Author Topic: Voting opens for British Fantasy Awards  (Read 22345 times)

Offline CarolineC

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
Voting opens for British Fantasy Awards
« on: February 11, 2012, 03:12:43 pm »
Voting for the British Fantasy Awards is now open and will close on 31 March 2012.

The new constitution for the awards may be found here:

http://www.britishfantasysociety.co.uk/the-british-fantasy-awards-constitution-ii/

Members of the BFS (votes cast by a member whose membership expires after the vote is cast remain valid), members of FantasyCon 2011 and members of FantasyCon 2012 who register before voting closes on 31 March 2012 are eligible and encouraged to vote for works published for the first time in the English language in any part of the world in any format during the calendar year January to December 2011.

Each member may put forward up to three Recommendations in any category, expressed in preferential order. All Recommendations should ideally be accompanied with publication details: year of publication, publisher, and title of collection, magazine, editor, etc, if applicable.

Recommendations may not be made for the recommenderís own material.  The British Fantasy Society discourages the practice of canvassing for votes.

The four titles or names with the highest number of Recommendations will go forward to form the shortlist of nominations.

In the case of the award for Best Novel, members are invited to list up to three Recommendations in the categories of Horror and Fantasy.

The voting form is available here:

http://bfawards.britishfantasysociety.co.uk/index.php?sid=94577

Thank you for voting and please spread the word! Postal voting forms are available by request from the Awards Administrator.

Regards,

Sarah Ann Watts
BFS Awards Administrator
bfsawards@britishfantasysociety.org
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 06:53:02 pm by CarolineC »
Please 'like' Frightful Horrors on Facebook
www.facebook.com/frightfulhorrorsuk

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Publisher, The Alchemy Press
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Peter Coleborn / Alchemy Press
Re: Voting opens for British Fantasy Awards
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 05:22:59 pm »
Maybe I'm dense, but where do we nominate/vote? I'm not sure what the "survey" link is for.

Offline SAWatts

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 05:50:47 pm »
Hello Peter,

The link takes you to the voting form.

Sarah

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 06:00:08 pm »
The new constitution says that the items with "the highest number of recommendations" will make up the shortlist, and while it mentions ranking them 1st, 2nd and 3rd, doesn't say what practical effect that will have. Have you decided how it will work? Will all three recommendations have equal weight? Will the preferences only come into play in the result of a tie?

On the voting form best novel has been divided into two categories, which seems sensible. Unfortunately, though, it's not what the membership voted for - they voted to make two awards out of the same category. If they're two separate categories, "(*In the event of a dispute over genre category, definition shall rest with the author.)" wouldn't come into it, since if they're two separate categories, books will be eligible to compete in both.

Maybe I'm dense, but where do we nominate/vote? I'm not sure what the "survey" link is for.

There's a next button at the bottom that takes you to the bit where you can make recommendations.

Offline CarolineC

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 06:54:11 pm »
Yes, slight error in putting "survey" instead of "voting form". I've amended it now. Sorry!  :'(

I don't know about the answers to your questions, Stephen. Hopefully Sarah can pop on here again soon and clarify.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 06:56:05 pm by CarolineC »
Please 'like' Frightful Horrors on Facebook
www.facebook.com/frightfulhorrorsuk

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 10:08:59 am »
Yes, slight error in putting "survey" instead of "voting form". I've amended it now. Sorry!  :'(

I don't know about the answers to your questions, Stephen. Hopefully Sarah can pop on here again soon and clarify.

Oh right. Makes better sense to call it a voting form rather than survey. Thanks Caroline  ;)

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 10:14:32 am »
I had hoped the endless discussions over the awards wouldn't be reignited when the voting / nominations started. However, Mr T does raise some valid questions.

Offline SAWatts

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 11:53:34 am »
Hello

Firstly - apologies for the survey/voting form confusion. That was my error in the copy I sent to Caroline which she has kindly amended.

In response to your questions, Stephen - there is no intention to alter the resolutions the membership voted for. The reason there are opportunities for members to list their preferences for best novel under fantasy and horror is simply down to the design constraints of the voting form. We wanted to give the membership the chance to indicate if they felt a work fell under fantasy or horror and it wasn't possible to have a tick box to mark f or h - hence the separation on the form.

There will be one shortlist for best novel  - the total votes will be counted towards the shortlist - a title doesn't lose out simply because it gains votes in both categories.

With regard to 1st, 2nd and 3rd - the preferences will only come into play in the event of a tie.

Sarah

Offline jared

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 11:54:26 am »
Thanks Sarah!

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2012, 12:34:49 pm »
Thanks for clearing that up!

Re the best novel category, doesn't that mean we are getting to make six recommendations in that category rather than three?

And from what you say, if I recommend the same book in horror and fantasy that will count as two recommendations for that book when you're drawing up the shortlist.

Offline Selina

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • The Girly Comic & Blog
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2012, 01:12:37 pm »
I would like a little clarification on the screenplay eligibility:

"Screenplay
Eligibility:  a screenplay for TV, Film or Electronic Broadcast released in the English language in any part of the world during the relevant year."

Are subtitled and dubbed versions of foreign language films eligible? Or is it only things that were originally written/broadcast in English?

Offline Del Lakin-Smith

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2012, 03:03:49 pm »
Please note that due to a security limitation on the server that hosts the awards form. When adding links please remove any prefixes i.e. http or www etc.

For example
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cyber-Circus-ebook/dp/B005TLPD6G/ref=tmm_kin_title_0?ie=UTF8&m=A3TVV12T0I6NSM

Should be amazon.co.uk/Cyber-Circus-ebook/dp/B005TLPD6G/ref=tmm_kin_title_0?ie=UTF8&m=A3TVV12T0I6NSM

If you receive an error saying Access Denied it will be because of misformed hyperlinks.

Thanks for your support and patience.

Del.

Offline SAWatts

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2012, 04:35:39 pm »
Thanks Del.

Selina, can I check the criteria for screenplays and get back to you?

Stephen, yes members can nominate up to 3 titles under horror and up to 3 titles under fantasy if they wish.

But - a vote for the same novel in both categories will count as 1 vote for the shortlist - not 2 :)

So: Voter 1 under horror - novels A,B,C - under fantasy novels D,E,F - novels A to F get 1 vote each for the shortlist.

Voter 2 - under horror - novels A,B,D - under fantasy C,D,F - D gets 1 vote not 2 - A,B,C and F get 1 vote.

Sarah

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2012, 05:56:35 pm »
Thanks, Sarah. Seems like a good way to implement the new rules.

Re the screenplay category, when the proposal was made Gary Couzens did point that out that the new wording seemed to exclude foreign language productions, and it wasnít changed, so presumably itís deliberate. I guess it would be pretty hard to judge the quality of a screenplay in a foreign language... Will be interesting to hear what you decide, though.

One other interesting change in that category is that new US programmes that haven't been shown here yet, like Alcatraz, Grimm and Once Upon a Time, are eligible again under the new rules. (No idea if any of those are good - just using them as an example.)

Offline Selina

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • The Girly Comic & Blog
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2012, 08:30:09 pm »
Thanks Sarah. I assume it will be as Stephen says but wanted to make sure.