic now, as the resolutions have been voted in, but out of curiosity... I asked these questions a page before a half-dozen pages of heated debate broke out and they weren't answered.

Why has the wordcount boundary between short fiction and novellas been changed (from 10,000 words to 15,000 words)?

Also, the wording of the Best Screenplay Award rules excludes films and television made in foreign languages.