Author Topic: Hello  (Read 4184 times)

Offline Andrew Kniveton

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Hello
« on: November 30, 2011, 01:32:51 pm »
Hello, folks

My name's Andrew and I'm a big fan of fantasy, both as a field of writing and as a genre in itself. I live on the Isle of Man and work in the financial services sector. I enjoy reading and most other things, though particularly film, music, eating out, walking and travel.

I'd consider myself to be a keen reader but confess that, whilst I've harboured an interest to write for some time, I haven't yet written any substantive creative material despite having experienced several urges to do so.

I happened across the British Fantasy Society's website only a few days ago, having heard of the organisation in passing, and thought that it might be a good idea for me to join the internet forum to chat to some of you and obtain greater exposure to fantasy being written in the UK.

Having read a selection of posts on the forum I can see that the vast majority of you are established writers (both published and, hopefully, soon-to-be-published). I'd be very interested to hear how some of you came to take up writing as a craft; particularly how you initially set out on the journey and how you've progressed and developed since then.

I look forward to seeing you around the forum.

Andrew

Offline jim mcleod

• Bletherskite
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • The Ginger Nuts of Horror
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 03:11:15 pm »
Hello Andrew nice to meet you

Offline Mike Chinn

• Thaumaturge
  • Cavy Slave
    • View Profile
    • Displacement Activity
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 03:26:46 pm »
Welcome, Andrew.
Mike Chinn

Offline Jim Steel

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Panglossian Hubris
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 03:32:02 pm »
Hi Andrew. I write because I'm a failed guitarist - trying to get musicians to work together is like trying to herd cats. As a writer I'm only answerable to myself. And if I don't write I'm miserable.

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 03:35:31 pm »
Hi Andrew. As soon as you get settled in, I hope you start to feel the benefit of what the society has to offer.

Offline Colin (Black Abyss)

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • The Black Abyss
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 06:51:41 pm »
Hi Andrew,

Welcome to the BFS and good luck with the writing career.

Offline Andrew Kniveton

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 10:08:18 pm »
Thank you all for the warm welcome.

As a bit of an aside, I understand that the BFS Journal is published for members but wondered if there was somewhere where I might be able to obtain a sample (perhaps from one of the older Journals or separate magazines?). I've had a look at the sneak preview for the Winter 2011 Journal on the BFS news page and am curious to find out a little more.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 11:44:36 am »
I could post you a couple of issues of Prism, if you like, from before it was merged into the journal? I've got a few duplicates.

Offline Andrew Hook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • http://www.andrew-hook.com
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 03:23:04 pm »
Hi Andrew. I'm also Andrew. Welcome to the BFS.

Like many of us, I write because I can't not write. It's simply a part of me.

Offline Andrew Kniveton

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2011, 07:51:53 am »
I could post you a couple of issues of Prism, if you like, from before it was merged into the journal? I've got a few duplicates.

That's a very kind offer, thank you Stephen. I'd like to take you up on it if that's okay. I'll send you a message.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2011, 10:06:16 am »
Sure. Just found a copy of Dark Horizons 55 I can send too.

Laura Hart

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 05:32:10 pm »
Hi Andrew,

I'm new to the BFS also, I've just published my first novel and I'm wading through the mire of what one does next. I too write because I'd probably burst if I didn't.
I actually heard about the BFS when I was seeking reviews for The Toy Sorcerer - and received a great one from them, so if you're going to write fantasy, you're probably in the best place for advice and support.

All best,

Laura Hart

http://www.britishfantasysociety.co.uk/reviews/the-toy-sorcerer-by-lara-hart-book-review/