7 (25.9%)
No
16 (59.3%)
Don't know
2 (7.4%)
We can do polls?
2 (7.4%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Should we abolish the BFS awards?  (Read 13587 times)

Offline GaryC

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Should we abolish the BFS awards?
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2011, 01:11:59 pm »
I was very proud of the awards that Elastic Press received and, as Lee says, the recognition by your peers is invaluable. It also assisted when our reps were pushing books into bookstores. Many writers (and editors and publishers) are working in a vacuum and the knowledge that 'out there' others are reading and appreciating your work is immensely gratifying.

As the editor of one of the Elastic Press anthologies that won, I'm very proud of my BFS Award. It sits in my front room.

Also don't forget that the BFS has itself won an award - the World Fantasy special award in 2000.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2011, 01:27:09 pm »
I have just the head of an award, a prototype for the 2010 statuette... It sits balefully atop my monitor.

Offline Wayne Mook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2012, 09:44:05 pm »
Well I guess this time the arguements really exploded due to the last awards.

To be honest getting the membership to vote is the hardest thing.

Me, I'm in favour of the awards, the bring a light to the field and to the society. Hey we even made the national press, even if it was in a bad way.

I even voted for the new rules, like Stephen I have my doubts but it more a 'seen to be doing something' type of situation.

As for a jury have a look at the Booker to see how that creates even more problems.

Remember there is no such thing as bad press, being totally ignored will and was killing the society.

Wayne.